Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last edited:
DP/HDMI Audio: Not working on Skylake with integrated graphics currently
Issue is the HD540 HDMI audio controller (device_id: 2809, same as HD530) is not recognized by OS X since 10.11.2. Confirm? Ideas?

Great guide.

Last edited:
Issue is the HD540 HDMI audio controller (device_id: 2809, same as HD530) is not recognized by OS X since 10.11.2. Confirm? Ideas?

Great guide.

No 8086:2809 on PCI here. HDEF (originally HDAS) is 8086:9d70.

I'll do some poking around in Windows and Linux when I get a chance... Haven't installed either of those on this NUC yet.

If it is just a device-id not matching something which the kext expects, FakePCIID can handle that...

Edit: The 8086:2809 is not a device-id. It is the codec id of the HDMI/DP audio codec. There are definitely some special cases in AppleHDA for that (2807/2808), but nothing for 2809. Probably just not implemented, but I can try some patches.

Last edited:
Before settling on the Samsung SM951 AHCI, I tried a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD. Although it works with NVMeGeneric.kext, there are too many issues to recommend NVMe at this point. Use an AHCI M.2 or SATA M.2 SSD.
What are those issues ?
I've been using the Samsung 950 pro and I'm not aware of any issues...

What are the benefits from this guide over the one from ammulder ?
My only concern with the NUC6 at this moment is that I can't use dual monitors. It's possible when you disable Apple's Graphics Device policy, but then sleep isn't working anymore + issues with usb ports.

What are those issues ?
I've been using the Samsung 950 pro and I'm not aware of any issues...

Kernel panic (invisible) causes restart on shutdown instead of shutdown (also, the panic happens on restart too, but since you're expecting a restart, you don't notice).

Strange delays post-sleep sometimes...

Drive shows as external (I made a patch for that one -- it is in the config.plist here)

The NVMeGeneric.kext does not work as distributed when installed to /Library/Extensions (or /S/L/E). This can be fixed with a patch:

Code:
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Add :OSBundleRequired string" NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :OSBundleRequired Root" NVMeGeneric.kext/Contents/Info.plist

What are the benefits from this guide over the one from ammulder ?

I didn't look at his guide in detail...

But this one...
- fixes some problems (poor audio quality) I noticed with headphones (external mic still not working, but I plan to look at it)
- optimized USB
- implements IGPU PM
- audio with only zml.zlib files (no patched AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext content)

My only concern with the NUC6 at this moment is that I can't use dual monitors. It's possible when you disable Apple's Graphics Device policy,

I have an idea of what you mean here, but ... Link please.

Kernel panic (invisible) causes restart on shutdown instead of shutdown (also, the panic happens on restart too, but since you're expecting a restart, you don't notice).

Strange delays post-sleep sometimes...

Drive shows as external (I made a patch for that one -- it is in the config.plist here)
hmm, didn't know those issues were caused by the nvme ssd. These issues do occur with my setup indeed.

hmm, didn't know those issues were caused by the nvme ssd. These issues do occur with my setup indeed.

They all go away with SM951 AHCI and native AHCI drivers...

HD530 uses 2809, present in AppleHDAController.

It is there, but not in AppleHDA.

And now that I've done some more testing, even on-board ALC283 audio on this machine is a complete mess. Short blips work (such as the feedback from changing the volume), but sustained audio playback sputters and stops after only a couple of seconds (or less).

Skylake + OS X == Not ready for prime time.

Edit: Most onboard audio problems are now fixed. They were caused by new code introduced in Clover.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back