Contribute
Register

[Guide] Mountain Lion Installation for Asus Vivobook S200, X202, S400...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated the guide.
Again it's optional. I don't delete them though, since I don't have any issue.
The guide is not perfect, I'll update it if something is not clear or someone finds something.
I haven't really tested CPU speed steps, HDMI, card reader, VGA.

I was just writing something there since it was really late and will update later (4am or so :) ).
I was really mad at myself actually because I forgot to save what I wrote.
After I have written everything, I submitted it, and it asked me to login :(. So everything was gone. I had to rewrite almost everything.

BTW, I gave my little sis the laptop, so I might not be able to help much later on with new update (OS X 10.9?).
I am thinking of getting the Yoga 13 at Lenovo outlet when it's on sale.

That sucks that you had to retype it all. :( I feel your pain, since that has happened to me more times than I would like to admit.

Thank you again for taking the time to write all of this for us. I reinstalled OS X 10.8.4 on my ASUS VivoBook S200E with BIOS 206 over the past few days and it is now working well so far without any flashing and flickering under Safari like I mentioned in the other thread.

I ran into some trouble getting Windows 8 and OS X to dual boot on my Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD though. It took me a long time to figure out, since I kept having to install Windows 8 again and again to see if it worked. I finally realized that my EFI partition was only around 100MB when Windows 8 created it and OS X requires it to be at least 200MB. I am surprised you didn't run into this when installing on your system, but maybe you have a bigger drive and Windows 8 allocated more space to the EFI partition. I kept getting a message that said something like "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" when trying to erase the OS X partition to switch it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

I searched and searched and finally ran across this page MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation. I couldn't read half of it, but it lead me down the 200MB EFI path. This lead me to the following web pages that helped me create a larger EFI partition first before installing Windows 8 and OS X:

- Dual-booting Windows 8 and Mountain Lion natively using EFI
- [GUIDE] How To Install Clover 2 Dual-Boot Solution on GA-Z77N-WIFI with Fusion Drive

My EFI drive ended up being "disk0s1" instead of "disk0s2" like in your guide. I didn't do the step in the second guide that says to format it FAT32 and name it EFI, so it is called "NO NAME" when I load it via "EFI Tools Clover EN.app" instead of "EFI". I tried renaming it in OS X, but it doesn't seem to let me. Oh well, it is working and I don't see it anyways.

After this and I was actually able to still boot Windows 8 using the Microsoft EFI and OS X using the Clover EFI files, since they both remained on the EFI drive I created before installing the operating systems. I ended up making the C:\EFI folder on the Windows 8 partition and removed the "Microsoft" folder from the EFI partition, since I was seeing both at the Clover boot screen. They would both work, but I figured I would keep it the way you mentioned in the guide and remove the other.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

managed to get clover working. missed the 64mb graphic setting for bios. thanks harry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,940
My macbook only touch on 1/4 screen. How I can fix it Harry?

Did you calibrate the touch screen?
There are settings for the touch screen under System Preferences.
Go to "Calibration"
Set number of points to "25"
Click "Calibrate".
I'll update the guide.

hi harry, quick question

will this work with a p987 vivobook, or just the i3 one.

thanks
r

I don't think it will work.
I believe P987 has Intel HD graphic that is based on HD 2000. So it's not even HD 2000.
As I know some make it work with HD 2000 or HD2500, but it's just experimental.

That sucks that you had to retype it all. :( I feel your pain, since that has happened to me more times than I would like to admit.

Thank you again for taking the time to write all of this for us. I reinstalled OS X 10.8.4 on my ASUS VivoBook S200E with BIOS 206 over the past few days and it is now working well so far without any flashing and flickering under Safari like I mentioned in the other thread.

I ran into some trouble getting Windows 8 and OS X to dual boot on my Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD though. It took me a long time to figure out, since I kept having to install Windows 8 again and again to see if it worked. I finally realized that my EFI partition was only around 100MB when Windows 8 created it and OS X requires it to be at least 200MB. I am surprised you didn't run into this when installing on your system, but maybe you have a bigger drive and Windows 8 allocated more space to the EFI partition. I kept getting a message that said something like "MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation" when trying to erase the OS X partition to switch it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

I searched and searched and finally ran across this page MediaKit reports not enough space on device for requested operation. I couldn't read half of it, but it lead me down the 200MB EFI path. This lead me to the following web pages that helped me create a larger EFI partition first before installing Windows 8 and OS X:

- Dual-booting Windows 8 and Mountain Lion natively using EFI
- [GUIDE] How To Install Clover 2 Dual-Boot Solution on GA-Z77N-WIFI with Fusion Drive

My EFI drive ended up being "disk0s1" instead of "disk0s2" like in your guide. I didn't do the step in the second guide that says to format it FAT32 and name it EFI, so it is called "NO NAME" when I load it via "EFI Tools Clover EN.app" instead of "EFI". I tried renaming it in OS X, but it doesn't seem to let me. Oh well, it is working and I don't see it anyways.

After this and I was actually able to still boot Windows 8 using the Microsoft EFI and OS X using the Clover EFI files, since they both remained on the EFI drive I created before installing the operating systems. I ended up making the C:\EFI folder on the Windows 8 partition and removed the "Microsoft" folder from the EFI partition, since I was seeing both at the Clover boot screen. They would both work, but I figured I would keep it the way you mentioned in the guide and remove the other.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

I don't have this issue that you have. I remember one person in the old thread has similar problem. I hope he reads your post. He has been booting from his flash USB only. I added your post to the guide in case someone has the same problem.
I have the Samsung 8390 128Gb.
When I format the partition for OS X, it automatically generates the Mac EFI partition. I didn't have to do anything.
I am wondering if you should create the OS X partition with Disk Utility instead of making the partition using Windows 8 installation disc.
When you hit the "g" option with the EFI app, it only mount the partition, it doesn't format it.

Regarding the Microsoft EFI boot, for the new clover version. You can leave it anywhere in /EFI/Microsoft, clover will work with it.
So you don't have to put in "C". The reason I suggested to put it there so that you can name the partition to whatever name you want separating from OS X and EFI partitions and boot from there.

Can anyone with dual boot try this? This might fix the touch pad issue when restarting from Windows 8.
Copying ApplePS2Controller.kext and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8/
Delete ApplePS2Controller.kext and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext under /System/Library/Extensions/
Run Kext Utility app.
Make sure InjectKexts /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist is set to true (or you can hit space and choose boot WithKexts during boot)
Shut down laptop.
Start laptop and boot into Windows 8
Restart Windows 8 (Don't shut down) and boot into OS X.
Is the touch pad working well under OS X?
I think injecting kexts during boot should fix this issue.
Let me know.

harry, thanks for the answer, wishing id got the i3 now!

Has anyone tried playing downloaded movies or trailers in iTunes 11.0.4?

When try playing a trailer I downloaded instead of streaming it, I only see a black screen with no sound, but the movie controls say the movie is playing. I am wondering if this is something related to DRM and maybe not having a real serial number or some other problem???

Downloaded music plays fine in iTunes.

I saw a few people online complaining about this and they switched to playing iTunes in 32-bit mode, but that didn't work for me. Another option is to downgrade to iTunes 10.7, but I don't really want to do that unless there is no other choice. I guess I could alway watch iTunes stuff in Windows 8 by rebooting. :p

Any ideas?

=== UPDATE - 08/04/2013 ===

Ignore my questions above about downloaded movies not playing in iTunes 11.0.4.

The movie trailers I chose to download to test on my S200E were the following:

- "Blue Exorcist: The Movie - Trailer (HD 480p)"
- "Blue Exorcist: The Movie - Trailer (HD 1080p)"
- "2 Guns - Trailer (HD 480p)"

All of the above showed the black screen with no audio.

Today I tried playing those same videos on my Sandy Bridge desktop Hackintosh and the "Blue Exorcist" ones didn't work, but the "2 Guns" one worked fine. I then tried the same movies on my wife's real MacBook Air and the "Blue Exorcist" didn't work and "2 Guns" did. Then I downloaded "2 Guns" again on my ASUS S200E and it worked.

I also downloaded trailer the following trailers today to all three system (MacBook Air, Desktop Hackintosh, and S200E) and they worked on all of them:

- "The Wolverine"
- "Turbo"
- "Despicable Me 2"
- "G.I. Joe: Retaliation"
- "Red 2"

I downloaded "2 Guns - Trailer (HD 480p)" again today on my S200E and it played fine. So, I don't think there is any problem with the ASUS VivoBook S200E playing iTunes 11.0.4 downloaded movies. It was just dumb luck that I happened to try downloading two movie trailers where one doesn't even work on a real Mac and the other must've downloaded wrong and didn't play until I re-downloaded it. ARGH!!!

You need to sign up for a free account. Login first, and then you can download the attachment.

i did that. but seems my access won't allow me.
i could see i was logged in. i'll check with admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back