Contribute
Register

OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Beta has AMD Radeon 7XXX drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
my best guess is that apple will be releasing a product that will have radeon 7XXX in it, along side with the 10.8.3 update, the real question is:
is it the new mac pro
is the radeon 7xxx an upgrade for the mac pro
is it the external graphics solution we've been hearing about
is there a new apple product to be launched running osx 10.8.3 with radeon 7xxx

i did think they'd use the 670 in the new mac pro
but i would like to see amd getting more business and doing better as a business as its competition that drives innovation

when to we expect the 10.8.3 update release (february 2013 is my guess)

anyway its driver inclusion is very curious

How likely do you think it is that the new drivers wont be included in the final release? I just exchanged my black friday 6870 purchase for a 7850 because I heard about the 7xxx drivers being included in 10.8.3. Also, the 7xxx drivers are not limited to 79xx are they?

Apple will not buy AMD.
They buy startups with a small number of talented employees that have developed technologies needed in future Apple products.

It makes no sense for Apple to buy AMD because AMD simply isn't of much value to Apple.
On the contrary, being a company losing money in a shrinking market, AMD may well be more of a pain to deal with than an asset.

Apple already has chip design talent and if they need more they can just take advantage of the problems at AMD to simply hire people away from there. No need to throw money to buy the whole company and get stuck with all the rest of their problems.

One of the commenters at netkas had a list of cards they found in the info.plist. I believe the 7850 was said to not be in that list.

oh VERY RISKY if your looking for native support ITS ONLY A BETA id try and leave the 7850 back at least till we see the 10.8.3 release version

Great I just buy a new graphic card GTX 650 for my Hackintosh since my radeon HD7770 wasn't supported !

How likely do you think it is that the new drivers wont be included in the final release? I just exchanged my black friday 6870 purchase for a 7850 because I heard about the 7xxx drivers being included in 10.8.3. Also, the 7xxx drivers are not limited to 79xx are they?
Daring move... Basing a purchase on reports of a beta driver without a list of supported models while there's dozens of well-supported Nvidia's to choose from...

Maybe Apple is getting ready to do another silent mini update to the current lineup of Mac Pros. Replace those older long in the tooth 5xxx cards with 7xxx cards.

Who knows.. They might be running low on those old 5xxx cards they have now or AMD is saying they rather supply apple with the 7xxx at the same price so they can stop making the older cards for them (altogether).

Maybe they are just testing out their options for the 2013 Pros and get some benchmarks?

its all speculation at this time...

Perhaps AMD is working on a Thunderbolt 7xxx GPU for the Mac Pro.

I agree with tonymac, this makes no sense.

You would think that Apple would standardize on one GPU vendor for all products to make development and support easier. Or they could be doing this incase NVIDIA pisses them off and they decide to switch vendors down the road.

Exactly!
Covering their ass, as always:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back