Contribute
Register

Guide for Installing Snow Leopard on the 4530s Version 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide for Installing Snow Leopard on HP Probook Laptops-Version 3. Includes the 4230s, 4330s, 4430s, 4530s, and 4730s.

Please do NOT PM me with basic questions. Ask them here. They don't get answered immediately if they are something that should be asked here. I will check here as well, and it helps everyone to post here, so everyone can see the answer.

As of now, I currently have the following working:
Core i3 CPU 2310m- working fine, vanilla 64 bit kernel (Core i5 and i7s work as well)
Intel HD3000- Full QE/CI (the trick being having SMBIOS set as a MacbookPro8,1)
Atheros 9285- Fully working
4 Gigs of RAM- fully working
Audio- works with AppleHDA!
Trackpad and keyboard- fully working with basic gestures
DVD drive- working, both reading and writing- thanks to jimmy sticks for testing burning with it!
Sleep- Works
Bluetooth- works on boot, not after restart or sleep.
Ethernet- Works

Install 10.6.8:

Stuff you need-
  • A Snow Leopard Install DVD[/*:m:3cvuyy65]
  • The installer found on the first post here: viewtopic.php?f=259&t=41546[/*:m:3cvuyy65]
  • The latest iBoot downloadable from here:TonyMacx86 Downloads[/*:m:3cvuyy65]
  • The update helper downloadable from here:TonyMacx86 Downloads[/*:m:3cvuyy65]
  • MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8 from here[/*:m:3cvuyy65]
  • A flash drive to put those on.[/*:m:3cvuyy65]

To install basic SL:

1. Burn the downloaded iBoot to a cd with your program of choice. Also put the installer, and the two updates on your flash drive.

2. Boot-up. After it loads, eject iBoot, and put in the Snow Leopard Install Disc. Hit F5, then go to the SL DVD. Hit enter.

3. After you have installed, leave iBoot in, and restart.

4. Run update helper, and restart, still with iBoot in. Install MacOSXCombo10.6.8 from your flash drive. Now use the HP Probook Installer, and select:
-OS X version you are installing
-Chimera
-Under DSDT find your correct BIOS
-i5 or i7 CPU if you have them

5. After it finishes, reboot, and boot from your hard drive with everything working!

Notes:

Please read the FAQ as well. viewtopic.php?f=259&t=43234

If the boot loader does not pick up when using iBoot, and it goes straight to the hard drive, upon boot-up, hit esc, and f9. Then, select Notebook Upgrade Bay.

If you have any way to add to this, please let me know. I will share any credit. Please do not copy and paste this without first getting permission from me.

This guide was written with help from guides written by eleron, BigDonkey, and Inmike09. Thanks to Inmike09 for helping me to test the installer on Snow Leopard, as I have no SL install.

Nice :thumbup:
Though don't think the usb keyboard is necessary as my built in keyboard was detected from the start.
And if you have installed 10.6.8 and you screw it up then you can't boot in with iBoot or rBoot. rBoot boots up with a blank screen unfortunately.

i've got a problem .
I am using Snow leopard retail dvd via usb method..
and when i need to choose hard disk to install, it says that i need to install on guid partition.. when i go to disk utility, i cannot format any partition to Mac OS Extendet (Jurnaled) .. it says something that partitions cannot be modified. My drive is formated as master boot record, because i have windows installed on it..
I Also tried to replace osinstaller.mpkg on retail dvd with edited one (so i can install on mbr drive) and nothing..

Any sugestions?

tnx for quick answer..
But... can i install Windows 7 on GUID?

If you install OS X and make a partition using disk utility that is FAT, you can use the windows install disc to install. It makes a hybrid.

@blueking are we going to get applehda implemented into the snow leopard installer at some point?
had 2 kernel panics in a row this morning both with voodoohda in backtrace.

It wasn't in the pack you gave me a few days ago, have you added it to the new installer?
P.S. you now need to update your signature ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back