Contribute
Register

Gigabyte X79 UD3 - Installation and Post Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for my CPU 12 Core you need the VoodooTSSync.kext to enable all cores I think, and that SMcpu setting. Here is my copy. Use KextBeast, unzip and put it on the desktop. Be sure to add to smbios.plist <key>SMcputype</key><string>1281</string>

You may not need this on your 3820 CPU. But I got this file when they were talking about only being able to use 1 CPU on the X79 boards so it may actually help. Your scores are lower too because of 6 Core vs 4 Core. You could always try the VoodooTSSync.kext and string and if it caused havok just boot in with UniBeast and remove the Kext and Values in the smbios.plist

You need the CUDA driver to run Adobe products:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Premiere Pro:
1) run GPUSniffer. Open Terminal Window and copy and paste this command:
/Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer

Copy and paste your card name into text editor... mine was GeForce GTX 780

2) copy and paste this command into Terminal:
sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6/Adobe\ Premiere\ Pro\ CS6.app/Contents/cuda_supported_cards.txt

Paste in your card above the others and save the file ctrl-x enter I think...

After Effects:
/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6.app/Contents/GPUSniffer.app/Contents/MacOS/GPUSniffer
sudo nano /Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CS6.app/Contents/raytracer_supported_cards.txt

You should be able to open the program and then select the Mercury Playback Engine instead of Software. Goto Project Settings General then select Renderer Mercury Playback Engine GPU Accelerator CUDA.

Attachments

• VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 278
Not sure how you guys are getting things to boot without CPUS=1 initially.

Hey guys,

building a system for a client:

GA-X79-UD3 (f16)
i7-3820
GTX760
16GB Ram
1tB Seagate HDD

Cant seem to get the installer up yet, even using:

npci=0x3000
PCIRootUID=1
GraphicsEnabler=No

Just get to spinning wheel. Have not tried using CPUS=1 yet, plan on trying that when I get home.

Any other ideas? Any other boot flags I should be trying?

I have double check my bios settings are correct but will of course check again, if anyone thinks I might be forgetting something.

Need yo get this finished installed by monday so any ideas,questions, help, tips, etc are welcome:)

Spang

Wanted to thank you for the reply and help:) Got system all up and installed:) Everything works.

For install I had to use:

npci=0x3000 (changed it to 0x2000 after Multibeast to get audio working)
cpus=1

After install I used Multibeast for audio and ethernet( changing the npci=0x3000 to npci=0x2000). I then used the VoodooTSCSync.kext and was able to remove the cpus=1 flag. I also had to change the GraphicsEnabler=yes to =No

Could not have done this without all the help and posts on this forum.

Peace
Love
Spang

What version intel network driver should I use for mavericks 6.2.1. I figure i need to update it as my ethernet is running crazy slow (compared to wifi). That being said everything was fine for weeks until 30 minutes ago. (3.0.4 vs 2.5.4 vs 2.4.14)

Also, does anyone else have issues with the front USB3.0 ports. Whenever I plug a device that needs power into these ports it shorts the computer and seems to create a lot of issues. I wonder if I don't have enough PSU for everything that i have running (GTX670, 6 core, three HDD, 3 SSD, drobo via USB 3.0, four bay HDD bay via USB3.0 and other USB3.0 peripherals. Some thoughts would be great (also, I have a 1000 watt PSU)

To your second question, Dnk_Productions, I doubt you're having a PSU problem. I have a 6-core CPU, a GTX680, two SSDs, a Myricom 10GbE Fiber Channel card, a ten-disk internal RAID with a beefy Areca card, plus various peripherals, and I'm using an 850W PSU. Could it be a problem with the wiring of the computer case itself?

I'm sorry that I can't help you with the Intel question, since I don't really use 1Gb Ethernet on my machine. I'm not even sure if I've ever tested if it works!

However, I would like to know anyone is getting USB 3.0 to work on this MB. I am using the GenericUSBXHCI kext and Bios F11 with Legacy USB Support disabled, EHCI and XHCI hand-off enabled. I have two external USB 3.0 units to test with, a 4TB CalDigit VR2 and a 4TB G-RAID. In both cases, the drive shows up for a minute or two and then spontaneously ejects. Console records a bunch of error messages from the kernel that I don't fully understand, apart from the obvious fact that they relate to the drive's disappearance.

Oddly, a bare SATA drive in a USB 3.0 toaster stays connected and reads/writes without trouble.

Dnk_Productions, if you've had luck with external USB 3.0 RAID devices, please explain how! I desperately need this functionality on my machine. Thank you!

Hmm. I have never tried to use USB3.0 RAID drives. I do have a Drobo 5D running via USB3.0 and that works fine, but that is running it's own version of RAID so can't really comment on internally set up RAID arrays.

Thanks for your help.

I have a X79-UD3 with a Gigabyte GEFORCE GTX 650Ti graphics card. I was able to get my pc to boot of Unibeast with the following configuration:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1 and npci=0x3000
then installed 10.9.2 ok.

After this, I could boot from the USB unibeast USB drive, the change the boot drive to my new Samsung SSD, add the boot configuration parameters, and the system boots! With post installation changes! Even the ethernet worked.

I used your DSDT file and followed your instructions, and I can boot straight from the SSD but I do have to enter npci=0x300 or it won't boot!

I tried manually entering <string>npci=0x3000</string> on the plist file in the extra folder but it does not work. Any suggestions.

Oh one more thing, I have sound out of my headphones jack but no HDMI sound option in the sounds preferences. Anyone knows how to get sound out HDMI?

Thanks for the help!

This worked quite nicely, except: After waking up from sleep, I can't open safari, the app store, and some other programs. I guess it's not working properly. Does it work for you guys? Which sleepenabler.kext are you using?

*edit* nevermind, seems to be working now. i'm using this one:
http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-...me=SleepEnabler.kext.10.7.x-10.8.zip&can=2&q=

has anyone tried upgrading this build to mavericks?

*edit2*
aaand i just tried and it worked pretty much the same.

I am starting to have issues when using bluetooth. Whenever enabled my memory usage skyrockets when exporting via FCPX. I am running 10.9.4. Wonder if you have any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back