OSX on a Dell XPS 17 w/ i7-2820QM

Discussion in 'Snow Leopard Laptop Support' started by my.name.is.mary, May 31, 2011.

1. my.name.is.mary

my.name.is.mary

Mobo:
    Dell XPS
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2860QM @ 2.49 GHz
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    May 31, 2011 #1
    my.name.is.mary

my.name.is.mary

Mobo:
    Dell XPS
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-2860QM @ 2.49 GHz
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M
    Mobile Phone:
    Android, iOS
    Install on a Dell XPS 17 with Sandy Bridge?

I just swapped my MacBook Pro for a new Dell as the MacBook was having just too many issues dual booting.

Question #1: Will my new Dell support an OSX install? Ideally, I would prefer to install to an eSATA drive, but if I had to, I'd consider an install to the second hard drive on this system.

Specs:

Operating System new – server roles
    System Model
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Dell Inc. Dell System XPS L702X
    System Service Tag: 30QHZP1 (support for this PC)
    Enclosure Type: Portable
    Processor a
    Main Circuit Board b
    2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2820QM
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total) Board: Dell Inc. 0K4H3G FAB1
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A08 04/06/2011

8108 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 4096 MB
    Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty
    Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 4096 MB
    Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty

Question #2: Since I still have the MacBook, I can do a totally painless install of OSX on the eSATA drive. Can I install OSX to the drive and then connect it to my PC and configure boot?

Thanks!

2. Teravian

Teravian

Jun 4, 2011 #2
    Teravian

Teravian

To Question #2, not quite. You will still have to install a boot loader and then figure out what kexts you need to make your hardware work.

To Question #1: It depends on your hardware. You will want to know 2 things: What chipset do you have? (I think most newer SB Dells use the Intel HM67 Chipset, but that may be a very noobish assumption). What audio codec does your sound card require? That may take some searching to find out. What wireless card do you have? (an intel card will not work and will have to be replaced, or you will have to stick to Ethernet on the Mac Side)

If you are lucky, you will probably just need a couple kexts to get functionality. This will require lots of searching around, but it is worth it. Worst case, you may have to make some DSDT adjustments. It sounds bad, but it isn't really, once you get going.

I say give it whirl! But if you are going to try the eSATA install, do it from the PC so you know if iBoot can see it. It would suck to get the system installed and not be able to use it because eSATA hardware isn't recognized.