1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
cloverbeast.png

Test Drive: How to Create a Clover USB

Creating a Clover USB allows experimentation with Clover bootloader on a working system without modifying anything. Boot from the resulting USB and choose your system drive to see how Clover works for your rig. For a more complete guide including OS X installation, see here.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 8.27.02 PM.png
4. Click on the Partition tab
5. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
6. Click Options...
7. Choose GUID Partition Table
8. Under Name: type USB
9. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
10. Click Apply then Partition11. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
12. Open Clover package installer
13. Hit Continue, Continue, Change Install Location...
14. Choose USB
15. Hit Customize and install Clover to the USB with the following Custom Install settings:
Legacy-USB.jpg
(Legacy Mode)

UEFI.jpg
(UEFI Boot Mode)

NOTE: There are a few different ways to setup Clover on the USB. Using Legacy Mode is the simplest and most reliable for 5, 6, 7, and 8 series Gigabyte motherboards with standard default BIOS or UEFI settings. For all other UEFI-based systems such as Asus 7 and 8 series motherboards, use UEFI Boot Mode to install to the EFI partition of the USB for UEFI booting only.

A few more changes need to be made to the default Clover installation:

16. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist*
17. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add FakeSMC.kext
18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add your ethernet kext
19. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
20. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

*See the sample config.plist at the main guide here for a working minimal configuration.

Clover Developers:
Slice, with help of Kabyl, usr-sse2, jadran, Blackosx, dmazar, STLVNUB, pcj, apianti, JrCs, pene, FrodoKenny, skoczy, ycr.ru, Oscar09, xsmile, SoThOr…

Source code credits:
Intel, Apple, Oracle, Chameleon, rEFIt and Xom.

Official Clover Links:
Sourceforge: Clover
Project OS X
Clover Wiki

Related:
How to Install OS X Mavericks using Clover
tonymacx86 Clover Theme

Last edited by a moderator:
So was step 11, opening a terminal window, just a typo or something? :)

Awesome guide, can't wait to try it out. Can anybody explain why true UEFI is not optimal for Gigabyte boards?

If it is just because Legacy works fine on these boards, and there are no real negative sides to going full UEFI clover on my GA-B85M-HD3 I would love to try :)

Awesome guide, can't wait to try it out. Can anybody explain why true UEFI is not optimal for Gigabyte boards?

If it is just because Legacy works fine on these boards, and there are no real negative sides to going full UEFI clover on my GA-B85M-HD3 I would love to try :)

I'm running in UEFI on my Gigabyte motherboard and it's extremely stable, although there was a learning curve to get it running optimal...

awesome quide tried on my h55 build..
installed great,just need to tweak some settings(audio and lan)
otherwise works as stated.....
got audio and lan working but getting black screen after loading safari?
methinks a graphics injection issue for me.

the error in my install was the dsdt...clover requires it to be named(dsdt.aml)and nothing else..
also removed graphic injection
got audio working with multibeast6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back