Contribute
Register

NVME on a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just copied that new NVME.kext to my CLOVER EFI partition into the kext folder, restarted, Carbon Copy cloned my EL CAPITAN from Samsung SM951 to a new SAMSUNG SM950PRO NVME drive, restarted... and guess what: it works perfectly.

Got a well improved stable system now running El Capitan 10.11.2. Well done and a big Thank You to the developer

So then, any motherboard with UEFI support for NVME can now boot from these drives? That's awesome.

And some BIOSes can be modified to add NVME boot support, I hear.

So, we can use this driver to BOOT from a NVMe SSD? I REALLY want to use an Intel 750 Series 2.5" NVMe SSD as my sole system drive, so it HAS to be able to boot properly…

Success: Installed a Samsung 950 Pro 512 on my Asus X99 Deluxe with 5960x processor using the onboard slot, running Yosemite (!). No configuration in bios necessary, just partition with hd utility.
Hassle free till now, super speed with the driver NVMeGeneric.kext. The driver is working perfectly with Yosemite - and this board at least.

I dont want it as boot volume, so I didnt try this. As there is a normal EFI partition on the disk, it should work.

Update: Just for fun tried to boot Yosemite, stuck at good old "Configuration begin". Tried some bootflags, changed SMBIOs, no success to boot. Strange: the 950 is not completely recognized in Bios, under "NVME" there is no entry. Perhaps a Bios problem.

Bild-2015-12-23-um-09.11.00.jpg

Just copied that new NVME.kext to my CLOVER EFI partition into the kext folder, restarted, Carbon Copy cloned my EL CAPITAN from Samsung SM951 to a new SAMSUNG SM950PRO NVME drive, restarted... and guess what: it works perfectly.

Got a well improved stable system now running El Capitan 10.11.2. Well done and a big Thank You to the developer
I did the same procedure. No joy! I have a Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe in my GENE M.2 slot. The BIOS detects the 950 but lists it as a N1 type of drive instead of a UEFI like my Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

I've tried the NVMe kext in different locations (/L/E, EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 and Other), and, while I can see the drive as a OS drive at the Clover boot screen and a data drive within El Capitan 10.11.2, I can not boot from the Samsung 950.

What else did you do to get your 950 to boot? Any BIOS setup or changes? TIA.

I did the same procedure. No joy! I have a Samsung 950 M.2 NVMe in my GENE M.2 slot. The BIOS detects the 950 but lists it as a N1 type of drive instead of a UEFI like my Samsung 850 EVO SSD.

I've tried the NVMe kext in different locations (/L/E, EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11 and Other), and, while I can see the drive as a OS drive at the Clover boot screen and a data drive within El Capitan 10.11.2, I can not boot from the Samsung 950.

What else did you do to get your 950 to boot? Any BIOS setup or changes? TIA.

Same issue here.

I'm using

X99 Deluxe
5960X

Samsung 950 Pro

Yosemite
Clover

I'm also stuck here right now, ASUS x99-A and i7-5960x. Luckily I have a SSD Drive So I'll try to install Yosemite onto it and then carbon copy when all else is done. Thanks for all the info!

worked for me with a samsung 950 pro. quick question.... when you guys open up "About This Mac" and under storage does it says "External PCI-e SSD" under the hard drive?

Could one please explain, how to clone an existing hackintosh partition to a nvme ssd?
I tried cloning it using gparted and copying it using ccc, both give me a coreStorageFamiliy error and the prohibited sign :|

Could one please explain, how to clone an existing hackintosh partition to a nvme ssd?
I tried cloning it using gparted and copying it using ccc, both give me a coreStorageFamiliy error and the prohibited sign :|

Disable core storage, then use CCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back