Contribute
Register

Has anyone actually solved problems going from 10.6 to 107

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the explanation. Okay, so that definitely leaves the Lion-fresh install out. Still not quite sure where to look. Disk Utility seems to only check permissions (I found some poorly permissioned kexts but I assume this is only cosmetic). I've not checked the hard disk yet, but I assume this is probably a smart thing to do.

What would one look for in System Profiler when trying to troubleshoot?

Screen Shot 2011-09-29 at 12.55.40 AM.png
gaijinpunch said:
Cheers for the explanation. Okay, so that definitely leaves the Lion-fresh install out. Still not quite sure where to look. Disk Utility seems to only check permissions (I found some poorly permissioned kexts but I assume this is only cosmetic). I've not checked the hard disk yet, but I assume this is probably a smart thing to do.

down the list is logs etc

disk utility at top right for logs ;

utilities folder ...console

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-29 at 12.55.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-29 at 12.55.40 AM.png
    311.9 KB · Views: 124
gaijinpunch said:

Not really. If you want to check your apps for compatibility, see http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/15/how-to-c ... os-x-lion/
but basically it is the dropping of Rosetta from Lion and the inability to run any PowerPC app that is the problem.
If you have no PowerPC apps, then you will have no problem.
Unfortunately, I have several, Adobe PhotoShop CS being one of them.

hardmantosh: Cool. I will tinker a bit more when I get home.

Unfortunately, I have several, Adobe PhotoShop CS being one of them.

This will mainly be a Photoshop machine, w/ a few other audio apps. Honestly, I'm cool w/ Snow Leopard. Just not the crashing.

I ran Disk Utility to do some clean up. It's not crashed (while working) for a couple of days. I've also been turning it off when not using it as 1) sleep isn't working 2) it's not exactly the quietest machine in the world. It did take a dump on my once during the shut down process which isn't the most irksome thing in the world but makes me believe perhaps the issue isn't solved.

And, now it bombed. I'm wondering if it's audio related. I never got the onboard audio to work, which was fine with me. I am using an external, professional mixer (Allen & Heath Xone 4D) which I need over a cheap onboard or PCI sound card. It comes with a proprietary driver, which "works". I found this in kernel.log though.

Code:
Oct  4 01:42:32 txmac02 kernel[0]: AJ::inAsyncCompletionRoutine failed - status:E00002ED bufferSizeRemaining:9
Oct  4 01:42:32 txmac02 kernel[0]: PGDevice::bulkAudioInCompletion status:E00002ED mTransferedBytes:00004200
Oct  4 01:42:32 txmac02 kernel[0]: AJ::inAsyncCompletionRoutine failed - status:E00002EB bufferSizeRemaining:9
Oct  4 01:42:32: --- last message repeated 13 times ---
Oct  4 01:42:32 txmac02 kernel[0]: ENTER terminate PGKernelDeviceXONE4D v2.0.2
Oct  4 01:42:32 txmac02 kernel[0]: KeThread_IOThreadFunc EXIT
Oct  4 01:42:33 txmac02 kernel[0]: EXIT terminate PGKernelDeviceXONE4D v2.0.2

Maybe someone more versed with a kernel.log can shed some light. I'm removing the kext for now and seeing if that helps.

So far so good on this... I will assume that it occurs when audio is enabled but the device is not plugged in. It's huge (professional mixer) so I don't always have it in and on. There is no other audio device in the machine (never got onboard sound to work) so maybe that's the issue.

10.6.8 issues still (random crashes)

Bleck -- it crashed.
From what I can tell, the system.log, kernel.log, and error_log have nothing in them pre-crash. Only the boot process, where it tries to find the crash but I'm not seeinganything obvious.

Anywhere else I should look?

Re: 10.6.8 issues still (random crashes)

gaijinpunch said:
Bleck -- it crashed.
From what I can tell, the system.log, kernel.log, and error_log have nothing in them pre-crash. Only the boot process, where it tries to find the crash but I'm not seeinganything obvious.

Anywhere else I should look?

Hey man,i see you still got issues...are you having power issues dude?????

what power supply are you using???????

is this mixer just software or do you have stuff connected to a mixing board..

if its external mixer what connections to the hac has it got???????????????

Hi

I'm beginning to think that it is indeed related to the mixer and whether:

1: It's on
2: It's been turned off and back on during an up cycle of the machine.

If I turn the mixer on before boot and leave it on, thus far, I've not had the issue. Last night, it crashed (when I was doing something in Photoshop) I would say just a few minutes in. I also watch videos using the sound from the mixer which are .mkv and somewhat CPU/disk intensive, and haven't once had it crash. So... I'll keep playing with it.

is this mixer just software or do you have stuff connected to a mixing board..

Professional hardware. ;)
Allen & Heath Xone 4D. Pretty sure it's not a driver issue.

I am, however, thinking of getting a cheesy USB sound card or once again trying to get the onboard sound to work. I don't always need sound, and as you can see, it generates a lot of electricity/heat/light. Also, VLC seems to not like the fact that there is not internal sound device. MplayerOSX and my browsers have no problem.

This machine is a Shuttle SG45H7. The onboard card is a Realtek ACL888, but I never got it working. I built this machine to work with Ableton Live so it seemed silly to even bother since I would be using hardware for sound anyway, so I gave up rather early. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back