Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z270-A Prime
CPU
Intel i7-7700K
Graphics
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Strix
Hi,

I am trying to install Sierra on my recently built PC, and I'm running into problems.

So far, this is what I have done:
  1. Adjust all BIOS settings to the recommended settings, except SATA mode, which I keep as Intel Rapid Storage Technology since I have a RAID array configured. Regardless, any drives not in the RAID array (the drive I want to install to is not in the RAID array) are supposed to default to AHCI (relevant to step 3)
  2. Use unibeast to create a bootable Sierra USB
  3. Add AHCIPortInjector.kext to the bootable USB, since for some reason the installer wouldn't detect any SATA drives without it
  4. Boot the Sierra install partition from Clover on that USB, use fake cpu id 0x0506E3
  5. Install Sierra to internal drive
  6. Boot the newly installed Sierra OS from Clover on the USB, still using fake cpu id
  7. Run multibeast and only do quick start for UEFI, no other changes
  8. Attempt to boot Sierra OS from Clover on the internal drive, still using fake cpu id
At this point, verbose mode ends up at the prohibited symbol, and says "Still waiting for root device" on the last line of the verbose mode output.

Have I done something wrong?

At this point, verbose mode ends up at the prohibited symbol, and says "Still waiting for root device" on the last line of the verbose mode output.
"Still waiting for root device" when installing this means that your USB flash drive cannot be found.
This is usually because the flash drive is in a USB3 port.
If this is the case move it to a USB2 port, if it is already in a USB2 port move it to another and try again.
Repeat until you have tried all USB ports.
Use a USB2 flash drive.
If it still doesn't work you could try another flash drive.
You might also try enabling Legacy on your USB3 ports in your BIOS settings.
If you only have USB3 ports try with your USB flash drive in a USB2 hub.

For your GTX 1070 you should boot with nv_disable=1 until you have installed the operating system and web drivers.

I do not think that the flash drive should have anything to do with it at this point. I am not utilizing the flash drive at all in the final step that is causing the "still waiting for root device" issue. I am booting to the Clover bootloader located on my internal SATA drive, and then attempting to boot my Sierra OS, also located on my internal SATA drive. This issue occurs even if there is no USB flash drive plugged in to the computer.

Previously, I did have this issue, which was caused by using a USB 3 flash drive, but I switched to a USB 2 flash drive and the issue was resolved. Now, I am having the same issue again, but with no USB involved whatsoever.

I am booting with the default boot arguments of "dart=0 nv_disable=1", and nothing else is changed besides using the fake cpu id.

I am not utilizing the flash drive at all in the final step that is causing the "still waiting for root device" issue. I am booting to the Clover bootloader located on my internal SATA drive, and then attempting to boot my Sierra OS, also located on my internal SATA drive.
The principle is the same, the root device (in this case your SSD/HDD) cannot be found.
Perhaps you need a specific driver for your SATA controller, if so you should add it to the EFI partition in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

What's odd is that the issue also occurs now when I boot to the Clover bootloader on the flash drive, and then boot the Sierra OS on the internal SATA drive from there. This worked fine before I did the quick start installs in multibeast.

So, previously it would boot fine going Clover on USB -> Sierra on internal SATA drive. Then, I did the quickstart installs for UEFI in multibeast. Now, Neither Clover on USB -> Sierra on internal SATA drive nor Clover on internal SATA drive -> Sierra on internal SATA drive will finish booting. This makes it seem like something might have gone wrong with the actual Sierra install to cause this issue, but maybe that is not a possibility?

Where would I find a specific driver for my SATA controller? How do I even know what SATA controller I have exactly? Any why would this make any difference if the SATA controller previously worked fine when I first booted the Sierra install via Clover on USB -> Sierra on internal SATA drive?

If you ran Multibeast (correctly) the USB is not needed. Remove USB installer so it defaults to Multibeast Clover EFI.

If it persists with same message, hit space bar once at clover menu screen and select: verbose, single user, don't reboot on panic, keep symbols, and debug kexts.

It should stop at root# type in "mount -uw" hit enter

Root# type in "Fsck -fy" hit enter

Wait, wait, wait, root# type "exit"

All of these without the " " marks.

It should either boot or finish with a black screen, wait a little it may be loading up for the final sign in and account settings if it's a fresh install. If nothing happens after 5 min then reboot.

For reboot let it boot normally.

Thanks for your reply Gigamaxx. Unfortunately, the exact same problem occurs even with all of the options you specified enabled. I never get to the command prompt. I still see the prohibited symbol and the text "Still waiting for root device." This is all after unplugged the USB drive and booting via Clover on the internal SATA drive -> Sierra on the internal SATA drive.

Thanks for your reply Gigamaxx. Unfortunately, the exact same problem occurs even with all of the options you specified enabled. I never get to the command prompt. I still see the prohibited symbol and the text "Still waiting for root device." This is all after unplugged the USB drive and booting via Clover on the internal SATA drive -> Sierra on the internal SATA drive.
  • I think Gigamaxx was asking you to run a System file check and fix any errors found automatically using the commands he had listed.. That makes use of the Built- in tool called "fsck" which unlike the diskutility is able to check for errors and if errors are found try to fix the file system errors. Disk Utility can only check and find errors and will ask you to fix it by running in Recovery Mode by rebooting.
  • I believe his rationale for that is a suspicion that your hard disk has many corrupted system files causing that strange error "still waiting for root device" or the "No Entry Sign" for the bootloalder to make a handshake with the Kernel; file corruption making it impossible for Clover bootloader to pass the control to the Operating System (Kernel) to continue the boot process to its destination ....the Login Screen ...Desktop.
  • The only way you can run system file checker is to boot from Clover Boot Manager screen in the "Single User Mode" with a Boot flag (s) at Clover Boot Manager>Options.Boot Args:- -s -v ( to make it verbose)[ENTER] ESC> Clover Boot Manager Screen> Your Sierra System Disk >Enter ...wait for ... Shell command prompt to show up for you to type and execute the commands listed by Gigamaax.
  • Please Run Gigamaxx given two commands at the Shell Prompt:.
  • The first one instructs to "mount" the disk and permit to write
  • Thew second one instructs to run on the mounted disk fsck and if errors are found fix them without stopping and asking you to say "yes" or "no" to fix each and very bit of error!
  • Since it is hard disk of some size, it can take a while ...hence :wait ...wait wait.
  • Since he is expecting a corrupt disk and if repair is done, you will see "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED”.
  • At that time you type "exit" to get out and then reboot
  • Back in CBM >Options>Boot Args : your usual flags; but add v also to make it verbose to make it readable rather than the Apple logo that covers up problem.
If you have done the above and still facing the problem , the HDD has a bigger problem and you may need to look for another disk.

While considering that, you can try a CMOS Reset just in case the problem is from a corrupt CMOS feeding wrong instruction to Boot loader. That must be easy for you.

• The only way you can run system file checker is to boot from Clover Boot Manager screen in the "Single User Mode" with a Boot flag (s) at Clover Boot Manager>Options.Boot Args:- -s -v ( to make it verbose)[ENTER] ESC> Clover Boot Manager Screen> Your Sierra System Disk >Enter ...wait for ... Shell command prompt to show up for you to type and execute the commands listed by Gigamaax.

I understand what Gigamaxx was telling me to do. The issue is that I cannot do it. How do I run fsck when I am unable to boot into single user mode?

I understand what Gigamaxx was telling me to do. The issue is that I cannot do it. How do I run fsck when I am unable to boot into single user mode?

Is this the message? Does it happen right away?

Still waiting on root device

Back up to one of your previous thoughts, I've been testing a new X99 type system that requires a custom kernel, it gives the same message if the kernel is incorrect or corrupted.
It can also happen when using various DSDT settings in clover. And it is possible to have a corrupted Sierra install as well. I have had bad sierra installer before I had to trash my Install Mac OS Sierra in applications folder and re download. After doing that it worked fine as a bootloader.

But before you erase anything try a few more options.

On clover menu screen scroll to options and select, then check the ACPI section and look for DSDT fixes. For Skylake and for Kaby lake Systems you should select zero options or no fixes. Check this out because a standard clover install default loads a large number of fixes which aren't needed for these builds.

Also, if you could mount the EFI partition of the SSD and post your config.plist that may have something that stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back