Contribute
Register

Guide - Fusion Drive using tonymacx86 Tools & Chimera

Awesome post followed it and was able to get it working on the first try. I was able to clone my existing OSX drive to a blank one and clone it back to the fusion drive with no problems.

Thanks for this - just bought a 256 MB Crucial M4. I'll be swapping out my 128 MB SSD in my MBP and using it for a fusion drive.

Great article.
Very well explained :clap:
This is the best tutorial I have I have seen in my two years of hackingtoshing.
Thanks you for your time.

Tempting me into going out a building a new system.:mrgreen:
Mac

The speed tests don't match the benefits of the potential loss. Look at minute 5 or so and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_odnNpv-FQ

Everyone that is posting about crap speeds after a certain point are merely exploiting and highlighting the "disadvantage" to this setup. Real world usage is what matters. Most users don't generate data in time frames like these people doing benchmarks. Most people don't write very large files in succession. Most users only READ from a drive and rarely write to it. These are all things that Fusion drive shines at. If your work style is not the above then you know that and you already know the pitfalls of this technology. I never will understand people's apprehension to embracing different technologies. Especially those that fill a void that is greatly needed, that void is the 95%(made up statistic) of computer users.

I think most people are forgetting actual usage versus just the theoretical limits.

I manages to make a fusion drive on two different machine
successfully
I also wanted to do with my HP probook, but the laptop will not start or it says there is no Syteme of installed or displays an error BOOT 0 and does not start

I do not understand why it does not work on my probook is what it is because of the way in which the BIOS manages the hard drive?????

if somebody has an idea of the problem .......

This did not work for me. I created the drive and everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to boot to the fusion drive. It starts up super fast and then sits at a white screen with the pinwheel of death for about 6 minutes before I get to the desktop. No suspicious console messages. After that it's super fast. Anyway I have tried 2 different SSD's and 2 different HDD's. Insanely Mac did not respond to me. So I guess I'm giving up and deeming it unfixable. Great guide though, I'm glad to hear it worked for everyone else. You are a genius, sir for figuring that out.

I manages to make a fusion drive on two different machine
successfully
I also wanted to do with my HP probook, but the laptop will not start or it says there is no Syteme of installed or displays an error BOOT 0 and does not start

I do not understand why it does not work on my probook is what it is because of the way in which the BIOS manages the hard drive?????

if somebody has an idea of the problem .......

Look up the Boot0 error on google or any hackintosh message board, there's an excellent guide here. This just USUALLY means boot1h did not get correctly copied to your drive. You have to use boot into the installer, log into the terminal, and use dd to copy it from chimera to the root of your drive correctly, and you probably want to do it to both the SSD and the HDD. Make sure you do that.

Look up the Boot0 error on google or any hackintosh message board, there's an excellent guide here. This just USUALLY means boot1h did not get correctly copied to your drive. You have to use boot into the installer, log into the terminal, and use dd to copy it from chimera to the root of your drive correctly, and you probably want to do it to both the SSD and the HDD. Make sure you do that.

I do not think that this is the problem, I did the same way as my other 2 hack by following the guide, I have tried 2 times and the same result

thank you even when

Back