Contribute
Register

Guide: Dell XPS 8500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Willith,

I don't have any problem with my front USB 3.0. I am with 10.10.3.
What format of external hard disk/flash drive are you using? Mine is HFS+, though do not have NTFS/EXT4 to test.

Just finish a 100% working Yosemite install in my XPS 8500, just a few tips:

Kernel Flags: -f dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1

If you VGA is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1023 MB, use web driver 334.01 and don't upgrade. Only with this drive i got triple display always working.

If you use virtualization, like virtualbox or vmware fusion, use "RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90" in Multibeast. AppleRTL8169Ethernet 2.0.6 will break you networking host and vm.

Quick update: 10.10.3 is working fine. Still using same boot flags.

Tiple display @ NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 1023 MB using nVidia Web Driver: 346.01.02f01.

Using ALC887/888b Current v100302 from MultiBeast 7.2.0 to audio.

Trim fix from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/161314-os-x-10-10-3-update-6.html#post1017430

Quick update: 10.10.4 is working really great. I recommend this version.

MultiBeast 7.4.0:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC887/888b Current v100302
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal

nVidia WebDriver-346.01.03f01.pkg

trimforce enable @ terminal.

Same boot flags from original quote.

Quick update: 10.10.4 is working really great. I recommend this version.

MultiBeast 7.4.0:
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC887/888b Current v100302
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal

nVidia WebDriver-346.01.03f01.pkg

trimforce enable @ terminal.

Same boot flags from original quote.

For some reason I got kernel panic when machine shutdown to reboot for upgrading 10.10.3 to 10.10.4. I had to downgrade to 10.9 again. :(

Anyone successfully install El Capitan UEFI? Steps you used? I attempted, 3 times, re-created USB three times too - seemed to work ok but no audio and most USB ports didn't work. I can now no longer boot the 8500 via UEFI with a UEFI Unibeast created USB. It'll boot up then no sign(where it worked a few times before, I changed nothing on the system...)

Legacy worked though, all USB ports work, no audio - ordered a USB audio adapter to solve. Would love to use UEFI install though.

Anyone do a fresh install of El Capitan UEFI on their 8500 yet?

I have successfully installed El Capitan legacy mode ok. Procedure that worked is below.

Create unibeast[Legacy]
Boot from USB, install El Capitan
Setup El Capitan
Run Multibeast:
Quick Start > Legacy Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxx > ALC887/888b [audio does NOT work - I have two line out options to choose from but no audio]
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > Fake SMC v6.18.1394
Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3320 Legacy Boot Mode
Cutomize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1

AFTER Multibeast is run and a restart all USB ports work. Audio still doesn't work and I redid everything and tried legacy option for ALC887/888b and that was worse than normal option(USB audio adapter ordered).

Otherwise system appears to work fine, I have NOT tested sleep it has yet to ever work for me on any hackintosh.
So I never sleep the computer, and only sleep the display.

Looking forward to anyone with correct procedure for UEFI install to work on the XPS 8500 - and audio.

Thanks to everyone here at Tonymac - lots of searching/lurking over the years - hope this post helps someone.
I did NOT inject ATI or anything for the video card, tested with Hearthstone, seems to be working, video does glitch a bit right after Apple logo progress bar finishes up at boot, and if I switch display input away from DVI to VGA(VGA hooked up to a PC) I get a neat high resolution colored snow background for less than a second. DVI monitor hooked up, 2nd DP monitor both working great.

Dell XPS 8500 i7 3770, ATI 6850, no other cards installed, no wifi, no bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screen ShotMultibeast.png
    Screen ShotMultibeast.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 213
Hello, I'm a novice so can't offer too much, except to say that you might consider an nVidia 640 or 650 card; I have the 640 and it is detected natively and I think it pretty much eliminates video-related issues. It removes one potential stumbling block and I'm really happy with it. I have the 1 GB version but here is the 2GB one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086UXQES/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Installed UEFI El Capitan 10.11.2 on my XPS 8500 with Nvidia gt 640, amazingly *everything* works (usb 3 / SSD+TRIM / audio / wifi (rosewill card) / bluetooth (usb) / etc)

Multibeast config:

Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 7.56.29 PM.png

Caveats:
- Initially installation usb would not start El Capitan installation, so I booted with dart=0 nv_disable=1 cpus=1 and it worked fine (no flags needed after installation finished)
- Once I installed the mac 3,1 profile for some reason only the 4 USB 3 ports work. 4 is enough for me and I do not care about the 2.0 ports.

iMessage fix from here worked too: https://www.******.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/

I was able to install UEFI El Capitan 10.11.2 on to a Dell Vostro 470 (same motherboard as the XPS 8500) i5 3450 / GT 620.

Followed the instructions located here / used the same boot flags and MultiBeast config as @nloeff ^^^ (thanks for posting).

I lost the use of USB 2.0 ports after choosing the SSD to install the OS to in Clover / before the installer screen came up asking to choose your language; the system would just hang at an alternating keyboard / mouse screen. I then figured I needed to change the keyboard and mouse from the 2.0 to the 3.0 ports once I did this, the install continued.

I have El Capitan 10.11.3 installed on my XPS 8500. No USB 2.0 but that's fine with me. No audio either, still trying to figure that one out. This is my first attempt at a Hackintosh install.

I upgraded my UEFI clover install to El Capitan, works fine except for two of my USB ports. From reading threads on other sites, it appears that this is due to the SMBIOS model you are using, since El Capitan counts the ports differently. I'm using iMac 13,2 to be closest to the CPU (i7 3.4Ghz), but apparently this one doesn't have enough ports. Afraid to change it to lost power management. The guide I found on this other website that cannot be named here says you have to check the id of the port in your DSDT, but we don't use a DSDT on Clover! So I'm lost. Anyone successfully have all ports working (and power management working) on el Capitan? If so, what SMBIOS model did you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back