Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I'm having some random issues. Not sure exactly how to fix them. I'm on Snow Leopard though. Should I just assume I should bump up to Lion before even bothering? I know I have the potential to open up a can of worms, but wondering what the consensus is on the opposite happening.

Cheers

gaijinpunch said:
Hi

I'm having some random issues. Not sure exactly how to fix them. I'm on Snow Leopard though. Should I just assume I should bump up to Lion before even bothering? I know I have the potential to open up a can of worms, but wondering what the consensus is on the opposite happening.

Cheers

Not sure i can help; :?: What are your problems your having with snow leopard :?:
If you just want to go to lion i would advise not to install over snow leopard because your problems may remain,go clean install if anything; :!:

What problems are you talking about with going from snow leopard to lion :?:

You are being pretty vague about everything.. :!:

Hi

Well, wish I could give more information. I'm basically getting the "You need to restart" message intermittently. Doesn't seem to follow any pattern although I can say when the machine is crunching pretty hard it's more likely to occur. That's really all the info I have. Was hoping the System.log would have something, but doesn't seem to. I don't get a nice kernel panic screen to decipher either.

I'm a Linux user so don't mind getting under the hood, but I don't really know where to look in OSX.

Doesn't the Lion install require a Snow Leopard install to upgrade from? Or is there an option to wipe it out?

gaijinpunch said:
Doesn't the Lion install require a Snow Leopard install to upgrade from? Or is there an option to wipe it out?
It requires the Snow Leopard install, but it allows you to choose your hard drive / partition to install to, so, if you have a clean, HFS+ formatted hard drive handy, you can install to it rather than to the Snow Leopard drive.
One thing to note, however. If you do this the kernel is 64-bit by default - not sure if it even has a 32-bit kernel. Seem to remember reading somewhere that it did not. I do know that 32-bit apps like iStat Menus 2.0 do not work with the Lion kernel and you might as well forget about using Adobe Photoshop.
Installing over 10.6, it doesn't change the kernel and you are still using whichever Snow Leopard kernel, 32-bit or 64-bit, you were using before the update, so the apps mentioned above do work.

My lion install from snow leopard but onto fresh drive defaulted to 32 bit..and still is and i have software as going bald mentions photoshop & others and to use such have to reboot & force 64 but my istat menu's works either way ...... :thumbup:

dont know what you can do with no logs though,could try terminal to list probs maybe,make prob occur and go terminal after boot maybe...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi

Are 32-bit apps not compatible under the 64-bit kernel? I would assume there would be some 32-bit emulation... but that's just a total guess. For this machine, right now, I have a single hard drive with a single partition. I'm storing all of my data on an NFS share so wiping it clean is not a big issue.

I'm pretty sure I'm using a 64-bit kernel, but I'm not at the machine now to check.

dont know what you can do with no logs though,could try terminal to list probs maybe,make prob occur and go terminal after boot maybe...

I actually ran a terminal and was tailing System.log to see if any problems were dumped to the system log at the time of crash, but there were none. Making the problem occur, also, isn't so easy. I've watched full videos for hours and nothing... but then other times, poof. Is there no other place to look other than System.log?

gaijinpunch said:
Hi

Are 32-bit apps not compatible under the 64-bit kernel? I would assume there would be some 32-bit emulation... but that's just a total guess. For this machine, right now, I have a single hard drive with a single partition. I'm storing all of my data on an NFS share so wiping it clean is not a big issue.

I'm pretty sure I'm using a 64-bit kernel, but I'm not at the machine now to check.

I actually ran a terminal and was tailing System.log to see if any problems were dumped to the system log at the time of crash, but there were none. Making the problem occur, also, isn't so easy. I've watched full videos for hours and nothing... but then other times, poof. Is there no other place to look other than System.log?

as to apps there are lots that work and many that dont....

system profiler + logs in disk utility and i (think) there is a way in terminal but cant tell you how to do that.i know when you open terminal you press [ esc ] to list all commands
it should list in there maybe.. :thumbup:

system profiler + logs in disk utility and i (think) there is a way in terminal but cant tell you how to do that.i know when you open terminal you press [ esc ] to list all commands

Okay. As per before, I'm a Linux guys, so I'm used to viewing logs with vim, and that's about it. I'll mess around w/ system profiler and the logs in disk utility tonight when I get home. For now, I've given it a rest.

I will be building a similar system in my office here in a few days once I get a power supply for that box. Interested to see if it gives me better performance.

gaijinpunch said:

Okay. As per before, I'm a Linux guys, so I'm used to viewing logs with vim, and that's about it. I'll mess around w/ system profiler and the logs in disk utility tonight when I get home. For now, I've given it a rest.

I will be building a similar system in my office here in a few days once I get a power supply for that box. Interested to see if it gives me better performance.

have a squiz at this when ready..http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/10/dme ... -examples/
:cool: :thumbup: ......................................................................................

gaijinpunch said:
Hi

It isn't a matter of 32-bit vs 64-bit for some apps. It is a matter on Snow Leopard vs Lion in the basic kernel. A Snow Leopard 32-bit / 64-bit (either way works) does OK with Adobe Photoshop. A Lion install over Snow Leopard uses SL kernel and, again, PS works, but there are some quirks,
However, a straight Lion install to a blank HD installs the new Lion kernel and PS just won't work. It isn't just the Hackintosh either - the new MacBook Air and the new Mac Mini that comes loaded with Lion also has problems. Adobe needs to update PS for the new kernel, so they will probably call it a totally new PS and make you pay for it. :p :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back