Contribute
Register

Intel NUC DC3217IYE & OS X 10.8.2 SUCCESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any advantage to one of these over a real Mac Mini? It seams that they are comparable in price after loading with the same features.

Note: I don't have one of these (yet :shh:) , I'm an "armchair analyst". However, I do have a jailbroken AppleTV 2 running FireCore's aTV Flash software, and I have a hackintosh that I use as an HTPC, so I do know something of what I'm talking about.

That said, I see this as more of an AppleTV+++. With the right software (such as XBMC or even better, Plex) it's perfect as an HTPC "device" because of its appearance, size, my assumption that it's very quiet, etc. But it can also do everything a full-fledged hackintosh can do, hence the "+++".

Size and/or power consumption? Other than that I don't see anything too radically different. No 1394 or USB 3.0 options aside from using a thunderbolt adapter. You're limited by the amount of storage based on mSATA.

No limit on storage if you're using it as an HTPC, you just use NAS for your media. Not to mention that you can add all the external storage you want through USB ports or Thunderbolt (if you get the Thunderbolt option).

No limit on storage if you're using it as an HTPC, you just use NAS for your media. Not to mention that you can add all the external storage you want through USB ports or Thunderbolt (if you get the Thunderbolt option).
I think you misunderstood. I was stating the difference between it and a mac mini.

i'm having a problem with graphics. i have the thunderbolt version of the NUC with a single 4GB DDR3 1600 stick. while i decide what size m-sata SSD to buy, i am using an external SATA HD.

here are my install steps:

as mentioned in one of these threads, i set the video memory in BIOS to 128mb

created unibeast installer using purchased 10.8.2
installed ML to the external HD
restarted using unibeast as boot helper
ran multibeast, installe toleda's dsdt from post #6 in the NUC HDMI audio thread
installed toleda's AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext from post #11 in the above thread

removed the unibeast stick and booted from the HD. KP on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext. i installed a version modded for mountain lion (as i have had to do with other ML hacks) and all was well.

rebooted. when the graphics shifted from the apple/gearwheel screen to the desktop, the desktop image looks like 15 images horizontally, compressed into the upper 1/3 of the screen, with rows of thin horizontal bars throught. i have a attached an iphone pic of the screen (which inexplicably was flipped 180 degrees when i emailed it to myself, but that's a problem for later)

i rebooted several times with the same result.

if i unplug the HDMI cable and replug it (without rebooting) the desktop appears as normal.

i then used a mini display port to hdmi cable and used the thunderbolt port. same result--scrambled desktop upon reboot, but unplug/replug gives proper display.

SO i decided it might be a sync problem with my monitor, so i moved to my Vizio tv. as before, the FIRST boot produced the proper graphics output, but every subsequent reboot gives the scrambled desktop. again, as before, unplugging and replugging (either with the hdmi port or the mini display port cable) gives the proper display.

ALSO, using screen sharing, the remotely-viewed desktop is proper, even when the tv/monitor shows the scrambled desktop.

back to the bios settings for graphics:

i also tried 256mb, 512mb, and Auto, all with the same result.

THE GOOD NEWS is that HDMI audio works.

WHEN USING SAFE BOOT the graphics display properly, at 1080p resolution.

any ideas?

thanks!!

ken

Attachments

• Pic.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 217
i'm having a problem with graphics. i have the thunderbolt version of the NUC with a single 4GB DDR3 1600 stick. while i decide what size m-sata SSD to buy, i am using an external SATA HD.

here are my install steps:

as mentioned in one of these threads, i set the video memory in BIOS to 128mb

created unibeast installer using purchased 10.8.2
installed ML to the external HD
restarted using unibeast as boot helper
ran multibeast, installe toleda's dsdt from post #6 in the NUC HDMI audio thread
installed toleda's AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext from post #11 in the above thread

removed the unibeast stick and booted from the HD. KP on AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext. i installed a version modded for mountain lion (as i have had to do with other ML hacks) and all was well.

rebooted. when the graphics shifted from the apple/gearwheel screen to the desktop, the desktop image looks like 15 images horizontally, compressed into the upper 1/3 of the screen, with rows of thin horizontal bars throught. i have a attached an iphone pic of the screen (which inexplicably was flipped 180 degrees when i emailed it to myself, but that's a problem for later)

i rebooted several times with the same result.

if i unplug the HDMI cable and replug it (without rebooting) the desktop appears as normal.

i then used a mini display port to hdmi cable and used the thunderbolt port. same result--scrambled desktop upon reboot, but unplug/replug gives proper display.

SO i decided it might be a sync problem with my monitor, so i moved to my Vizio tv. as before, the FIRST boot produced the proper graphics output, but every subsequent reboot gives the scrambled desktop. again, as before, unplugging and replugging (either with the hdmi port or the mini display port cable) gives the proper display.

ALSO, using screen sharing, the remotely-viewed desktop is proper, even when the tv/monitor shows the scrambled desktop.

back to the bios settings for graphics:

i also tried 256mb, 512mb, and Auto, all with the same result.

THE GOOD NEWS is that HDMI audio works.

WHEN USING SAFE BOOT the graphics display properly, at 1080p resolution.

any ideas?

thanks!!

ken

Have you tried editing your org.chameleon.boot.plist and putting the following key in:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Have you tried editing your org.chameleon.boot.plist and putting the following key in:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

kwiksilver--you get an A for the day! that was the solution

thanks

ken

Hey,

yes your right hdmi audio shall/will work
Tony posted the right topic already.

I will try this today.
So my correct statement should be ' >I< need usb audio because i use a dvi screen' :)

Sleep/wake works well. The powerbutton blinks and syste wake
Up when pushing or pressimg Keyboard

what did you do to get wake from sleep to work? did you have to change some of the power settings in BIOS?

sleep: goes to sleep properly (display sleeps, power button blinks) but after pressing the power button or making a mouse click, the power button light comes back on to steady, but no video.

any ideas?

thanks

ken

Intel NUC replacement cases:

http://www.techpowerup.com/176104/A...nd-Shiny-Replacement-Cases-for-Intel-NUC.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/177389/Abee-Debuts-Two-More-Intel-NUC-Replacement-Cases.html

I’d really like to get an Intel NUC. I want the Thunderbolt version but I was disappointed that it didn’t have Ethernet. You can get past the Ethernet issue though with USB / Thunderbolt solutions though. Both models seem to only have USB 2.0 though and the there is only one Thunderbolt port on the D33217GKE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back