Contribute
Register

Lenovo W530 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using Android, iOS or Windows Mobile? And what app?
I'm using PDAnet on a jailbroken iPhone. It looks like you can get it for most phones. I've had some issues with it so I'll use Ethernet when I can.

Also do you have a dual boot option for Windows 7? I have a drive caddy so I wanted to install Windows 7 in there.
Ya, I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10 installed as well. I didn't have to do anything to get Windows 7 to boot. I just installed each on its own drive and Chimera boots both.

Finally my last question, how would we do a system update if there is one?
Its safer to download and install a combo update than to use software update. After installing, you may have to redo multibeast. Its a good idea to back up before updating.

Thanks for all your help!!!

I have a Nexus phone so I used Cynogenmod USB Tether. It works perfectly!

Now my final question is, can't we use a WLAN WiFi Card ?

Have you been able to update to Mountain Lion 10.8.2?

When I updated it using the combo, it froze on the apple bootup screen.

Can't we use a WLAN WiFi Card ?
The card I have (centrino ultimate) isn't supported in OS X, so there's no way to get it to work. It might be possible to switch the card with supported one, but it seems like it could be difficult. Many computers have a whitelist of cards that you can use, so you would need to mod the BIOS to use one that would work in OS X. This may not be the case with the W530, but I haven't wanted to take the time to look into it.

I'm still using Lion, so I can't really help with that.

Thanks for all your help!!!

I have a Nexus phone so I used Cynogenmod USB Tether. It works perfectly!

Now my final question is, can't we use a WLAN WiFi Card ?

When I updated it using the combo, it froze on the apple bootup screen.

Solid, most of the questions have been answered. I am actually using mountain lion and so far it works fine. The audio drivers sometimes cause kernel panics on startup, but this can easily be fixed by booting into safe mode and removing the audio driver kext and preference pane, and then reinstalling.

As for the video card, so far all that works is getting the intel card working properly. Theres a post somewhere in this thread with a string to add to your bootloader file which enables support for the card.

I should be able to help you guys out a bit...

I own an X230t that I've installed Mountain Lion onto. I have USB 2.0, USB 3.0, sleep, speed stepping (automatic over and underclocking), graphics, and sound through the headphone jack working (WITHOUT Voodoo HDA, which is awful). Most of the components in our machines are similar, so I'll drop you guys a line.

To get powermanagement (and thus, sleep) working, you need a custom SSDT. You can make one using revogirl's (may she rest in peace) script (use Google search).

Put the resulting ssdt file in your chameleon extras folder and set generate p and c states to true. Sleep should now work without sleepenabler.
I think the USB issues stem from the acpiplatform.kext. You need a patched version (I'll upload mine a little later or tomorrow). A caveat that resulted from applying it though; if a USB device is not present at boot, inserting one causes a system lockup. Not sure why. As applicable, cherry pic DSDT edits from this thread; http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098

As I said, a lot of the hardware is similar. That should go a long way to getting your machines nice and stable. Lastly, AppleHDA. AppleHDA will provide us with the most stable hackintosh possible. Voodoo HDA can occasionally be coaxed into working, but it generally breaks sleep. No bueno. Instead, I'd like to use a modified appleHDA per this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-lapt...-269-patch-applehda-may-work-idea-others.html
That's advanced though. Anyone who can do that should share their results with all of us. I'm currently slogging through it.

Ask me any questions, my experience with my X230t should help you guys a lot.

I own an X230t that I've installed Mountain Lion onto. I have USB 2.0, USB 3.0, sleep, speed stepping (automatic over and underclocking), graphics, and sound through the headphone jack working (WITHOUT Voodoo HDA, which is awful). Most of the components in our machines are similar, so I'll drop you guys a line.

To get powermanagement (and thus, sleep) working, you need a custom SSDT. You can make one using revogirl's (may she rest in peace) script (use Google search).

Put the resulting ssdt file in your chameleon extras folder and set generate p and c states to true. Sleep should now work without sleepenabler.
I think the USB issues stem from the acpiplatform.kext. You need a patched version (I'll upload mine a little later or tomorrow). A caveat that resulted from applying it though; if a USB device is not present at boot, inserting one causes a system lockup. Not sure why. As applicable, cherry pic DSDT edits from this thread; http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=102098

As I said, a lot of the hardware is similar. That should go a long way to getting your machines nice and stable. Lastly, AppleHDA. AppleHDA will provide us with the most stable hackintosh possible. Voodoo HDA can occasionally be coaxed into working, but it generally breaks sleep. No bueno. Instead, I'd like to use a modified appleHDA per this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-lapt...-269-patch-applehda-may-work-idea-others.html
That's advanced though. Anyone who can do that should share their results with all of us. I'm currently slogging through it.

Ask me any questions, my experience with my X230t should help you guys a lot.

This is solid, thank you! I will try it out this weekend.

I know this is a huuuuuuge long shot, but have you had any luck with discrete graphics? I am pretty sure I know the answer, and will be happy enough with intel HD4000, but you never know until you ask!

This is solid, thank you! I will try it out this weekend.

I know this is a huuuuuuge long shot, but have you had any luck with discrete graphics? I am pretty sure I know the answer, and will be happy enough with intel HD4000, but you never know until you ask!

..my laptop lacks discreet graphics. Sad, I know. Sorry!
Let me know how it goes.

Hi guys, I have the same machine with me. How do you all get to the install screen? I can't even get to that as my machine keeps on rebooting after it goes through several screens of "Read HFS+ File..." lines. I modified my BIOS to remove USB 3.0 support and to integrated graphics, but even with the boot flags of GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x PCIRootUID=0 in various combinations it still does not work. The farthest I've gotten to not rebooting is a black screen. How'd you guys manage to get even to the install screen?

Hi guys, I have the same machine with me. How do you all get to the install screen? I can't even get to that as my machine keeps on rebooting after it goes through several screens of "Read HFS+ File..." lines. I modified my BIOS to remove USB 3.0 support and to integrated graphics, but even with the boot flags of GraphicsEnabler=No -v -x PCIRootUID=0 in various combinations it still does not work. The farthest I've gotten to not rebooting is a black screen. How'd you guys manage to get even to the install screen?

Did you turn off NVIDIA Optimus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back