Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So what do you all think of the new iPhone 5?

I personally feel they dropped the ball design wise with this.
So make it thinner, nice, but then make it longer, wtf.

I so do not like the longer design and I feel a tad let down as I was hoping for some new innovation to set the bar for other companies. But I see their lawsuit with Samsung has taken away from creative process :/

I think longer is actually kinda cool. But the coolest part is probably the combination of LTE and more battery life than the 4S! I still remember when the HTC Thunderbolt first came out and had like 2 hrs of life on LTE. This is why apple waits to adopt these technologies.

What gets me is the fact they claim this is the "biggest thing to happen to iPhone, since iPhone"

Really? Not much at all happened. I guess, that means nothing much has changed about the iphone, ever in their estimation. I'd definitely say the iphone 4 was a larger step, compared to the 3gs. (I only have a 3gs) but HD video, much nicer screen, and a completely changed look made a bit of difference, for better or worse. iphone 5 is merely another incremental step.

Is this what is in store for Apple without Jobs at the helm? *gulp*

What gets me is the fact they claim this is the "biggest thing to happen to iPhone, since iPhone"

Really? Not much at all happened. I guess, that means nothing much has changed about the iphone, ever in their estimation. I'd definitely say the iphone 4 was a larger step, compared to the 3gs. (I only have a 3gs) but HD video, much nicer screen, and a completely changed look made a bit of difference, for better or worse. iphone 5 is merely another incremental step.

Is this what is in store for Apple without Jobs at the helm? *gulp*

Wow do you guys really expect them to change a formula that is proven to work?

Everything Apple does is evolutionary. The only things Apple does that is revolutionary is create new markets.

For instance. iPod, Revolutionary. iPad, revolutionary. Macbook Air, revolutionary-ish. iPhone...You get my point.

Once Apple enters a market they make a giant FREAKING wave and leap frog ALL other companies. Then they continue to run at a nice clip ahead of everyone else.

I don't understand what more you were exactly expecting? They already flipped the mobile phone market on its head and is continuing to make the market better year after year.

The only thing I can see as let downs for some people are, lack of TRUE 720p resolution. They countered that by saying it would increase the width which decreases usability. I for one believe them there. Lack of NFC, who cares. I haven't used ANYTHING that actually uses the technology. Wireless charging? Really? Stupid. You still have to have a base that is plugged into the wall and you still have to have a designated place to to place your gadget. It's a gimmick. Now 5-8 years from now when USB charging with wireless pads are built into every table top surface ok that would be an oversight. Guess what this phone will be dead by then.

Apple is NOTORIOUS for knowing EXACTLY what technologies to back and which ones not to back. They have a VERY good track record with that. Will you please everyone? Never.

Wow do you guys really expect them to change a formula that is proven to work?

Yes, as the constant gets stale. The iPhone 3 is not the 4 and the 5 is the 4 but longer.

Look, Apple does go in leaps with products and when they find their nitch they stick with it. Problem with the cellphone market is that now we are starting to see everybody with relatively the same product, hence the suing now.

Apple has more then enough talent to break the boundaries again and set the pace for something incredible. Just because they "flipped the mobile phone market on its head" doesn't mean that they cannot innovate and recreate.

Yes, as the constant gets stale. The iPhone 3 is not the 4 and the 5 is the 4 but longer.

Look, Apple does go in leaps with products and when they find their nitch they stick with it. Problem with the cellphone market is that now we are starting to see everybody with relatively the same product, hence the suing now.

Apple has more then enough talent to break the boundaries again and set the pace for something incredible. Just because they "flipped the mobile phone market on its head" doesn't mean that they cannot innovate and recreate.

Think of it from a different perspective. Before Apple came to market what did all dumb phones look like and and what did all smart phones look like? There is only so much people can do with the technology they have available to them.

Now that said I personally don't see how much more different you can make a phone look or act. Then again maybe that's why I don't design phones for a living. The question I have though is it seems to me that you think there is some new way for us to be interfacing with our phones. Am I missing something?

Now that all said people get new and interesting ideas to control things everyday. Just because it is new though doesn't mean its efficient.

I agree though back in the RAZR days it was easier for cell phone companies to make something that sort of resembled a new product but at core really wasn't. IMO when the interface is dynamic you are left with a simplistic design choice for the device. That being a glass front and some sort of back. Flip phone touchscreen now that would be cool! Something I could use at iPhone size or unfold to iPad size would be pretty awesome.

Mark

I think it also depends on what your starting point is. If you're upgrading from a 3G/3GS, then it's really a no-brainer because those phones are starting to get left more and more in the dust with iOS rollouts.

I'm using a 4 and I opted to preorder and upgrade to the 5. There was enough difference in the guts of the tech and what it could do that made it worthwhile to me. My wife has a 4S and she didn't really see anything that was too different from what she has...

In the end, I think it boils down to personal preference... The length didn't bother me, what did was the new port because I've had iDevices since the 15GB iPod with the 4 buttons... but there's no way I'm paying $30 for an adaptor... I'll wait for some 3rd party to make a cheaper adaptor...

So I've never had a smart phone but I'm thinking of getting an unlocked iPhone 5. I figure it can come in quite useful for many of the things I use now. I don't want to get one with a contract, even though in the short run it's cheaper but I don't talk or surf the internet that much that I'd warrant needing one of those plans. One of the things I want to replace (I need to buy a new one) is a GPS for my car. I often do long trips cross country or even trips to nearby cities, so I use it quite often.

My question is, would I be able to use the iPhone sufficiently enough to replace a Garmin GPS? Would I need to have a data plan? That's my main issue, I figure I can find some way to get voice plan or something prepaid preferrably as I only use the phone for calls once a week or usually during quick 1-2 min calls. I know the unlocked ones are pricey, but I figure if it can do all those things and I can still manage to pay what I pay now for calls (I had a tracfone before) then it would be worth it. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back