Contribute
Register

KNNSpeed's Build: DZ77RE-75K - Core i7-2600k - XFX 5670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, thanks. Again, appreciate your thoughts.

Yeah, it's really weird. I d/c'd the HD with Win 8 on it and just have my SSD hooked up to the Sata0 port. The board ignores the SSD entirely, as if it's not there. It says "insert a working drive." It even had a working copy of Win7 on it....wouldn't load. I'm guessing it has to do with me installing Windows 8 to check it out. Because I could boot into Win7, which I installed first on the SSD, then Win 8 on a separate HD, then tried Mac and ran into these problems. The SSD is fine, as I can access, write to it, etc, if it's used as a secondary drive. It just won't boot to it.

It boots perfect into OSX if I use the Lion Unibeast USB and Bridge Helper. It's just when I try to restart it on its own without that USB that it just sits and blinks at me. The other thing, too, is that when trying to install Mountain Lion with Unibeast, I get the AppleUSBEHCI error...and it just sits and hangs.

Ugh.....what did I get myself into! I feel like Icarus. Lol
You are using Bios version 0049, right?
I know 0045 had issues (http://communities.intel.com/thread/30534).
Here's a check for if Windows 8 messed up your UEFI boot table: If you disconnect everything bootable, there should be nothing in the F10 boot table. If there's still an entry there relating to Windows 8 or an hdd, it means Windows 8 is causing your drive boot errors, and you'll need to burn a linux cd to remove the efi entry (so I hope this isn't the case).

You can also try turning off uefi booting in the bios, which may help with the ssd boot problem.

The AppleEHCI hang is odd; do you have anything in the black or yellow USB ports?

You are using Bios version 0049, right?
I know 0045 had issues (http://communities.intel.com/thread/30534).
Here's a check for if Windows 8 messed up your UEFI boot table: If you disconnect everything bootable, there should be nothing in the F10 boot table. If there's still an entry there relating to Windows 8 or an hdd, it means Windows 8 is causing your drive boot errors, and you'll need to burn a linux cd to remove the efi entry (so I hope this isn't the case).

You can also try turning off uefi booting in the bios, which may help with the ssd boot problem.

The AppleEHCI hang is odd; do you have anything in the black or yellow USB ports?

I have whatever the BIOS is that came out of the box. Not sure if it's 0049. Probably not. I was reading about people having similar issues and it mentioned updating the BIOS. I'll look into that when I get home later. With the Win 8 drive unplugged, I don't think I saw anything pertaining to a WIN 8 drive, however I'll need to double check.

Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed about the EHCI hang, too. Not sure exactly what's causing it. I have my keyboard and USB thumb drive plugged into the black ports, but not the yellow. Should I just use the USB 3 ports?

Boot into OS X and reinstall Chimera. Then, somewhere in your BIOS change the 1st boot drive to be the OS X drive. Now you should be able to boot into Chimera. Sacrificing a chicken won't hurt, either. :thumbup:

Boot into OS X and reinstall Chimera. Then, somewhere in your BIOS change the 1st boot drive to be the OS X drive. Now you should be able to boot into Chimera. Sacrificing a chicken won't hurt, either. :thumbup:

Thanks, Stork. Tried that quite a few times, but I appreciate the suggestion. :)

It's actually a bug in the motherboard and the UEFI. I'm going to try upgrading BIOS next to see if that fixes it. If I pull up the "boot menu" in my bios and select the HHD, Chimera shows up no problem.

The thing I really need to figure out is why I'm getting the AppleUSBEHCI error when I try and install mountain lion.

....Making progress!

Try using the USB 3.0 ports, as the black (and yellow, since they are USB 2.0 charging ports) have weird problems with the AppleEHCI driver. Also, I found that the latest BIOS 0049 fixed a lot of hackintosh issues I had with earlier versions. I don't remember exactly if I had a boot issue with one of the earlier ones, but I have a strange feeling that I probably did.

Success!

It took pulling out the connections in the USB 2.0 ports and just utilizing the USB 3.0 for now. Booted using safe mode, ML installed no problem and I got things up and running. Chimera works (after I select it from the boot table, naturally) and should appear natively after a BIOS update (hopefully)....and fix the USB 2.0 issue.

I need to tweak Multibeast settings, as sound isn't working right for some reason (used the 889 codec), but I'll figure that out. The most important thing is that it works!

Thanks again!

Success!

It took pulling out the connections in the USB 2.0 ports and just utilizing the USB 3.0 for now. Booted using safe mode, ML installed no problem and I got things up and running. Chimera works (after I select it from the boot table, naturally) and should appear natively after a BIOS update (hopefully)....and fix the USB 2.0 issue.

I need to tweak Multibeast settings, as sound isn't working right for some reason (used the 889 codec), but I'll figure that out. The most important thing is that it works!

Thanks again!
Aha! Yes! Glad to hear it! For whatever reason AppleEHCI does not like these Intel boards.

By the way, sound is 898, NOT 889. If you need MultiBeast guidance, I have screenshots on the first page that can help.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 898. I used your photo for guidance. Still not working and some kinks to get out...followed what you said about the Airplay Mirroring...still not showing up. But that's minor...I imagine the BIOS update might help, as well. Few kinks to work out!

Funny enough, once I installed ML, the black USB ports worked just fine...even on bootup. Go figure.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 898. I used your photo for guidance. Still not working and some kinks to get out...followed what you said about the Airplay Mirroring...still not showing up. But that's minor...I imagine the BIOS update might help, as well. Few kinks to work out!

Funny enough, once I installed ML, the black USB ports worked just fine...even on bootup. Go figure.
You also repaired permissions via disk utility after making any MultiBeast changes, right?

AirPlay only works if you have an Apple TV on your network and you set the Integrated Graphics as the Primary Video Adapter in the BIOS, as OS X needs to see the HD graphics for it to work. This is great if you have dual-monitors, as one can be plugged into an Onboard graphics port while the other can be on your physical graphics card, and then you'll be able to still see the computer's boot process on the monitor on the integrated port. If you only have 1 monitor, though, I suppose you could plug both the intel and the graphics card into the same monitor, although that would be kind of awkward...

Yep! Repaired permissions each time. Not sure why it's acting up...just have to play aroudn with it more.

I read from one of the posts earlier that if I just switch the SATA 6.0 to 3.0 for my boot drive, it'll work just fine. I'll have to do that...see what happens.

Yeah, I have the HD4000 set to "on all the time" in the BIOS, switched over to macmini in my settings, and the Apple TV is in the same network. My iTunes will stream to it. Not sure why the Airplay Mirroring isn't working. has to be related to the HD4000. I'll keep working at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back