2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there

So I have found out the hard way that time machine is a piece of s*** and now I need to repair another one of my disks that it decided to take down with the backup drive. The problem is that this disk has EVERYTHING on it thati need. I am tempted to download Diskwarrior because it apparently is very effective, but I read that on hackintoshes it could screw up your boot drive.

So, does anyone know of a disk utility more powerful than apples own that would help me get my files off of this drive?

A linux Live cd and an external drive should do the trick. Just to copy the files off right?

dakotar said:
A linux Live cd and an external drive should do the trick. Just to copy the files off right?

Yeah cuz I will just repartition the drive once I get the files off, then I will put them back on. How do I copy the files off with a Linux live cd and an external drive?

Boot it up and drag and drop

I don't back up anything, so I don't know :lol:

I do not understand your issue with Time Machine. I have used it with success recovering files and reconstructing boot drives.

However I also try to keep a clone copy of system partitions so I can jump to that if/when necessary. There are two shareware cloning apps that are good; Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!.

Also, you can spin off disk images (that are compressed) that can be restored using Disk Utility.

And for even more safety you can easily set up a LINUX file server and keep backups of any important data there.

neil

lol thanks for your help everybody

I ended up just telling disk utility to mount the drives (it did lol) and I copied my files off of there to a different drive and then repartitioned

solved! This is about the 4th time I have tried using time machine and all 4 times it has screwed stuff up, idk why either :(

Whatever I will just use another one of my 2tb drives and just manually copy stuff to it as a backup

thanks again!

Please mark your thread titled with [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back