Contribute
Register

Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i7-2700K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Son-of-Zorro Build: Core i5-2500K - GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD 6850

Good morning Stork,

Thanks for the guide and detail description of your hacks.

I have the same CPU, Mobo, and GPU on my hack but I was not able to run dual monitors on the HD6850 or with the HD3000 - actually I was able to use both DVI connectors on the HD6850 but I had to have the HDMI plugged in the video card also.

Were you able to run dual monitors on the HD6850 in the "Son-of-Zorro" build? If so, could you please let me know which connectors you are using? Any AtiConfig or AtiPort fix?

Thanks again for your help.

God bless,
John
Even triple monitors, though you need an active Display port -> DVI adapter and have GraphicsEnabler=no and the weird thing is that when you boot, the screen is garbled and after a DVI unplug and unplug from the Active adapter the screen comes up right!
I don't use the lower DVI port on the ATI Radeon 6850, just the hdmi DVI and Display port with active adapter.

List of validated adapters: http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Will this installation process also work to install ML?

thegr8john,
I have a single monitor connected to Son-of-Zorro - a HP ZR24W IPS 1920x1200 monitor. So, jeroenimo's advice is probably a good place to start.

brobenz,
With Mountain Lion 10.8.2, you won't have the trouble that I did installating 10.7.5 as I stated at the end of my build description original post. Use the F12 BIOS (the UEFI BIOS on Gigabyte's site is a Beta release) and the F12 BIOS DSDT from the tonymacx86 DSDT Database. Follow the UniBeast Installation Guide - I recommend that you print it out and check off each step. :thumbup:

When it's time to use MultiBeast, use the MultiBeast items as shown in the original post's MultiBeast configuration screen snapshot. Note two things. First, by using the UserDSDT option, you are installing some default items - see page 3 of the MultiBeast to see them so you don't inadvertently select them again or select a conflicting item. Second, the latest MultiBeast has a slightly different presentation; however, you won't have any trouble going from my screen snapshot to the new presentation.

Good luck! Have fun! ...and remember, it's a hobby! :D

So I won't have to use iboot or any thing like that? Just the regular unibeast guid?​

BroBenz,
Do you have access to a Mac running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6/8? ...either a friend's Mac or at a school, library, college or university, or...? Because you'll need to download Mountain Lion from the Apple Macintosh App Store. If not, you'll have to go the Snow Leopard route. tonymacx86's Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide

I have added a partition with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 as citydog and XBassman asked me if the Son-of-Zorro build configuration can run it. He wished to run just Snow Leopard because of his use of ProTools 9. (It is a very expensive upgrade to the lastest Pro Tools.) The Good News is that it works well with the Gigabyte 6850 graphics card.

Here's what I did:
I followed the tonymacx86 iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC.
- Update the BIOS to F12 (the UEFI BIOS for this motherboard is a Beta version);
- I downloaded iBoot and burn it onto a CD-RW;
- I downloaded MultiBeast v3.10-1 for Snow Leopard (from the Archive), UpdateHelper and the DSDT for the F12 BIOS from the DSDT Database; I put them on a USB thumb drive;​

After the initial installation, the Snow Leopard installation will reboot. Before selecting the drive where I just installed Snow Leopard, I hit the Spacebar and typed "GraphicsEnabler=No" and hit Return. I, then continued with Step 3 in the iBoot + MultiBeast installation guide.

Before re-booting after running UpdateHelper and MultiBeast, I modified the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file to add the following:
Code:
	<key>AtiConfig</key>
	<string>Bulrushes</string>
	<key>AtiPorts</key>
	<string>4</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1200x32</string>
I then rebooted into Snow Leopard

MultiBeast 3.1.0 Configuration for Snow Leopard 10.6.8
39361-s-z-multibeast-3-1-0-configuration-snow-leopard.jpg

After the MultiBeast configuration was complete, I rebooted and ran the Software Update from the Apple Menu (top, left in the Menu bar). Here's what I had awaiting me which I recommend you update.

39362-sl-s-w-update-10-6-8.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent ! Thank you ! :thumbup:

It seems your "Son of Zorro" is looking very much like my future "Little Mermaid" - my singing new Hackintosh !
Except that i can get a quite cheap Radeon HD6870, which is close to yours, will i be ok with it ?

Plus i often get confused with that "GraphicsEnabler" thing. What does it do when it's on, what does it not do when it's off ?

Thanks !

Ah, and looking at the specs of the GA-Z68X-UD3H, i noticed it uses a Firewire VIA chipset. I've been reading here that it's kind of faulty in OSX and/or not fully supported if working at all. Is yours working ?
If not, i'd have to buy a PCIe based FW 400/800 right ? FW is mandatory for me, i've got loads of FW drives and my audio interface (Digi002R) is FW based. So i need to have that feature working flawlessly with its full capabilities.

It works for my iSight webcam, but not for my external HDD. So, I use a compatible, no name, FW800/400 card from eBay.

Where in the Boot.plst file do you add the new text? at the end of the list? Is it possible to provide a snapshot? Thank you very much for all your efforts. You are generous with your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back