Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jerivalu!

I just completed a successful 10.11.4 install with the below hardware, straight off the April 2016 buyers guide:
Z170a-UD5 (not the TH version)
gtx960
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
TP Link wireless card
Samsung 850 (for OSX)
I also added a Samsung 950 to the build to dual boot Windows

I had tried two prior installs on this hardware which ended up with several issues. I wiped the drive and the third time was the charm, following this guide to the letter.

With the above steps, my USB ports are all working (3.1 only tested with a mouse), sound is working, iMessage working, everything seems to be working very smoothlyl.

The below steps were taken to resolve a couple of other problems.

Problem #1: 2x8GB RAM was being recognized as 2x4GB
Solution:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/e...-ddr4-only-recognised-as-2x8-gb-ddr-4.179933/

Problem #2: Nvidia driver installation issues; black screen after boot
Solution:
Method 1 from this post - http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Problem #3: Displayport (HDMI) audio not working
Solution:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.143760/

Outstanding problems:
I'm having trouble dual booting. I had first installed Windows 10 UEFI to a Samsung 950 m.2 NVMe. Clover is not recognizing this drive. The only way that I can boot into Windows is by going into BIOS and selecting the 950 from the Save & Exit screen; the 950 is not being recognized as a bootable drive or found anywhere else in BIOS since applying the above BIOS settings.

Also I'm not sure if I'm getting full acceleration from the GTX960. Not much of an issue at this point but I may look into this later.

I'm very stoked to get this working, though it was more challenging than anticipated to work through the bugs with my noob understanding of coding and terms like "kext" . Good stuff to learn though and big thanks to TonyMacx86.com and to Jerivalu for this post for making this possible. One of my failed prior attempts was trying to follow the ammulder guide for the similar but different Z170a board (I figured they were close so it would work but it didn't - USB ports were screwed up etc.). One thing I would recommend for noobs looking to make it as easy as possible is to find a current guide using the exact MOBO/CPU/GPU (if you are purchasing new) and then follow it to the "T".

Last edited:
How do you get the imessge working?

Thanks Jerivalu!

I just completed a successful 10.11.4 install with the below hardware, straight off the April 2016 buyers guide:
Z170a-UD5 (not the TH version)
gtx960
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
TP Link wireless card
Samsung 850 (for OSX)
I also added a Samsung 950 to the build to dual boot Windows

I had tried two prior installs on this hardware which ended up with several issues. I wiped the drive and the third time was the charm, following this guide to the letter.

With the above steps, my USB ports are all working (3.1 only tested with a mouse), sound is working, iMessage working, everything seems to be working very smoothlyl.

The below steps were taken to resolve a couple of other problems.

Problem #1: 2x8GB RAM was being recognized as 2x4GB
Solution:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/e...-ddr4-only-recognised-as-2x8-gb-ddr-4.179933/

Problem #2: Nvidia driver installation issues; black screen after boot
Solution:
Method 1 from this post - http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Problem #3: Displayport (HDMI) audio not working
Solution:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.143760/

Outstanding problems:
I'm having trouble dual booting. I had first installed Windows 10 UEFI to a Samsung 950 m.2 NVMe. Clover is not recognizing this drive. The only way that I can boot into Windows is by going into BIOS and selecting the 950 from the Save & Exit screen; the 950 is not being recognized as a bootable drive or found anywhere else in BIOS since applying the above BIOS settings.

Also I'm not sure if I'm getting full acceleration from the GTX960. Not much of an issue at this point but I may look into this later.

I'm very stoked to get this working, though it was more challenging than anticipated to work through the bugs with my noob understanding of coding and terms like "kext" . Good stuff to learn though and big thanks to TonyMacx86.com and to Jerivalu for this post for making this possible. One of my failed prior attempts was trying to follow the ammulder guide for the similar but different Z170a board (I figured they were close so it would work but it didn't - USB ports were screwed up etc.). One thing I would recommend for noobs looking to make it as easy as possible is to find a current guide using the exact MOBO/CPU/GPU (if you are purchasing new) and then follow it to the "T".

For your dual boot problem: Did you load the ntfs driver using clover config? that should fix it

How do you get the imessge working?

I followed ammulder's very clear instructions on this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

1. Otherwise if you do want iCloud/iMessage/etc., then you must further customize config.plist. For more details on this process see How to Fix iMessage.
    1. Leave Clover Configurator on the SMBIOS screen. Open Terminal.app and run "uuidgen". Paste the output in the SmUUID field in Clover Configurator (next to the Serial Number).
    2. Copy the value in the Serial Number field
    3. Go to the RtVariables screen on the left
    4. Paste your serial number into the MLB field, and then:
      • For an Nvidia graphics / MacPro3,1 configuration, add 2 random characters or digits to the end, to make 13 characters total.
      • For an integrated graphics / iMac17,1 configuration, add 5 random characters or digits to the end, to make 17 characters total.
    5. Enter a value for the ROM field. If you will use an Ethernet port on the machine, you can select "UseMacAddr0" from the drop-down. Otherwise, enter 12 random hexadecimal digits.
    6. File/Save config.plist and Quit Clover Configurator.

For your dual boot problem: Did you load the ntfs driver using clover config? that should fix it

Thanks Jerivalu,

I looked into this further last night and found that I had accidentally installed Windows 10 on the Samsung 950 as Legacy boot...duh.....

I tried installing the NTFS driver and it didn't seem to help. I get stuck in the blinking cursor screen when I try to boot Windows from Clover by clicking on the NTFS option (there are actually 2 of them, neither works).

Strangely enough it is working, though. When I press the Power Off option in Clover, it boots into Windows.

So it's working well enough to dual boot. Though I'm concerned I may be losing the performance benefits of the 950 by booting Legacy. I suppose I may wipe and do a fresh install as NTFS sometime soon. Only thing is that I cannot follow your guide to format the 950 in OS X as the 950 is not recognized in Disk Utility. Any ideas on how to best re-install Win 10 on the 950?

Thanks Jerivalu,

I looked into this further last night and found that I had accidentally installed Windows 10 on the Samsung 950 as Legacy boot...duh.....

I tried installing the NTFS driver and it didn't seem to help. I get stuck in the blinking cursor screen when I try to boot Windows from Clover by clicking on the NTFS option (there are actually 2 of them, neither works).

Strangely enough it is working, though. When I press the Power Off option in Clover, it boots into Windows.

So it's working well enough to dual boot. Though I'm concerned I may be losing the performance benefits of the 950 by booting Legacy. I suppose I may wipe and do a fresh install as NTFS sometime soon. Only thing is that I cannot follow your guide to format the 950 in OS X as the 950 is not recognized in Disk Utility. Any ideas on how to best re-install Win 10 on the 950?
So the reason that you format the drive in OSX to fat32/GUID is so it forces windows 10 to install in UEFI mode and not legacy. Basically when you get to the win 10 install screen you just delete the fat32 partition you created in OSX and then the install will work. If I were you I would wipe your windows drive and start again. Make sure to unplug your OSX drive before you decide to install win 10 so it doesn't mess up your bootloader.

Here's a quick breakdown of what I would do:
  1. Format the windows drive using disk utility in OSX- FAT32 partition with GUID bootloader
  2. shut down your system completely
  3. unplug your OSX and any other hard drives
  4. boot up into your windows install method (USB or disc or whatever you use)
  5. Windows will ask where you want it installed, you'll have to delete the current fat32 partition you created in osx to continue
  6. should be good from here

I've followed much of this. My 6 USB3 ports (2 front, 4 rear) work with a thumb drive I installed. 2 of my 4 USB 2 ports on the back work with the card. The other 2 USB2 ports are in use by the keyboard/mouse.

iMessage doesn't work, but i haven't downloaded all the tools yet to get it working. I'm not sure how important it is, since I have a Macbook Pro that I can just use it on if necessary in addition to my phone/iPad.

The USB 3.1 ports on the back I don't know if they work. They don't show up in the System Report. The converter i bought for 3.1 to DVI didn't work (but since Thunderbolt doesn't show up either, it may be related). I don't have a regular type C USB converter to try.

I have some sleep issues, so I told the system not to let the computer to go to sleep. I generally didn't let my old Mac Pro go to sleep either.

The only other issue I've seen so far is running Quicken 2015 in Crossover Mac. The main window won't display. I wonder if it is a graphic driver issue.

I haven't decided yet whether to just buy a 4K monitor, and go with 1 display (at least until I can get a display through display port), or buy a video card (leaning toward 970) that has it's own DP ports on it. I didn't worry about it on my Mac Pro since it just came with the 8800GT, and it never failed me.

Hi! Thunderbolt never shows up as thunderbolt.... You have to install Windows drivers first I northern to get the controller initialized.... And then connect some thunderbolt device and try it...
Please if anybody can try this, please let us know!
Tia.

Jerivalu’s Editing Build: Fresh 10.11.4, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530 Integrated GFX, Dual Boot OSX/WIN10

full

Components
  • Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard (bios F5)
  • Intel 6700k chip (overclocked)
  • Corsair H100i v2 water cooling
  • G.SKILL 32GB (4 x 8GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4 - 25600 3200MHz Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZ
  • 2x SanDisk SADSSDHII480 480GB Ultra II Internal Solid State Drive (one for osx, one for win 10)
  • HGST 4TB Deskstar 3.5" SATA III Internal Desktop Hard Drive
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 650W
  • Fractal Design Define R5 FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK Black Computer Case
  • StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter PEX1394B3
  • LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Super Multi WH12LS30
  • Sabrent USB 3.0 Super Speed 74-In-1 3.5-Inch Internal Flash Media Card Reader/writer with USB 3.0 Port (CR-UIN3)
  • *note I eventually installed a 280x sapphire toxic 3gb after everything was working because it works OOB and I wanted to install this system with no card for a challenge

Comments
I haven't seen a guide posted for this board so I wanted to help out those who need it! I use this beast for video editing and it has been a dream so far. I wanted to be able to dual boot win10 and osx so I cover that in this guide. I run my system at overclocked at 4.5ghz for stable day-to-day use with low temps (under 30C) and voltage (for my chip it was 1.31 v-core vs 1.36 needed @4.6ghz). Please don't overclock unless you know what you are doing! I will keep this guide updated~ Enjoy

Installation
UEFI Bios Settings (version f5)

1. Enter Bios with DEL key
  2. Load Optimized Defaults in the Save&Exit tab
  3. Here are my settings

10.11.4 Fresh Install
  1. Use a black USB port in on the back of your motherboard to install OS X using your unibeast USB device
  2. Boot to the device by hitting the F12 key
  3. Follow the install guide on how to format/start the osx install
  4. After installing 10.11.4, the install WILL crash if you do not choose that the computer does not connect to the internet when it asks you for your internet settings (it will work later just do this for now)
  5. After OSX installs make sure to boot from your usb device again and then proceed to boot from your hard drive on the clover select screen
  6. Launch System Preferences then choose Security & Privacy > General > Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere
  7. Open Multibeast and use the following MultiBeast 8.2 settings
    • Quick Start > UEFI Boot mode
    • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > 100 series audio
    • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150
    • Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d0
    • Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit
    • Customize > Graphics Config > Intel HD 530
    • Customize > System Definition > Imac > Imac 17,1
  8. Click Build > Install and let it complete
  9. Shut down your computer and unplug the USB drive
  10. Start your computer back up and you should be able to boot into OSX
  11. Install SSDT file to match your chip (in my case 6700k) for power savings options/correct clock speeds to your EFI folder The bottom of this post shows how and links the file in the "Final Power Saving Setup" section
  12. To get iMessage working correctly please consult the imessages guide on this site and set your UUID in clover config etc

Installing Windows 10
  1. In OSX format the Windows drive to GUID boot type in a single FAT partition using disk utility (This is IMPORTANT to make sure windows installs properly as UEFI and not legacy)
  2. Shut down your computer
  3. Unplug your OSX drive (and all other storage drives)
  4. To install Windows 10, boot to your install USB/DVD
  5. You'll have to have windows installer delete the current FAT formatted drive to continue
  6. After installing, when in windows, make sure to NOT install the Realtek audio drivers for the motherboard! This will make it so your rear audio port will not output sound in OSX!
  7. Shut down windows and plug in your OS X drive/storage drives and boot into OS X
  8. In OSX, open Clover Configurator and mount your EFI drive
  9. On the sidebar, Go to TOOLS> Install Drivers > click NTFS UEFI (bottom rightish corner)
  10. Reboot and you should be able to choose your windows 10 or OSX drive to boot in clover
  11. To fix windows 10 time/clock
    • open regedit.exe
    • navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
    • Right click anywhere in the right pane and hit New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
    • Name it RealTimeIsUniversal, then double click on it and give it a value of 1
    • Close regedit
    • Restart into OSX and then restart back to windows and it should be fixed from now on
Notes
What works

• USB3- front, rear, adapters, etc
  • overclocking/power management with SSDT
  • ram full speed OOB
  • Firewire card OOB
  • Bluray burner
  • integrated graphics acceleration, shows full 1536mb memory
  • networking
  • sound- front, rear
  • 74-In-1 USB3 media reader
  • Appstore
  • Itunes
  • Sapphire 280x Toxic OOB
What doesn't work
  • Sleep
  • Thunderbolt (says no hardware in system info)

Benchmarks:
Geekbench
3 64bit @4.6ghz: 5350/21147

Geekbench 3 64bit @4.5ghz: 5288/20630

Cinebench (with 280x)

Luxmark 3.1 (with 280x)

BruceX (with 280x): 12secs

Updates
5/3/16: Cleaned up guide and fixed pictures, added how to fix windows time

Nice guide.. Just what I needed to compare with my own system..
I mapped out the USB ports, so If anyone wants to try I added the files.

@jerivalu what is you clock settings, and is your fans running faster at use, and slow at idle?

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-GA-Z170X-UD5-TH.aml
    966 bytes · Views: 303
  • SSDT-USB-GA-Z170X-UD5-TH.dsl
    6.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice guide.. Just what I needed to compare with my own system..
I mapped out the USB ports, so If anyone wants to try I added the files.

@jerivalu what is you clock settings, and is your fans running faster at use, and slow at idle?
My CPU fans connected to the CPU fan connector rev up and down as expected. Does your machine shutdown properly, eg no reboot immediately after?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back