Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

Out of curiosity, Can I run SL on a Z77 board with a 2600k chip on it? Thats still Sandybridge right??

OK, I'm having no luck with:
Intel DQ77MK Mobo + Intel i7 - 3770 CPU so i'm gonna see if a i7-2600 CPU fits in the hole...
i'll let you know what happens.

I can't see myself upgrading beyond SL for the next few years because the Pro-Audio software developers aren't up to speed.

-------------------------
Current working setup:
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel DQ67SW Mobo
Intel i7 - 2600 @ 3.4Ghz
No on chip graphics (2600 only has HD2000)
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 210 512mb (DDR2) Dual DVI
16GB ram
Cossair 120GB SSD Boot drive @ 6mbps
Hitachi 7k3000 2TB Data drive @ 6mbps
Generic Firewire 800 Card

OK, I'm having no luck with:
Intel DQ77MK Mobo + Intel i7 - 3770 CPU so i'm gonna see if a i7-2600 CPU fits in the hole...
i'll let you know what happens.

I can't see myself upgrading beyond SL for the next few years because the Pro-Audio software developers aren't up to speed.

-------------------------
Current working setup:
Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Intel DQ67SW Mobo
Intel i7 - 2600 @ 3.4Ghz
No on chip graphics (2600 only has HD2000)
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 210 512mb (DDR2) Dual DVI
16GB ram
Cossair 120GB SSD Boot drive @ 6mbps
Hitachi 7k3000 2TB Data drive @ 6mbps
Generic Firewire 800 Card

World of Pies

Your Intel DQ77MK Mobo + Intel i7 - 3770 are Ivy Bridge

Will not run SL ever. CPu and Northbridge chips are not compatable w OSX SL - adding a Sandy Bridge CPU will only add to the confusion. Whats needed is a Sandy Bridge CPU and a Sandy Bridge Motherboard from our list of DSDT files for Motherboards then you have a better chance - Just make sure their is a DSDT file available for you MB.

The newer IVY Bridge will be great for ML.

Thanks totenkopf4,
I have 4 SandyBridge Machines all running SL nicely, so what i'm doing here is trying to see if i can get an Ivy bridge machine to run SL using the patched Kernel.

Somebody here asked if it's possible to use a 2600 CPU with a series 7 Mobo (i don't know why).
seeing as i have a 2600 lying around, i thought i try it and see what I/O i can get running.

--------------

Where I'm getting stuck with the Ivy + SL, is the 10.6.8 Updater keeps failing (i had the same trouble last year when i was building my sandy bridges) somehow i got it on before but i can't remember how :(

... I've got an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mono with i5-3570K CPU, one stick of 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Sandisk 240GB SSD, using on board HD4000 graphics for video. ... Any help?

Can anyone help with this? I've been trying to get this working for days, and I'm sure I'm just missing some simple, small detail, just don't know what it is... Has anyone setup SL with the same hardware config or at least the same mobo?

Thanks for the help!

Ok, so maybe this is the wrong forum or thread to post this in? If someone could at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Just trying to get my system up and running. Is there another site I should try to get help at? Or just another forum? Thanks again for your help...

Ed

If it's the ivy bridge then use the the iboot ivy bridge http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=149 it gets mine up and running on z77-d3h but then i have problems with audio and graphics and not running as 64bit etc etc etc but it does at least get it up and running

TpwUK

SUCCESS! pro audio snow leopard ivy bridge working OK!

SUCCESS! Snow Leopard ivy bridge pro audio working OK!
Wireless kbd, WLAN, ethernet, dual displays, all OK. Loaded up Logic Pro with lots of tracks (using ProFire 2626 firewire attached audio), no clicks or noise, seems fine. Cannot boot from HD, but configured the Ivy Bridge iBoot ISO to a bootable USB stick. Cannot log into app store, all other ethernet and wireless is fine. Ready to place system in production use in my band's project studio to record our next EP. Previous material (http://firstrush.com) recorded with Reaper on Windows XP, mixed and mastered on drummer's home real Mac with Pro Logic. (Tip: listen free to all entire tracks at http://firstrush.bandcamp.com ).
**edit**well 32 bit, and SL only reports 4 GB in about this mac, but curiously sees both 4GB ram modules in the memory detail screen**

Wireless kbd, WLAN, ethernet, dual displays, all OK. Loaded up Logic Pro with lots of tracks (using ProFire 2626 firewire attached audio), no clicks or noise, seems fine. Cannot boot from HD, but configured the Ivy Bridge iBoot ISO to a bootable USB stick. Cannot log into app store, all other ethernet and wireless is fine. Ready to place system in production use in my band's project studio to record our next EP. Previous material (http://firstrush.com) recorded with Reaper on Windows XP, mixed and mastered on drummer's home real Mac with Pro Logic. (Tip: listen free to all entire tracks at http://firstrush.bandcamp.com ).
**edit**well 32 bit, and SL only reports 4 GB in about this mac, but curiously sees both 4GB ram modules in the memory detail screen**

I think you might be able to get all 8 GB of RAM to work if you edit the org.Chameleon.boot.plist file in /Extra of your iBoot USB drive. Remove "maxmem=4096" under Kernel Flags.

What steps did you take to get it to work? It would be great to know.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Working on installing Snow Leopard>Mtn Lion to system as below (bought from links here). Wasn't smart enough to make iboot-ivy-bridge without excellent kibbutz from Going Bald Have Snow Leopard on the new unit--it'll boot with iboot-ivy-bridge, not with hard drive. I downloaded ML. Then I stupidly clicked "continue" on the ML INstallation app. I stopped the process. Used Lion Diskmaker to burn a Sandisk Cruzer Glide Flash drive for future clean installs. I think I succeeded. The disk has Install OS X Mountain Lion file, a Utilities folder with subfolders.

Found an unused Simpletech 4 GB usb flash drive for Unibeast ML to make a bootable drive. Rebooted with iboot-ivy-bridge in cd drive. chose my usb drive, no go: gray apple screen.

then new unit stopped "seeing" the simpletech. my windows pc saw the drive, offering to format, which I permitted. inserted simpletech into new unit, partitioned it as Mac Extended (journaled) Guid. again let Unibeast ML transform it, but the operation failed. Suspect at least a faulty drive and any number of other things. Maybe need a specific brand of USB flash drive? Maybe planets mis-aligned. Now what?

Can I rescue the process at this point? New USB drive? UM?
should I start all over? If so, how do I do that? This isn't supposed to be difficult, is it?
Thanks (I hope)

PS oops I see it. It's: Updated Mountain Lion Installation Guide I need to get a new USB drive & repartition:
Click Options...
7. Choose Master Boot Record (instead of GUID)
wish me luck

Back