Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
toleda said:
bhogsett said:
I still have no sound. The system is now identified as a Mac Mini (I missed that option when I first ran MultiBeast).

By no sound I mean I have no output devices shown in System Preferences/Sound.

Thanks.

Bill
I meant to say what you said in option 3. If you see Audio ID: 885, something is wrong. Before you install the Tuneup Kit_v4, it should say 889. After the Tuneup Kit is installed, it will say 389. If you see S/L/E/ALC8xxHDA.kext, trash it and run MultiBeat System Utilities. Finally check that S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext is blue and its v_2.1.3. Once audio is installed correctly, the front panel audio jacks will work.

Thanks, I think I am working now. I have not tested with HDMI yet, but the front and back green output ports work.

With one exception, I see the same information as you showed in an earlier attachment to a post in System Preferences Sound and System Report Audio. The exception is that I don't see the Onkyo receiver (DTR-40.2) that you must have hooked up to your system. Will it be available in Update 5 for download? :lol:

Thanks for your help.

I do not understand about AppleHDA.kext being blue. How would I see that color? Right clicking on it shows that it is version 2.1.3.

I never figured out what the problem was. My solution was to install Lion on the Western Digital hard disk, go through MultiBeast and Update 4. That worked. I then did an erase of the SSD drive and restored it from the Western Digital Image. That worked! I then renamed the SSD drive and all is well. After maybe 4 installs of Lion on the SSD, I was getting a kernel panic as soon as the boot finished after doing the MultiBeast/Update 4 steps.

Again many many thanks for the support here. This is my first build. The build was not that difficult (I would have used a larger case and better cooling if I had dug into this thread earlier.) I finished the build in maybe 6 hours actual time over a day and a half. The Lion installation went very smoothly, but the sound part took several tries (I sure know how to install Lion now!!!) to get right.

I did the build to learn how to do a build. This Mini is on a table next to my 27" iMac and now I have to figure out what I am going to do with it. :eek:

Bill

Apex MI-008 Case Mods done for now

I did quite a bit of experimentation yesterday with different cooling mods, and have settled on a layout for the time being:

I flipped the PSU over, and cut a hole into the top of the case for the fan inlet. This has isolated the competing PSU and CPU fans. I also ended up putting a 80mm fan on the right side of the case, exhausting air. The fan is positioned to the rear of the case, lined-up with the existing ventilation holes. I used velcro to attach. The case fan is a bit noisier than I would like, owing to the turbulence from the vent holes.

Temperature-wise, I'm much happier now. As I type this, my HDD temp is bouncing between 36* and 38*C. CPU core temps have been between 38* and 43*C. Much better than before.

The only other thing on my todo list at this point is to get some AC filter foam to fashion dust filters. I will probably purchase a filter enclosure for the top fan inlet, as well, for dust control and aesthetics.

bretski said:
Temperature-wise, I'm much happier now. As I type this, my motherboard temp is bouncing between 36* and 38*C. CPU core temps have been between 38* and 43*C. Much better than before.

What are you using that shows the temperatures? I am using Temperature Monitor, but it only shows the CPU Cores and the hard drives.

Bill

bhogsett said:
bretski said:
Temperature-wise, I'm much happier now. As I type this, my motherboard temp is bouncing between 36* and 38*C. CPU core temps have been between 38* and 43*C. Much better than before.

What are you using that shows the temperatures? I am using Temperature Monitor, but it only shows the CPU Cores and the hard drives.

Bill

My mistake, I just noticed that it's the HDD...duh! Sorry about that. Corrected my post.

I'm using Temperature Monitor.

bhogsett said:
Thanks, I think I am working now. I have not tested with HDMI yet, but the front and back green output ports work.

With one exception, I see the same information as you showed in an earlier attachment to a post in System Preferences Sound and System Report Audio. The exception is that I don't see the Onkyo receiver (DTR-40.2) that you must have hooked up to your system. Will it be available in Update 5 for download? :lol:

I do not understand about AppleHDA.kext being blue. How would I see that color? Right clicking on it shows that it is version 2.1.3.
HDMI appears in System Preferences/Sound/Output when an HDMI device is plugged in, preferably at boot. Look in S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) for AppleHDA.kext, you will see it is colored blue. That means the kext is not native (i.e., edited). Before an OSX update, back up the edited kexts, so they can be reinstalled after the update, if necessary.

I have started to suffer from occasional Kernel panics, which occurs in a relation with some OpenGL output (I suppose). For instance, 2 of them occurred when I had started or closed a game.

I have been suffering from lack of stability for about a month or two, since 10.7.2 was released - kernel panics and massive artifact issues, it disappoints me a lot. Any help will be appreciated.

P.S.: I had already posted a help request some time ago, but I had no response, unfortunately :(

pechenie said:
I have started to suffer from occasional Kernel panics, which occurs in a relation with some OpenGL output (I suppose). For instance, 2 of them occurred when I had started or closed a game.

I have been suffering from lack of stability for about a month or two, since 10.7.2 was released - kernel panics and massive artifact issues, it disappoints me a lot. Any help will be appreciated.

P.S.: I had already posted a help request some time ago, but I had no response, unfortunately :(
We haven't get any solution for the artifacts, just the updates the hope for us and everybody. And your KP's are rare with this sytem... without any screen from it, we can't do anything with it.

toleda said:
HDMI appears in System Preferences/Sound/Output when an HDMI device is plugged in, preferably at boot. Look in S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) for AppleHDA.kext, you will see it is colored blue. That means the kext is not native (i.e., edited). Before an OSX update, back up the edited kexts, so they can be reinstalled after the update, if necessary.

I see the blue now. I think I just missed it before. I am working fine.

Now to figure out what hdmi I will hook it to.

Bill

Mate94 said:
And your KP's are rare with this sytem... without any screen from it, we can't do anything with it.
I can't quite get what you mean (sorry, english is not my native). I don't think you need a screenshot, because it is helpless (or not?). If you need logs or something, just tell me how to get them, and I'll post them.

pechenie said:
Mate94 said:
And your KP's are rare with this sytem... without any screen from it, we can't do anything with it.
I can't quite get what you mean (sorry, english is not my native). I don't think you need a screenshot, because it is helpless (or not?). If you need logs or something, just tell me how to get them, and I'll post them.
Well, it's not helpless because in the KP always there the source of the error. I don't know name of it, but in the Applications -> Utililities, there's something that writes the errors and actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back