Contribute
Register

OS X 10.8.5 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: OS X 10.8.5 Update

Updated
I recommend the Combo update instead of the store incremental update. My procedure is to
  1. Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
  2. Backup your current system with Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
  3. If you're using the "USB 3 - Universal" (Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext), remove it from S/L/E folder**;
  4. Run the Combo Update - don't reboot yet;
  5. Run MultiBeast to reload only the audio driver;
  6. Download the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and install using Kext Utility;
  7. Reboot; and
  8. Repair Permissions again.*

NOTICE: Hawell owners are not having success with this update. Before trying to update, backup your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper system. If the update doesn't work, try a fresh install by
  • restoring your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation;
  • go to the MAS and download the Install Mountain Lion app (it's now 10.8.5), using Option-Click on the Purchase menu item;
  • prepare a UniBeast USB thumb drive with the updated UniBeast v2.1; and
  • making sure your backup is current, do a fresh install.
If this doesn't work, restore your 10.8.4 Haswell Helper installation and wait for updating news. Being an early adapter is hell sometimes. One user had success with a fresh install.

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

** Zenith432's GenericUSBXHCI.kext has been reported to cause Kernel Panels on some motherboards after the update.

Sage advice.

I'm not taking any chances this time around. I'll backup to a HDD or clone to an SSD.

Just updated via Stork's method on Gigabyte z77x up4 th. Now none of my USB 3 ports are working. I tried reinstalling the multibeast USB 3 Universal driver but still no luck. All help is appreciated.

Installation of the combo update fails for me - error just says "installation failed, contact the software manufacture". Tried 2 downloads and several attempts...

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 "MacPro3,1" ....

it is stuck to [PCI Configuration Begin]. I can boot on the safe mode, but, there is a little problem. In "About this Mac" (my I5 Haswell 4670K 3,4ghz), it is writing 3,79GHz ...

Z87-HD3
i5 4670k
MSI Geforce GTX 660

hd4600 work vga?10.8.5?

How to even get from the article to the actual thread in the forum, which has more posts than the article has appended to it? It is not really obvious.

I know, I can go via Forum > click > click > click probably, but many news site with message board have a DIRECT and OBVIOUS link to its discussion thread.

I am probably a bit too daft to see it?

Ah, clicking GO ADVANCED brings one the discussion via one additional click on the thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back