Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the builtin HD530 GPU, yes. This means no sleep, and maybe no proper shutdown.
Graphics are OK, except for the above mentioned issues. Even Lightroom and (light use of) Photoshop are fine.

I actually got this build in a usable state fairly quickly, I did my homework. I kind of expect the Thunderbolt ports to work in a couple of months, with some restrictions I can live with.

One thing that seems to be better with this build compared to my old Z68xp is the fact that USB works more reliably. I used to have to plug/unplug my keyboard etc on a regular basis to get them working. I hardly ever have to do this now.

I don't have Windows installed, there's no reason. But if Apple tightens their security, I will move over to W10 country reluctantly.

Hey all sorry work has been crazy lately-

So I received my startech thunderbolt 3 -> TB2 adapter today (only 65 bucks on b+h), but currently I don't have any devices to test it with :p I'm trying to borrow a drive from a friend asap.

Hey all sorry work has been crazy lately-

So I received my startech thunderbolt 3 -> TB2 adapter today (only 65 bucks on b+h), but currently I don't have any devices to test it with :p I'm trying to borrow a drive from a friend asap.
Can't wait to see how it goes. I have a Black Magic Mini Monitor I can send you way if you don't end up finding a drive.

I guess it will work after waking up the TB drivers in windows. No hot swapping though, TB devices will have to be connected at boot. All wishful thinking, of course.
Connectivity may improve with the introduction of new Mac models. Unfortunately, TB is not very important for most hackers, hence no/slow development

For those who have the annoying shutdown/auto-restart problem, try the Fix Shutdown Clover flag in combination with ErP Enable in your BIOS.
I found this on InsanelyMac, and it worked for me !

For those who have the annoying shutdown/auto-restart problem, try the Fix Shutdown Clover flag in combination with ErP Enable in your BIOS.
Didn't work for me (I still have my watercooler plugged in my motherboard via USB though) but I'll add it in the guide for people to try thanks!

Merde !
I'm running the very last clover revision (3556), maybe there's a connection...
Anyway, here's the thread on InsanelyMac.

Edit: By the way, I did not need the SlpSmiAtWake flag mentioned in the post.

Last edited:
Merde !
I'm running the very last clover revision (3556), maybe there's a connection...
Anyway, here's the thread on InsanelyMac.
Ahh I'll upgrade clover tonight after work and see if that fixes it! Thanks for the info!

Thanks but not making a difference here. Strange.

Not for me on Z170X-UD5-TH/HD530 graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back