Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I finally got this setup fully functional after a little bit of trial and error (Only 3 complete installs - Not bad for a noob). I wanted to share my build and the method I used (Thanks to lots of posts on this forum) to get it working.

The Components:

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V F3 - $59.99 (After Rebate)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6952220&CatId=5195
Intel Core i3 540 3.06 GHZ 4MB Cache Processor - $119.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031M9QZ4
ASUS EN210 Silent GEFORCE 210 512MB Graphics - $19.99 (After Rebate)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7283218&CatId=3670
LG Electronics GH22NS50 22X SATA Super Multi DVD+/-RW Internal Drive - $19.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C9K3UO
ADATA 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) CL9 Memory Module Kit with Heatspreader AD3U1333B2G9DRH - $41.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NH85RC
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD - $0.00
Already owned this...
VIA VT6307 PCI FireWire IEEE 1394 3 + 1 Port PCI Card - $4.45
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042A1QMU
Cheap Mid-ATX Computer Case - $0.00
I had this laying around...
Total Cost: $266.39 (Not counting what I already had laying around, but even if you add a cheap case, HDD, and 10.6.3 DVD you can do this for $380-$400!)

The Install:

1. Leave graphics card uninstalled, install one stick of ram in the first slot and plug in your HDD & DVD drive according this diagram: (Thanks Pulpo)ddddsh.jpg

2. Set BIOS setting as follows:
- SATA to AHCI, not IDE.
- Under Power Management, Set:
> ACPI suspended time: S3
> HPET mode: to 64-bit
3. You will perform the initial install using onboard graphics.
4. Install Snow Leopard using latest iboot disc and retail 10.6.3 dvd (per tonymacx86 instructions) .
5. Download 10.6.7 combo update (I downloaded this in advance on my laptop and saved to a usb flash drive - Did the same with multibeast - Then copied multibeast to my desktop after installation for ease of access.
6. Follow tonymacx86 instructions and install combo update (no reboot), then move to multibeast.

7. Multi-beast options selected:
- Easybeast > Selected
- System Utilities > Selected
- Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > AppleHDA Rollback
- Graphics > Enablers >NVEnabler
- Network > Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx...
- OSx86 Software > Kext Helper b7 & Kext Utility
8. Run multibeast
9. Reboot
10. Change BIOS settings for HDD primary boot. Save and reboot.
11. As soon as the screen reaches the POST, turn it off and install your graphics card, additional ram, and firewire card.
12. Restart Computer

13. Copy GigabyteALC888b.kext (from the attached Gigabyte_ALC888b.zip file) to /Extra/Extensions
14. Place HDAEnabler.kext (from the attached Gigabyte_ALC888b.zip file) on desktop and install using Kext Helper b7.
15. Run Multibeast again and this time only select System utilities.
16. Reboot and enjoy!

I would not have been able to do this build without this site, so I hope this helps others using this board with similar peripherals!

Attachments

• Gigabyte_ALC888b.zip
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • ddddsh.jpg
    ddddsh.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,373
HUGE thanks for this guide. I got the same cpu & motherboard combo, and this guide worked like a champ.

I had to go through the audio part a couple times, but now I've got a fully functioning mac.

Thanks again!

Glad that it helped. The sound was a bit tricky and I went through it myself a few times. I might have something out of order - I tried my best to remember :)

But I didn't find a guide for this board, so I wanted to write one up.

I'm about to add internal Bluetooth base on a guide I found elsewhere.

Big thanks for this guide - everything worked on my GA-H55M-S2 too!

:clap: Thanks you u r :headbang:

cary, via some freakish stroke of luck, my Mac's specs are almost identical to yours. Just a question about the GFX card since I've gotten sound working fine; will the NVEnabler only work if you apply it to the system before inserting the card, or will it work with the card installed beforehand?

EDIT: Never mind, got it working via EFI.

Thank you for the guide :)

One thing to add to the guide, select the internal speakers option for the audio in the system preferences -> audio area.

Beyond this, I already had Win7 x64 running on my PC with the H55M-S2V board and 2 x 2GB RAM sticks with an nVidia 9500GT card. I was able to follow this guide simply by adding an extra 120GB sata drive and not messing with the graphics card, RAM, or SATA drive attachment order. In the end, I just needed to get the sound working.

After finishing the guide I ran the tonymaxx86-NVIDIA-Update. I'm not sure if it was necessary, and I don't feel like doing another hard reboot, but I did have to do one hard reboot before installing it when I tried to change my resolution from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200 and the screen became blue and stayed that way. When I rebooted the resolution was running okay at 1920x1200, but I installed the update anyway in case I needed to try another resolution in the future in the hopes of avoiding the duck-egg-blue screen freeze :)

I'm using the f12 key to switch between OSes on reboots.

this is great. I have similar specs and will look to this as a guide. Just curious:

how do you know if you have an F2 or F3 version of the mobo? I've looked everywhere on it...
many thanks!

Are you able to have the system sleep with the LG DVD writer? I have almost the same setup, and I can't get it to sleep. I've just unplugged the DVD drive since I don't need it most of the time. Maybe I'm just used to my MBP, but I prefer putting the computer to sleep, rather than shutting down or leaving it running all the time.

A noob question, but as the SV2 has onboard graphics, is it necessary to use a graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back