Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: GeForce GTX 660

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the gtx 660 running very easily, however I am on 10.8.1. However now whenever the computer sleeps and I wake it up from sleep, there is no display even though the graphics card appears to be running. Anyone else have thi problem? I'm fairly sure its something to do with my motherboard (ga-z77-ds3h) but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Have you tried disabling automatic sleep, and only use manual sleep to see it helps?

I got it to work, but it's a no go on 10.8.2. What setting should I have for 10.8.2? I can't run the Nvidia drivers on 10.8.2 cause it says it's already installed. Any advice for this?

vemacs here suggests to

Find archive.pax.gz inside the nvidia package in the Finder, use kext utility to install.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...i-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-84.html#post455284

vczilla has patched nvidia drivers for 10.8.2. He also has prepared special opencl etc packages.
Some people report success with this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...i-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-83.html#post454422

Have you tried disabling automatic sleep, and only use manual sleep to see it helps?

Neither of them worked, but after some fiddling around it seems the top pci express x16 slot is faulty (unless ive missed some important bios setting), which is annoying caus in the bottom slot the card blocks 2 sata ports :/. Anyways at least waking from sleep now :)

@pmeisner - Have the same MSI Frozr GTX 660 card as you but unfortunately I upgraded to 10.8.2 just before I bought it.

Have managed to install the 10.8.1 drivers, but get stuck in a startup loop with -v showing com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication as the culprit. Safe mode works fine however.

As I'm running a dual-boot with Windows, I think I'll wait for the 10.8.2 nVidia drivers to come out and then try again.

@pbryanw: ... hmm... and you have Graphics Enabler set to NO ?

Well...I think Im gonna wait with the update to 10.8.2.

...Btw...It's a nice card, but the performance under OS X is really bad right now. Guild Wars 2 runs with "only" max 70-80 fps but with drops down to 10-20 fps. The odd part is that it doesn't matter what the graphics settings are - even if i lower the graphic details i don't get better performance. In windows I can run GW2 at best quality with steady fps around 90-100 or so.

I think it's a driver problem, but could of cause be the result of the combination that GW2 for mac is only a beta-version and that the GTX 660 is fairly new.

by the way....wake-up from sleep seems to be broken now.

Thanks for the performance info pmeisner - much appreciated. I suppose the card has just come out so it will take time for it to get good support (and for sleep issues to be fixed/worked around).

Unless someone comes out with another solution, I think I'll wait for the 10.8.2 drivers to come out. GraphicsEnabler is set to No and I've also tried NPCI=0x3000.

can someone with this card working try final cut pro x please?

as there are some issues with 660 Ti in final cut pro x (interface hang ups while working), it would be really nice to know if this card behaves as 660 ti or if it works without problems like 670 or 680.

this card would be very good for editing station, pricewise and performance wise. including cuda support for Adobe...

here is a link to fcp trial: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

tx

I've tried working a little wit FCP-X, and it seems to work fine with the GTX 660 - no hangups so far!

thank you pmeisner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back