Contribute
Register

i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Shilohh,

I'm about to order my parts, the same parts as your build but with a 64GB Ram Kit (Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz) and the GTX 780 Ti. Do you think this memory will work with the Rampage Extreme motherboard, without issues?

This will be my first ever build so I don't have that much knowledge about hackintosh, but I believe I'll be able to follow your guide, if everything works out as it should along the way.

I know it's a work in progress guide but is there anything you know that just doesn't work in this build? Any accessory (usb devices) compatibility problems maybe? As I'm going to use the build for 3D and post production I'd like it to be as stable as possible. I don't care about bluetooth as I won't make use of it.

Thank you for taking the time to put this guide together and I hope you get the time to answer my questions. :)

Big thanks in advance!

@ Machine,
The only issue I had with Eric's build was USB drives force ejecting at sleep. Posting a work around in the OP now. Onboard BlueTooth is a waste of time. That's all. As a pro work station, it KICKS A$$!!!!

Pick your ram from Asus's QVL (Qualified Vendor List). I've had a great experience with GSkill but I know I saw a 64GB kingston kit on the QVL a while ago. Most of the issues I've heard about came from Corsair.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide

I also wasn't undermining your awesome build as I'm more than impressed with your results.I built a hack that was roughly the same spec though with a rampage formula and a 4770k in the same case, same cooler....yada yada. it was fast, and somewhat stable, however there were many issues with bluetooth and also other issues with software compatibility and i really got tired of having to plug in a mouse/keyboard to enter bios.I was spending so much time and effort trying to get the thing working that finally i decided to sell it and get a real mac. Still i do think you guys are the smart ones. Price vs performance= you win hands down.
Really, no offense taken. All great conversation starters.

Stability wise, this thing is rock solid. I've been running my 3930K build for almost 2 years. I can say without a doubt that my hack is more stable than my Mac Pro ever was or is. But, I can't comment on Bluetooth because I've never tried to make it work.

@shilohh
That is great to hear! You're doing amazing work!
Thank you very much for the answers!

About the memory (64GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz), do you think it will work? I've read that there may be problems using 64GB memory on this board so I thought maybe you knew something about that?

If the G.Skill memory is necessary I will go with it.

Pick your ram from Asus's QVL (Qualified Vendor List). I've had a great experience with GSkill but I know I saw a 64GB kingston kit on the QVL a while ago. Most of the issues I've heard about came from Corsair.

Ok thank you very much! Saw you changed the post after I wrote :)

I will order my stuff and I'll probably write back here on how it goes :)

Big thanks Shilohh!

Sorry I have a habit of changing posts instead making new ones. Read this:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide

Thanks for the link, it really seems tricky to get 64GB memory to work. There is not many kits for it either.

I went on the QVL list for rampage iv extreme and there is a 64GB (8x8) Kingston kit listed there.
(Hope this screenshot is allowed)
Skärmavbild 2014-04-22 kl. 14.29.50.png

The part number matches the one I'm about to buy.

But as in the link you linked, they say that it may not be correct. It makes me unsure as it's a lot of money at stake :p

@Machinee,
they also say it can be safe to use kits that the ram manufacturers have qualified to work with x79. I don't think that the kit I have is on that list but GSkill qualified it to work and it has like a dream. If you're going to use a noctua air cooler, you'll need to make sure that the ram doesn't stick up too high.

@shilohh
Yeah, I looked it up on the kingston page. It's made for X79 but they don't mention the Rampage IV Extreme specifically. I think I'm gonna try the Kingston, they're supposed to be great memory. I blame asus otherwise :p

I'm gonna use the Noctua air cooler but the NH-D15 as it's supposed to support tall memory. I hope there shouldn't be any compatibility issues when it comes to functionality with this fan, maybe you know something about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back