Contribute
Register

How do you revert to a previous clover version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370m Mortar; ASUS Zenbook Pro UX535LI
CPU
i5-9600k; i7-10750H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
I updated to the latest Clover from a fully functional Yosemite installation and now the boot hangs midway with no meaningful error messages in verbose mode. Safe mode does not boot either. Nothing has changed in Yosemite.

Is there a simple way to reinstall the previous version of clover that was working without access to another Mac? I am able to boot into single user.

Tried making a USB version of previous version of Clover and booting OS X from there. But the boot aborts and keeps rebooting.

I am hoping there is a simple way to copy previous Clover version into EFI partition without mucking around with OS X installation.

Thanks

Managed to get it working and here is the procedure for anyone that encounters the same problem.

Do a fresh Clover bootable install to a USB drive of the previous version of Clover that worked before along with the specific DSDT and SSDT and kexts. The last part might be necessary to get it to boot in your particular hackintosh.

You can now boot to OS X that is on the hard drive. Everything should work.

Make a backup of the EFI folder on the hard drive and delete all the folders in it. It may not work without the last step because installing the previous version of Clover over a recent version might not update some files or may leave files that interfere. It was necessary to do so before it worked for me.

Then do the same install of the previous version of Clover on the hard drive. Copy any needed SSDT and DSDTs and kexts for your hackintosh. Finally copy back the folders from EFI backup for any dual boots you may have, for example Microsoft for Windows (otherwise, you will find the option to boot to that system missing in Clover menu).

Finally, make a backup of the working EFI folder for the future.

And don't update something if it ain't broke in the Hackintosh world!

Bummer that you had issues with upgrading Clover. I've had two Clover updates since I did my build and ::knock on wood:: haven't had any issues with them. Your post will definitely make me be more cautious. Also reminds me that I need to setup automatic backup of my EFI partition as Time Machine isn't backing that up....

You need not remove or make any changes to the EFI Partition!

If you are unable to boot in the OSX partition then boot into the OSX partition using a USB having a working Clover EFI partition. Always make sure you have a backup of your OSX installer when you first created to install OSX on your system.

Just go and download any version of Clover you want from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/files/Installer/

Open the package and the installer automatically mounts the EFI partition. Be sure to select the appropriate partition. Need not change even the settings/customize during installation.But it is best if you verify your settings/customization.

Restart your system. That's it! You have successfully reverted back to your old Clover version.

Please don't update to Clover v3642+ for now. You might not be able to boot into your OSX partition.

Last edited:
Hi there!
I run 10.13 and everything went fine except a lot of restarts while having a OsxAptioFixDrv Error.
Searching the forum gave me a lot of suggestions and I tried to delete the OsxAptioFixDrv and pasted another one.
Now I can't boot anymore and I get the information that the requested memory exceeds the allocated ones...

Anyway I made a new usb stick with unibeast bootable config and even when I run from the usb stick I get the same error.
My idea was to run from the usb stick, change the files in the efi and reboot normaly and ask here in the forum for new suggestions :D

Can someone help to reach the efi again? ;) Thanks a lot!

Edit: I found this helpful Link to create a bootable usb stick: Bootloaders
Edit2: I can't use my old OS because the monitor gets black ... Finally I made it with the recovery terminal, mounting the EFI and deleting the bad file while replacing it with the good old one ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back