Motherboard
Dell E6230
CPU
i7 3GHz i7
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
So, I have an imac G5 pre-isight model, basically dead for many years. It lasted literally 3 month past warranty. $1799, I will never forget the animated discussion with an apple rep. I would say that's where it all started for me, the interest in hackintosh. Anyways I have an inspiron 13z 5323 with a broken keyboard connector clip on the motherboard. For the life of me tried everything, and nothing seems to work. The clip is thin and tiny nothing I tried worked. So that too is been sitting. So reading these wonderful post and success on the mods made me think. Would that laptop motherboard be ideal for this mod? Its a very narrow board measuring 10.5"L by 3"W. Much like the logic MB already in the iMac, from what I remember. What would be the challenges I would face. I know it will run OSX cause I have another one that is running just fine. I don't mind the challenge. However the display mod worries me a bit. Coming from a laptop board, how would I tackle the video conversion part? The same way as a NUC? Do I still need to use the PSU on the imac to power the screen backlight?

Back then I never found the issue with the iMac. After a few minutes powered on, it would freeze and all the fan engines went full blast. It was like a 747 ready for takeoff. I read from caps, to video, to PSU. That rep wanted if I remember at the time $700 or $800 for a new MB. I think I broke a rib laughing when he said that. So guys what do you think easier or worse with respect with NUC mod.

I would give it a shot with the laptop mobo if you're up to the challenge :p I'm currently working on an isight G5 imac and i'm fitting in a thin itx motherboard, so the thickness shouldn't be the issue with a pre-isight model. HOWEVER, open it up and have a look at the other dimensions, if it doen't interfere with the spot where the stand enters the imac (or any other parts you'de re-use) you should be good to go clearance wise. I don't know however how the pre-isight inverter and psu works, so you might have to check out how to get power to your mobo.

And to answer your final question, yes, NUC mod will be easier as there is way more documentation about it on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back