Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will this CustoMac Mini 2011 work?

toleda said:
slarsah said:
Been reading this forum and site for about a year now, and I finally decided to make the step.
This is my first post, and my first hackintosh. I decided to go for the Customac mini 2011, since I need a fast, small, media server in my living room. Will this setup work?

1. CASE: SuperCase MI-008 mini-ITX kabinett med 250W PSU (MI-008)
2. PROCESSOR/GRAPHICS: INTEL Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor LGA1155, 850MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, Unlocked, Boxed (BX80623I72600K)

Sinc
Lars from Norway
How are you going to cool the processor in that case? I have a Thermalright AXP-140 in a Silverstone SG-07 for my 2600K to get acceptable temperatures. Try less processor or more case for a successful first build.

Why everybody worring about the idiotic temps? 35-44 C I think it's acceptable from a cheap case like that. And the CPU is the last thing that will go wrong in these days.

Thanks for fast answers. This is what I will do:

-Drop the Samsung blueray, and use an old pioneer combo instead (for now)
-The i7 uses only 95w, so I think I have power enough.

My main consern is cooling, but I 'll take the chance.

Should I go for the 5770 grapich card? Looks good:)

slarsah said:

In this case it won't fit in.

Mate94 said:
bhogsett said:

1) Are you using HD 3000?

2) If your using HD 3000, change HDMI port to other one.

3) You need Mac Mini definition for HD 3000 to work properly.

:beachball:

Thanks very much, the support here is great.

1. Yes, I am using the HD 3000 built into the Intel CPU.

2. Please tell me how to change the HDMI port.

3. Where do I get the Mac Mini definition?

Thanks, I really hope that with these answers I can get this fixed.

Bill

Use the HDMI under the VGA port
MacMini system definition is in Multibeast.[/quote]

I still have no sound. The system is now identified as a Mac Mini (I missed that option when I first ran MultiBeast).

By no sound I mean I have no output devices shown in System Preferences/Sound.

System Information shows an Intel High Definition Audio with an ID of 885 and two HDMiI Display Port Outputs. But there is nothing for the front panel or back panel headphone ports and other sound out ports. The front and back panel ports were shown in System Information before I installed the .kext files from the Tuneup, but System Preferences showed nothing for output.

For testing, I want to use the front panel headphone before I move the system where I will use the HDMI ports on the motherboard.

I have run (perhaps obviously) MultiBeast with the F7-HDMI file for the Gigabyte H67 motherboard. I have previously updated the Bios to F7.

KextBeast seemed to do nothing. The three .kext files on my desktop from the Tuneup were not copied into System/extensions. I ended up using Kext Helper which installed the .kext files as expected.

I am confused by the instructions for the Tuneup (version 4).

The instructions say:

Backup Exra folder and kexts to be replaced
Copy dsdt.aml Extra folder to Extra folder on your hard drive

Backing up is simple. I copied the entire folder and put it on my second disk. My confusion is whether the instructions want the TuneUp extra folder to:

1. replace the original extra folder
2. be inserted into the original Extra folder so you have Extra->Extra or
3. copy the .aml file from the Tuneup Extra folder and use it to replace the .aml file in the original Extra folder.

Which is it?

I have tried 2 and 3, but not option 1.

I'll try any suggestions. I am considering installing Lion on the second hard disk and see if I get different results there.

Thanks.

Bill

Mate94 said:
slarsah said:

In this case it won't fit in.

Sorry, I meant 5570. If my reading and calculations are correct, there's plenty of power enough. Thanks again, I'll post my built when the parts are here

pct said:
bretski said:
Apex MI-008 Modifications?

Has anyone modded this case for better cooling? I really dislike having the CPU and power supply cooling fans overlapping, and moving air in different directions. Sitting at idle, my CPU temps are around 46-51*C, and the noise from the fans is distracting.

My thought was to flip the power supply over, and drill holes in the top of the case. Before I break out the drills and dremel, I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done this, and if they have pictures/feedback to show the results.

I am starting thinking to make some modifications as well: same temps at idle. Having a DVD player, it's very close to the internal fan of the PSU and clearly prevent hot air from being exhausted by the PSU fans.

I am thinking to a hole on the left side of the box with a 80mm fan to extract air, as there is a grid on the right to allow fresh air to enter the box

Where do you stand on your mod ?

I went ahead and flipped the power supply over, so the fans are not competing with each other. I cut a hole (using my dremel tool) in the top of the case to ventilate the fan. It turned out so-so, looks wise. I measured a couple times, but was slightly off with my hole center. The result is that there is plenty of room to vent the PSU fan, but it's off by a bit. No big deal, I'm the only one who will know, as it will eventually be tucked under my desk.

I'm still not happy with the airflow, as like you, I have a full-size DVD drive installed. It looks like a 120mm fan will fit, but I don't have a spare laying around. I'm going to try moving the HDD to the side installation, to see how that does.

Over the weekend I'll have some time to experiment more, and will report back.

Hey tony,

Thanks so much for the hard work!! It was online in a night working perfectly!!!

I have a quick question about hdmi audio out... I have it working perfectly for my entertainment room hooked up to my tv.

I have a mac mini in my front room hooked up to two lcd's, one in the front room and one in the kitchen and they have mirrored displays. The audio, though, is hooked up to a sound bar that broadcasts the audio wirelessly to the kitchen (rocket fish... its awesome if anyone is thinking about using that as a solution).

Is it possible to have both hdmi's put out audio? If it is, I'm building another one yesterday :p

J

jasonxoc said:
Is it possible to have both hdmi's put out audio? If it is, I'm building another one yesterday :p
J
Lion only supports one HDMI audio output. DisplayPort also supports HDMI audio if it were available. The GT 430 (HDMi and DVI2HDMI adapter) supports dual HDMI audio in the CustoMac Mini configuration.

bhogsett said:
I still have no sound. The system is now identified as a Mac Mini (I missed that option when I first ran MultiBeast).

By no sound I mean I have no output devices shown in System Preferences/Sound.

Thanks.

Bill
I meant to say what you said in option 3. If you see Audio ID: 885, something is wrong. Before you install the Tuneup Kit_v4, it should say 889. After the Tuneup Kit is installed, it will say 389. If you see S/L/E/ALC8xxHDA.kext, trash it and run MultiBeat System Utilities. Finally check that S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext is blue and its v_2.1.3. Once audio is installed correctly, the front panel audio jacks will work.

Wondering if you had the h67n or purchased recently as I can not find anywhere online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back