Contribute
Register

Hard Drive Set up & Best Configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm gonna have pretty much the same setup but a little different.I planned on having 1-SSD Mac boot drive 1-HDD Mac storage/ 1-SSD Windows boot drive 1-HDD Windows storage. Should i just follow the instructions posted by Going Bald or is there a different way? Im just not sure how to order the installs and also move around my home/user directories so that only the files i want end up on each drive. Sorry first time hackintosher here :/.

For your setup, do it basically the same way, but you need a couple of extra steps in there if you want OS X /users folder on the platter drive. If you just want to use it for storage, then just format the platter drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
First, go ahead and install - connect 1 SSD, 1 mouse, 1KB, 1 display. Install an OS (doesn't matter which)
Update OS and add more apps as needed. Shut down.
Disconnect SSD, connect blank SSD. Install other OS, update it, add more apps as needed. Shutdown.

At this point you have both OSs installed, but not quite how you want them. Let's take care of OS X first
Make sure only OS X and the platter drive for OS X storage are the only ones connected. Boot OS X, launch disk utility and format the platter drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), partitioned how you want it. Shut down

Disconnect the OS X drives, connect the Windows SSD and the other platter drive. Boot Windows.
When Windows has booted, if the drive has never been formatted windows will detect this and ask to initialize the drive and format it - let it do so. If the drive has been formatted before and you want to re-format it to NTFS, use the disk manager tool to reformat it. When complete, shutdown.

Connect OS X SSD and HDD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in drive boot order. Save&Exit, continue boot. At the end of the BIOS post you will have a couple of seconds at the Chimera screen to hit a key and select Windows to boot instead of OS X. If you would rather have it stop and wait for you to select an OS, when you run MultiBeast for post install chores, select Instant Menu option.

Windows will never show the OS X drives in its explorer unless you install a 3rd party app.
OS X will show the Windows drives, and you can read them, but you can't write to them unless you use a 3rd party app

My preferred 3rd party app for this is Paragon. There is one for each OS.

For your setup, do it basically the same way, but you need a couple of extra steps in there if you want OS X /users folder on the platter drive. If you just want to use it for storage, then just format the platter drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
First, go ahead and install - connect 1 SSD, 1 mouse, 1KB, 1 display. Install an OS (doesn't matter which)
Update OS and add more apps as needed. Shut down.
Disconnect SSD, connect blank SSD. Install other OS, update it, add more apps as needed. Shutdown.

At this point you have both OSs installed, but not quite how you want them. Let's take care of OS X first
Make sure only OS X and the platter drive for OS X storage are the only ones connected. Boot OS X, launch disk utility and format the platter drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled), partitioned how you want it. Shut down

Disconnect the OS X drives, connect the Windows SSD and the other platter drive. Boot Windows.
When Windows has booted, if the drive has never been formatted windows will detect this and ask to initialize the drive and format it - let it do so. If the drive has been formatted before and you want to re-format it to NTFS, use the disk manager tool to reformat it. When complete, shutdown.

Connect OS X SSD and HDD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in drive boot order. Save&Exit, continue boot. At the end of the BIOS post you will have a couple of seconds at the Chimera screen to hit a key and select Windows to boot instead of OS X. If you would rather have it stop and wait for you to select an OS, when you run MultiBeast for post install chores, select Instant Menu option.

Windows will never show the OS X drives in its explorer unless you install a 3rd party app.
OS X will show the Windows drives, and you can read them, but you can't write to them unless you use a 3rd party app

My preferred 3rd party app for this is Paragon. There is one for each OS.

Awesome this is exactly what I needed to know! One more question though. In Mac OS X how would i setup my SSD and HDD so that my SSD will only have applications saved to it and the HDD has all my storage (I.E. music,movies,pictures etc.) So I can keep my SSD as bare bones possible. How would I do this for Windows as well? Should I clone the SSDs of each OS to their respective HDD and make bootable copies of the OS with Carbon Copy Cloner or just leave the HDD formatted like you said earlier?

Awesome this is exactly what I needed to know! One more question though. In Mac OS X how would i setup my SSD and HDD so that my SSD will only have applications saved to it and the HDD has all my storage (I.E. music,movies,pictures etc.) So I can keep my SSD as bare bones possible. How would I do this for Windows as well? Should I clone the SSDs of each OS to their respective HDD and make bootable copies of the OS with Carbon Copy Cloner or just leave the HDD formatted like you said earlier?

For OS X, moving your user files to the platter drive is easy - http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/moving-os-x-users-to-separate-partition.html

For Windows, although you can move Users and application data to the platter drive, I do no recommend it - it is a complicated process and you really need to know what you are doing.
What you can do instead is create folders for My Documents, My Music etc. on the platter drive. Say the platter drive is identified a D: and you create a folder with your username with subfolders for My Documents, My Music, etc. You want to make these folders default for your user.
Click on Libraries tab in the command bar to open windows explorer. On the left pane you will see a section headed by Libraries. Under Libraries are shortcuts to the My Documents. My Music, etc. folders located in c:\Users\your name
Right click on the shortcut, select properties and change the path to the folder you created on the D: drive.
Next, you need to make the D:\your user\My whatever folder the default place to save the file type for each app you use. This is done within the app and any Windows user should know how to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back