Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So i have a power mac G5 case in the mail and was wondering if someone could help me with a certain motherboard tray. This one http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=20966. I was wondering if I removed the Flat pannel in the back if you guys think i could still use the stock fans on the back of the g5? Thanks alot

Gavin

nivag said:
So i have a power mac G5 case in the mail and was wondering if someone could help me with a certain motherboard tray. This one http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=20966. I was wondering if I removed the Flat pannel in the back if you guys think i could still use the stock fans on the back of the g5? Thanks alot

Gavin
The existing fans are dead center of the screen; unless you plan to cobble the new I/Os to the old G5 I/Os(very complicated and, IMO, ugly) how would you incorporate the new I/Os? That was my original goal as well but abandoned it pretty quick. The 3 blade stock fans are pretty noisy anyway.

I was actually thinking of trying to remove the whole plate that the screen is mounted to looks like it is bolted to the i/o and pci slots and then dremeling out the pci and i/o on the G5 case and sliding this right in there, the mother board will be upside down but it doesn't matter to me. seems like i could get a pretty close to stock look with just that. My case will be here next week and i might just hold out till i actually get the case and see what im dealing with first hand.

Just looked at the case the motherboard tray is for and the whole rear plate looks like it might just unbolt or it might be riveted which can be drilled out and then i would be left with just the i/o panel and Pci slots connected to the tray. will the fans still fit? and if not will 2 diffent fans work? Im really trying to keep it looking as stock as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4991.jpeg
    IMG_4991.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 771
Looks like they would fit in the perforated part of the back plate. I doubt you'll be able to utilize the stock location; the motherboard components will interfere.Image6.jpg mine looks like this. And here's my g5 hack thread: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=11446

Attachments

• Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 1,196
If you don't like all the alum. dust flying about, use a decent pair of flush cut wire cutters to cut out your perforated screen. It's a good workout for your forearms as well:p A good file will smooth out the rest. One more tip: the same 6/32 screws that come with the motherboard tray, will thread into the holes of the screen nicely. It makes your motherboard truly removable. You may have to file a bit to get the exact alignment.

Here is how i did my mobo set up.

mobo tray from MountainMods, 2x80mm fan set up and NO Security Flange.
http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mo ... -p-56.html
Do not pick the single 120mm back panel option, it's simply too wide for this mod.

:lol: @ myself in the pic when i first got the tray in, i had the fans backwards. :p

I did not remove any of the original threaded studs on my G5. You will need to remove all NON threaded studs as they will get in the way of the tray sitting flush. I located where i wanted the tray to go and locked it in from the back with a few set screws. I then measured the locations of certain relative points to where I located the original studs and drilled 3 holes accordingly on my tray. Then attached the tray with the 3 horizontal points as seen in the 4th photo with the original mac screws. It fit like a glove with the right amount of trimming. Let me know if you need more info id love to help.
FINAL PRODUCT.

Great job on the mods guys :headbang: I too am starting a G5 mod and I have the same mobo tray as Mad Audi. I was wondering Audi if you could help me out with those 3 exact thread locations you made on the tray. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I am not tool savvy :D

CoolDw

I am working on all that info and making a custom build page little by little. I will do my best to have that info for you in a clear and easy to understand format. Give me a few days, hope your not in a rush. If you are let me know I'll see what i can do.

And good luck on your build. You will be a happy man at the end.
I know i am! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back