Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Kaby Lake NUC7 using Clover UEFI (NUC7i7BNH, NUC7i5BNK, NUC7i3BNH, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice guide! I got my nuc7 (i5 model) working great based on this. Obviously WiFi and BT don't work but a cheap USB dongle fixed BT for me. The last problem I have is that iTunes won't play DHCP content, which I haven't been able to find a workaround for. I followed various guides for things like Shiki but iTunes still pops up a DHCP error if I try and play any HD movies I purchased from Apple. I don't suppose you've had any luck here or know of things I could try?

Nice guide! I got my nuc7 (i5 model) working great based on this. Obviously WiFi and BT don't work but a cheap USB dongle fixed BT for me. The last problem I have is that iTunes won't play DHCP content, which I haven't been able to find a workaround for. I followed various guides for things like Shiki but iTunes still pops up a DHCP error if I try and play any HD movies I purchased from Apple. I don't suppose you've had any luck here or know of things I could try?

Shiki.kext + Lilu.kext is supposed to solve the DRM problem.
I don't use DRM protected content, so it is not an issue for me...

How does this gen compare to the previous in terms of fan noise? Would you consider it a worthwhile purchase over skylake?

How does this gen compare to the previous in terms of fan noise? Would you consider it a worthwhile purchase over skylake?

I think it is similar... similar fan design, so under similar loads, similar noise levels.
A quieter system would require a form factor redesign.

At least graphics works now:

View attachment 255113

At first I noticed in the clover options during booting that inject intel was not checked. When I checked it then intel graphics was detected and used. Inspection of the config.plist showed this line:

https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/config_nuc7.plist#L170

When set to </true> graphics is loaded just fine.

For the record here are the two versions of clover config that I tried. clover-notworking1.zip is the one with the github version of config.plist and my NVMe .aml and clover-notworking2.zip is the one with my patched version of your SSDT. Both result in a non-booting system with the progress-bar going half-way through and then rebooting.

Injection of IGPU properties is done in SSDT-NUC7.aml, not config.plist.
If you have an issue, you need to provide "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1.

You should not be modifying SSDT-NUC7.aml for your NVMe. Put your NVMe injects in a separate SSDT (typically SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml), and leave SSDT-NUC7.aml as per guide.

If you get a reboot during boot it is likely due to an incomplete (at that point) AppleHDA setup. You should comment out the "hda-gfx" injection (from SSDT-IGPU.dsl) as is mentioned in post #1 temporarily... until you can boot, rebuild cache, then you should be able to re-enable "hda-gfx" injection once the audio kexts are loading as expected.

Crash due to HDMI/DP audio "hda-gfx" with an incomplete/un-patched AppleHDA setup is fairly common...

Last edited:
Injection of IGPU properties is done in SSDT-NUC7.aml, not config.plist.
If you have an issue, you need to provide "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1.

You should not be modifying SSDT-NUC7.aml for your NVMe. Put your NVMe injects in a separate SSDT (typically SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml), and leave SSDT-NUC7.aml as per guide.

If you get a reboot during boot it is likely due to an incomplete (at that point) AppleHDA setup. You should comment out the "hda-gfx" injection (from SSDT-IGPU.dsl) as is mentioned in post #1 temporarily... until you can boot, rebuild cache, then you should be able to re-enable "hda-gfx" injection once the audio kexts are loading as expected.

Crash due to HDMI/DP audio "hda-gfx" with an incomplete/un-patched AppleHDA setup is fairly common...

FYI: I just did a complete start to finish install following the guide in post #1 without any issue.

Hey, appreciate for your sharing.
I have the same device of NUC7i7BNH, with intel SSD 600P(NVMe). I have pre-installed win10 and shrink my current windows volume to free up volume for sierra 10.12.4.
As a new bee, I read through your steps many times to make sure everything is right. But I am still confused about the following article you wrote 3 years before.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
I got stuck in these steps:
1. Preparing essential kexts, I think I need to download the latest "builds" version in https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/, right?
Apart from adding IntelMausiEthernet.kext to the Clover/kexts/Other folder, Are GenericUSBXHCI.kext, FakeSMC.kext still necessary?
2. Choosing a config.plist, I am using a monitor with 1920x1080 pixels, with HDMI connection. And you make notes to use config_install_nuc7.plist instead. I wonder if the new adaption works well with different monitors, e.g. to use 1366x768, 1600x900, or even 4K!
3. DVMT-prealloc on Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby Lake & Note regarding CPU power management and SSDTs , I feel hard to understand these two steps.

Also, I use a NVMe SSD as mentioned in the beginning, It seems that I have to do a lot of work according to your latest work "using the class-code spoof along with HackrNVMeFamily". Are there something special I should pay attention to the intel SSD 600P?
As I don't have these in depth knowledge as you have, Any suggestion is really helpful and appreciated @_@

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
I got stuck in these steps:
1. Preparing essential kexts, I think I need to download the latest "builds" version in https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/, right?
Apart from adding IntelMausiEthernet.kext to the Clover/kexts/Other folder, Are GenericUSBXHCI.kext, FakeSMC.kext still necessary?

Yes. As per guide, links provided in github README.

2. Choosing a config.plist, I am using a monitor with 1920x1080 pixels, with HDMI connection. And you make notes to use config_install_nuc7.plist instead. I wonder if the new adaption works well with different monitors, e.g. to use 1366x768, 1600x900, or even 4K!

As per guide, use config_install_nuc7.plist.

3. DVMT-prealloc on Broadwell/Skylake/Kaby Lake & Note regarding CPU power management and SSDTs , I feel hard to understand these two steps.

No need to follow those steps.
As per guide in post #1, you will set DVMT-prealloc to 64mb or 128mb.

Also, I use a NVMe SSD as mentioned in the beginning, It seems that I have to do a lot of work according to your latest work "using the class-code spoof along with HackrNVMeFamily". Are there something special I should pay attention to the intel SSD 600P?

As per HackrNVMe guide, determine ACPI path in Windows.
Construct SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml.
Generate HackrNVMe with --spoof.
The _DSM->XDSM patch is already present in the config plists.
Make sure you include it in Clover/kexts/Other on your EFI on USB and SSD.
(install_downloads.sh will automatically install it to the system volume during post-install)

Hello, RehabMan~
With your guidance, I have made a progress to install the latest Mac os Sierra 10.12.5, despite some of problems:
1. As I have SSD(NVMe), boot via Clover which has win10 and an earilier broken version of Mac 10.12.4. After copy the SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml to /clover/ACPI/patched/ and HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_5.kext to /kexts/Other and config.plist(which was renamed by your config_install_nuc7.plist I suppose the Disk Utility can recognize the earlier macOS partition in the SSD. However, it failed to do it no matter whether I do the special injection or not.

that is add the following lines to SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml.
"compatible", Buffer() { "pci144d,a801" },
"IOName", "pci144d,a801",
"name", Buffer() { "pci144d,a801" },
But luckily, I can see the HDD disk in the Disk Utility, so I erased it and installed Sierra on HDD.

2. After finished the PHASE2
When I chose the network to connect (Using DHCP) and connect, the mac just broke down and I can't arrive at the os X desktop.
So I uncheck this option and process without network. It just worked.

3. Then I tried to the Post Installation to fix the drivers.
By using a USB to ethernet hub, I could have access to the Internet.
I cloned your git repository and downloaded all the fixing tools and makefile
Then error happened:
iasl -vw 2095 -vw 2008 -p build/SSDT-NUC5.aml SSDT-NUC5.dsl\
make: iasl: No such file or directory\
make: *** [build/SSDT-NUC5.aml] Error 1\
}
So I can;t process anymore. Could it be possible that I missed to add some .aml files to your repository?
SOS~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back