Contribute
Register

Memory performance and bandwidth low in geekbench..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Indeed I initially thought about this Profile 1 stuff and forgot about it in the meantime. But this helped me re-think about how I have installed my RAM. And the solution came out of this ! They wasn't installed in the proper dimm slots to make available dual channel. I felt like a complete idiot because it took me so much time to realise my mistake... :banghead:

Now I have those results :
View attachment 37018

And by the way, changing to MacPro 3,1 or iMac 12,2 didn't make any difference, even SSDT stuff.

Now I can install my other HDD and get a mounting for my 2,5 SSD and write a post about my build :)
Glad to help, in a way I didn't know I was helping!! I didn't even think about asking if you had them in the right slots.

Hi MrEddy,

I've faced a same problem with low memory performance in the geekbench.

My setup:
CPU: Intel i5-3570K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
RAM: Corsair 1x8GB 1600MHz CL11 XMS3 (CMX8GX3M1A1600C11)

My geekbench scores:

Memory performance
Memory bandwidth performance

I've seen reports with 7000-8000 points.

As you can see I have only one RAM module so it's works in Single Channel mode.
As I understood the low performance of your memory were associated with Single Channel mode and your results were improoved from 5310/5015 to 7436/8436 when you did only one thing - made memory working in the Dual Channel mode, right?

If so Please you do me a favour Could you remove one RAM module and perform the geekbench benchmark for me?
I'm trying to figure out would my scores go up as yours if I'll buy another RAM module and make my memory working in the Dual Channel mode.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry

No need to experiment. Yes your memory speed will increase dramatically.

Note that for dual-channel (or triple or quad on those boards that support it) we usually use groups of memory sold as a unit, where the manufacturer is giving us a guarantee that the RAM sticks are of exactly the same timings. You can mix-and-match and use another RAM stick of the same model, but there is a bit of variation in the detailed timings and you're not getting that guarantee that they both match exactly.
It would probably work, but just bear it in mind in case your machine starts behaving strangely in the future and crashes "for no good reason". The odds of that are low, but still possible.

No need to experiment. Yes your memory speed will increase dramatically.

Note that for dual-channel (or triple or quad on those boards that support it) we usually use groups of memory sold as a unit, where the manufacturer is giving us a guarantee that the RAM sticks are of exactly the same timings. You can mix-and-match and use another RAM stick of the same model, but there is a bit of variation in the detailed timings and you're not getting that guarantee that they both match exactly.
It would probably work, but just bear it in mind in case your machine starts behaving strangely in the future and crashes "for no good reason". The odds of that are low, but still possible.

DBP, thanks a lot!
I got another RAM stick and voila - my memory scores went up.

Here:
Memory performance 7337
Memory bandwidth performance 8363

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1731095

Hi,
i have the same build than lovandos : i5 3570k @3,4 8go ddr - z77-ds3h

i got the same score in osx 11k7 (64bit test)

but i test my config with an other OS (manjaro - archlinux)
i got this : 12k5 (32bit test)

photo(6).jpg

as you can see memory test 12k + on linux vs 8k on osx ... on the same config.
i don't understand why i get best score in 32bit test (i don't have a linux licence to bench in 64bit)...
the problem is OSX kernel ?
hackintosh driver between ram and MB ?

I just completed my first hackintosh build and I booth this memory from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-PC.../dp/B007A1TISC and got a horrible geekbench 3 34bit score of 1445 on memory performance. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/251756. Is this bad RAM or am I doing something wrong? ALS when I installed the ram Ican only put them in my GA-Z87X-UD3H board on channels 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 (one gray and one black slot - side by side) which is not the way the board shows I should be putting them in. Otherwise, the computer keeps re-booting. Thanks for you help and sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum (I'm a newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back