Contribute
Register

HP 350 G1 clover Yosemite post install advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news, I have reinstalled my two OS's and things are working again.

I am able to airplay to apple TV (and mirror) via wired ethernet connection. Apparently, I hadn't added the kexts before like you noted in your previous post.

I tried a random wifi card to see if my bios has a white list. It didn't recognize it or even try to load drivers once I booted into Windows.

I do have my service manual.

It lists the following cards, none of which are supported on Clover.
Atheros AR9485 802.11bgn WiFi Adapter
Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth® 4.0 Adapter
Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter
Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

If I buy one of the supported cards for Clover and Yosemite, how do I get around the whitelist?

Clover has nothing to do with WiFi... It is just a bootloader.

Clover has nothing to do with WiFi... It is just a bootloader.

Let me state a different way.

According to the Guide to Install Yosemite on HP Laptops with Clover UEFI

Compatible Wifi card

If you don't have the following wifi card, you have to replace.
Here is the list of recommended compatible wifi cards:
- HP Probook 4x30s: HP-branded Atheros AR5B195
- HP Probook 6x60b/5330m, HP Elitebook 8x60p/2x60p: HP-branded Broadcom 43224HMS (582564-001/582564-002)
- Other laptop:

• WIFI ONLY: Atheros AR9280/9285, Broadcom 4322/43224 (better OS X feature support)
  • WIFI + BT: AR5B195 (not recommended), Broadcom 43225HMB/4352HMB (better OS X feature support)

According to my service manual, it appears that the following cards are whitelisted in my bios.

Atheros AR9485 802.11bgn WiFi Adapter
Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth® 4.0 Adapter
Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter
Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter

This is further confirmed by trying a working wifi card (working meaning that It was working in another laptop and is functional in general in Windows 7), inserting into my HP laptop, booting into windows, and seeing that windows does not recognize the card or even prompt me to install drivers.

Is there a way to whitelist the Broadcom 43225HMB/4352HMB so I can use it with my laptop?

...This is further confirmed by trying a working wifi card (working meaning that It was working in another laptop and is functional in general in Windows 7), inserting into my HP laptop, booting into windows, and seeing that windows does not recognize the card or even prompt me to install drivers.

Run 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal with the card installed. If it shows up on the PCI bus, then there is no whitelist and your Windows problems are something else.

Is there a way to whitelist the Broadcom 43225HMB/4352HMB so I can use it with my laptop?

If you have a whitelist, you may be able to rebrand it as one of the whitelisted cards, then use FakePCIID to remap it in OS X. Questionable as to whether it will work in Windows.

With my Lenovo u430, I rebrand an AR9280 as Lenovo AR946x. Then use FakePCIID to make OS X believe it is actually an AR9280 (which it is, but it is identified as AR946x on the PCI bus). It does not work in Windows, so I use a USB WiFi when running Windows.

Run 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal with the card installed. If it shows up on the PCI bus, then there is no whitelist and your Windows problems are something else.

If you have a whitelist, you may be able to rebrand it as one of the whitelisted cards, then use FakePCIID to remap it in OS X. Questionable as to whether it will work in Windows.

With my Lenovo u430, I rebrand an AR9280 as Lenovo AR946x. Then use FakePCIID to make OS X believe it is actually an AR9280 (which it is, but it is identified as AR946x on the PCI bus). It does not work in Windows, so I use a USB WiFi when running Windows.

Very cool. Thank you for the tips.

I live booted ubuntu and ran "lscpi -nn" and found my broadcom card listed. Great! no whitelist problems. (The issue with the other card I tried may have been a windows problem of user error).

In the course of trying all of this, I have found one of my old laptops has an Atheros AR5B195. I put in my machine and verified that it does work. I also added the drivers for my windows 7 (beyond the scope of this site) to further confirm the card works and the bios accepts it.

When I use this card in Yosemite, is it going to work out of the box, or do I need to do something for Yosemite to recognize it and allow me to use it?

Very cool. Thank you for the tips.

I live booted ubuntu and ran "lscpi -nn" and found my broadcom card listed. Great! no whitelist problems. (The issue with the other card I tried may have been a windows problem of user error).

In the course of trying all of this, I have found one of my old laptops has an Atheros AR5B195. I put in my machine and verified that it does work. I also added the drivers for my windows 7 (beyond the scope of this site) to further confirm the card works and the bios accepts it.

When I use this card in Yosemite, is it going to work out of the box, or do I need to do something for Yosemite to recognize it and allow me to use it?

If you follow the guide here, you have ProbookARPT.kext which enables AR9280 (AR5B195) and other WiFi cards as recommended in the guide post #1.

If you follow the guide here, you have ProbookARPT.kext which enables AR9280 (AR5B195) and other WiFi cards as recommended in the guide post #1.

You're saying that if I followed the guide, the kext should already be installed, and the card should just work?

I think maybe the problem is that the card is not HP branded. It is just branded Atheros. Which means I have a card that isn't officially supported in the guide. Should I ask if there is a work around, or are you going to just point me back to the guide?:p

You're saying that if I followed the guide, the kext should already be installed, and the card should just work?

Yes.

I think maybe the problem is that the card is not HP branded.

Not a problem if there is no whitelist. OS X doesn't check for HP branded cards.

Yes.

Not a problem if there is no whitelist. OS X doesn't check for HP branded cards.

The guide says I needed an HP branded card....

Is there a way to make sure that the kext is loaded? Probably a dumb question, but I am trying to learn my hardware and learn where things are stored.

It does not.

Post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply to an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

I got my azurwave branded bcm94352. It worked right out of the box on the yosemite side.

On the windows side, windows recognized it, but I had to go digging to find drivers for it. One would think they would be quick and easy to find. I found them, and now things work on the windows side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back