Contribute
Register

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5TH wifi bluetooth card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tip. I was pointed to the Graphics Enabler=no for my gtx660ti to work. All good now.

Only issue is when I shut down the computer turns off then restarts by itself a second or two later. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi glhodnett

I'm curious about this "automatic reboot" as well - see [SOLVED] System reboots after shutdown

I reset the bios to factory defaults and re-setup the system. on multibeast, I did following changes one by one (=complete shutdown after every change to isolate a potential setting causing troubles)
- DSDT Free installation + GraphicsEnabler=No
> complete shutdown+booting >> no lan
- ATHEROS NIC
> complete shutdown+booting >> no lan
- Intel NIC
> complete shutdown+booting >> lan working
- complete shutdown
- connect myBook over eSata
- booting >>myBook working
> complete shutdown+booting >> everything fine so far

Chris

Getting this thread back on-topic...

The WiFi/Bluetooth card supplied with the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is the GC-WB300D.
Today I installed this into a machine: if it worked I was going to move the USB Bluetooth dongle to another machine.

I can confirm that with the card installed in a PCIe slot, the USB port connected, and both supplied antennas connected:
  • No WiFi interface magically appears.
  • The system detects a Bluetooth controller (manufacturer is Lite-On Technology).
    However, attempts to pair with any devices fail.
The Set Up Bluetooth Device window does not detect any Bluetooth devices (and there are many active nearby, including the mouse which was previously working with the USB dongle). It seems this card may be a complete non-starter. :(

Hopefully at least the PCIe->mini-PCIe adapter is still useful for other mini-PCIe cards, even if the Intel WiFi/BT card on there is a dud.

Getting this thread back on-topic...

The WiFi/Bluetooth card supplied with the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is the GC-WB300D.
Today I installed this into a machine: if it worked I was going to move the USB Bluetooth dongle to another machine.

I can confirm that with the card installed in a PCIe slot, the USB port connected, and both supplied antennas connected:
  • No WiFi interface magically appears.
  • The system detects a Bluetooth controller (manufacturer is Lite-On Technology).
    However, attempts to pair with any devices fail.
The Set Up Bluetooth Device window does not detect any Bluetooth devices (and there are many active nearby, including the mouse which was previously working with the USB dongle). It seems this card may be a complete non-starter. :(

Hopefully at least the PCIe->mini-PCIe adapter is still useful for other mini-PCIe cards, even if the Intel WiFi/BT card on there is a dud.

DBP,

This card is a hit or miss with Bluetooth, when I first setup my system with 10.8.2, it worked great with my magic mouse. Then i decided to get the new Samsung 840 Pro, reinstalled my system, never got it to work again, gave up and bought a IOGear.

glhodnett;

The reboot issue seems to be tied to the 'wake on lan' setting in the BIOS. I have seen people have experienced this. In the BIOS set 'wake on lan' = no. Hope that help. Glad the other post helped.

P

Thanks for this thread. I was trying to use the bluetooth card but couldn't get it to work. Took advice from this thread since I had Win 8 and ML 10.8.2 installed, I booted to Win 8, installed drivers and got the bluetooth working, synced with my Magic Mouse in windows. Then I rebooted to ML 10.8.2 and it was working.

I haven't tried it, but here's the link for the drivers.
Thanks. An interesting link once I'd drilled down to the contents.

That is a modified copy of the 10.8.2 AirPort driver. I really hate re-distributions of someone else's code.
But comparing it to Apple's files (using `diff -r`) it turns out there's just two extra lines in one text file. Nothing else. It's in /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist and adds two device codes to the recognised list:
Code:
        <array>
                [B]<string>pci168c,303f</string>[/B]
                <string>pci168c,30</string>
                <string>pci168c,2a</string>
                <string>pci106b,0086</string>
                <string>pci168c,1c</string>
                <string>pci168c,23</string>
                <string>pci168c,24</string>
                [B]<string>pci168c,2b</string>[/B]
        </array>
That's useful to know for when Apple update their files in the next release. And modifying your system with this change doesn't require re-distributing portions of Apple's OS X files. That is, useful if this works.
But a 4 MB ZIP file containing Apple drivers that already exist in OS X, just to update this one text file? Sheesh!

Now this card has two separate portions.
  • One is connected by USB and is a Bluetooth module made by Lite-On.
  • The other portion is the WiFi "AirPort" module which is connected via PCIe.
How would adding device IDs to the AirPort driver affect the Bluetooth module? Maybe an AirPort interface would appear. But where's the connection with Bluetooth?

After making the above change. getting the system to rebuild the kext cache I rebooted and found..... nothing. No AirPort network interface, and a Bluetooth module that still can't see any devices.
Then I did what I should have done first and had a look at the machine's IOreg. Turns out there's a device in there with the name pci168c,34 (that's an Atheros WiFi device). Unfortunately adding this name to that Info.plist and rebuilding the cache did not make WiFi start working.

Unless I've missed something, right now this "driver" is looking like a dud.
It does not seem to affect Bluetooth at all, and is failing to attach the Atheros card on my GC-WB300D.

Thanks for this thread. I was trying to use the bluetooth card but couldn't get it to work. Took advice from this thread since I had Win 8 and ML 10.8.2 installed, I booted to Win 8, installed drivers and got the bluetooth working, synced with my Magic Mouse in windows. Then I rebooted to ML 10.8.2 and it was working.

Thanks!!! Tried what you said, Booted up into Win8, got everything working there, rebooted into 10.8.2, bluetooth card is working again with my Magic mouse. No drivers needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back