Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I am trying to boot snow leopard onto my computer using a 8 gig usb because i don't own any DL disks. I burn the DMG onto the usb using Tony Macx86 old usb tutorial using my macbook air. When I use iBoot and put the usb into my computer everything works fine and I enter InstallDrive. Many things come up until an error reads "EBIOS read error: Device timeout Block 0x64044 Sectors 0" over and over again. When that error reads, the light on my USB turns off which means some connection is wrong.

I have a core i5 processor and an Evga SLI Mobo with 4 gigs of ram and a ATI 4670 graphics card.

:banghead: What should i do? :banghead:

Wait are you installing it on a usb drive? If so, that in and of itself is the issue. It doesn't like that. Let me know.

You can certainly install from a USB stick (as opposed to onto a USB stick, although that might be poss also!), as that's how I did mine initially...

A note I made at the time I did the install was:
Disable USB/EHCI options in com.apple.Boot.plist, else hangs reading off USB stick after Kernel loading.
Perhaps that's the same problem you see, Michael.

However, I did not use iBoot, just made an /Extra folder on the USB stick to make it (the SL DVD image) bootable, so had a basic DSDT, fakesmc etc.

I believe that using iBoot may make use of a boot.plist on a preboot.dmg that has the EHCIacquire/UHCIreset set. (Not actually sure how iBoot works....), in which case perhaps you can override by manually typing in at the Chameleon prompt:
Code:
EHCIacquire=No UHCIreset=No
May help..

Oh man you are totally right! You have opened up many doors because iBoot was working great for me without Multibeast at all and I wanted to put it on a flash drive so it would load quicker and so i could edit files on it. WHAMMO!!!!

Oh wait. It DOES enable me to boot from the USB drive but then I lose usb functionality when in OSX. Any clues as to why? Strange how it flips like that.

My post above (ie: sutff about E/UHCI was aimed at using 8GB USB stick (with a modified & restored DVD.dmg image) for initial installation...

Sure, you can use a USB "booter" stick, but you have to worry about ensuring the right contents of /Extra to be what you need for the day-to-day use. Not thought through why it's different for doing an install than normal, but probably tied to LegacyUSB, what the BIOS does as it hands off to bootloader and then Chameleon handing to kernel+kexts which have their own issues, of course the new USB problems in 10.6.3 etc...(and diff to 10.6.2, where DSDT dev id spoofing ideally needed..)

Yeah I just copied all of the iBoot files over (because my system runs perfect with just iBoot) and i only lose usb when typing in your code. However I just realized that last time I rebooted, I did so from the flash drive without typing anything in and it works fine. Hm. I did add my DSDT.aml to /Extra and my SMBIOS.plist to /Extra/Preboot.dmg/Extra. I wonder if those files affect it or if successfully booting from it just once made it work from then on. I have NO idea but as long as it stays like this, I am doing great!

michael7795 said:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to boot snow leopard onto my computer using a 8 gig usb because i don't own any DL disks. I burn the DMG onto the usb using Tony Macx86 old usb tutorial using my macbook air. When I use iBoot and put the usb into my computer everything works fine and I enter InstallDrive. Many things come up until an error reads "EBIOS read error: Device timeout Block 0x64044 Sectors 0" over and over again. When that error reads, the light on my USB turns off which means some connection is wrong.

I have a core i5 processor and an Evga SLI Mobo with 4 gigs of ram and a ATI 4670 graphics card.

:banghead: What should i do? :banghead:
I had the same error this weekend while trying to install (embios error), also by using a dmg restored to an usb drive.

going to use the official retail disc tonight, just bought a sata dvd drive for only this purpose.

i guess it's because of the usb thing or something :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back