Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
iTunes Store Account Hacked [big thread]
https://discussions.apple.com/message/12670235#12670235

I noticed unauthorized charges from Apple this weekend. Turns out
this has been going on and Apple is doing nothing. Some people have
lost over $1000. I notified Apple immediately and their system keeps getting
compromised. See above thread. This is rampant. So remove your credit
card off your iTunes/AppleID. Even gift cards are getting hacked and wiped.
Beware.

I have a really secure password, what is happening is, the hackers are using
OTHER Apple accounts they can get in, and then use YOUR credit card (but
cannot hack into your account details). Its a combination of ID's they can
hack, and ID's they can't get into but can use their card number.

They will go into the ID they can get into and change the personal details.
You will see a charge on your card but you won't be able to see what they
bought (that will happen on the other ID they take over and harvest).

The thread is 100 pages and goes from 2010-2012.

DO NOT *repeat* do not give Apple your credit card.

good to know, i never filled out that part of account :D

Looks like this is happening to me. Thanks a ton for the mention.

I have an iPhone, and probably getting the new iPad in the next 5-6 months,
so I need to be able to buy apps. From reading the apple forum, the best
way to do it is buy a gift card and use it RIGHT AWAY.

gift cards are getting hacked too if you don't use it, or let balances sit on the
card. So get the gift card, and use up the whole card, any remaining balance will be
stolen.

its going to take 2 months for my card to get me the money that was stolen.
my bank is covering it during the "investigation" but if they rule against you
they can take back the money.

you do get your money back but you have to fax all this proof, its a pain in the ass.

x86kexts said:
I have an iPhone, and probably getting the new iPad in the next 5-6 months,
so I need to be able to buy apps. From reading the apple forum, the best
way to do it is buy a gift card and use it RIGHT AWAY.

gift cards are getting hacked too if you don't use it, or let balances sit on the
card. So get the gift card, and use up the whole card, any remaining balance will be
stolen.

its going to take 2 months for my card to get me the money that was stolen.
my bank is covering it during the "investigation" but if they rule against you
they can take back the money.

you do get your money back but you have to fax all this proof, its a pain in the ass.

I called my bank immediately. They handle things like this, meaning fraud, very seriously. I'm credited my money until the investigation is complete. Hopefully it will be fairly cut and dried and I'll have to take no further action.

My charges were straight stolen, not simply double charged like some people are claiming and in that lawsuit. SO glad I happened across this post.

I heard back from MasterCard. I believe there is a conflict of interest as my card offers discounts on iTunes. Apple says there are no record of the purchases on my account. My dispute charges were denied. $80 was stolen from me that I can't' get back. I have no recourse of any kind, but I wrote Apple again to tell me what I supposedly purchased. Update: Apple refuses to investigate and can't find any products purchased on my account.

Hello, I thought I would chime in because I work in the credit card fraud industry (can't specify what company since i'm posting on a public forum).

It's important to understand that ITUNES is a popular business just like many others. We see lots of ITunes fraud on consumer accounts who have never used an apple product in their life. Many cases of credit card fraud are not necessarily related to itunes accounts specifically being hacked. There is no difference between fraud occurring on itunes as compared to fraud occurring at a local store like best buy, walmart, or a grocery store. Its very possible that your credit card may have been compromised by other means, and then the perpetrator simply went to ITUNES (or best buy/walmart) and used the stolen credit card.

If you perform a google search for this topic (credit card fraud in general), you will notice that credit card information is stolen by means of computer viruses, credit card skimming devices, database breaches, remote scanning of chip cards, phishing scams, unsecured wifi networks and the list goes on.

I mention this simply because it's easy to point the finger at a company where the fraud took place. Unfortunately it's very possible that this merchant may be a victim as well.

I don't mean to say that ITunes accounts have not or cannot be hacked, it's always a good idea to exercise caution. I'm just saying that many of these reports are likely a result of credit cards being compromised else where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back