Contribute
Register

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Beta has AMD Radeon 7XXX drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Apple switch the graphics card provider for Mac Pro if there is no good reason to do so?

Because they've changed the graphics chipset provider for the iMac a couple of times in the past - with the new models that are about to come out sooner or later, it's nVidia. It used to be AMD for a while before that.

If they had a "good reason to do so", only they know.

Apple does a vendor swap for each generation of product.

Not necessarily. The iMac last had an nVidia chipset back in 2009 with the GeForce 9400M (wow, that seems like a long time ago...). Starting with the Late 2009 iMac, the next three generations had AMD chips in them (4xxx, 5xxx and 6xxx series). Only now they're back to nVidia.

You're right when it comes to the Mac Pro, though I wouldn't say they take it as a "rule" to swap vendors with each generation. With Apple, I think it's more a question of who's currently in favor with the king... and who cuts the better deal.

Im sure there is all sorts of development and testing hardware inside and out of apple at different developers. Need drivers to run the hardware even if its not the final release version.

Apple does a vendor swap for each generation of product.

So the next Mac Pro will be NVIDIA since last was AMD.

Actually if you look through the history of the Mac Pro and even G5 Tower you will notice that with the exception of the latest models of Mac Pro that Apple has always offered a choice of a NVIDIA or AMD GPU in their products.

Very excited about this! : )

Forum Rules:

Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban.

Maybe they're just trying to give the Hackintosh community more options.

Lol, that would be nice. But switching supported vendors periodically during new software releases would actually make it more difficult for the Hackintosh community to keep up with latest software releases. I know I can't always afford a new card every time an OS is updated. (Though I'm sure that giving me a headache is probably not at the forefront of Apple's decision making process lol.)

Oh no....Is this only for Tahiti Cards? (7979 and 7950)?

is there any news ?

I hope neither that it is only fpr tahiti cards

is there any news ?

I hope neither that it is only fpr tahiti cards

i heard a rumor it may ship by the beginning of march but no one knows, betas are still being pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back