Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there, I'm doing my own G5 case mod and I'm attempting to fit my mobo to work with original PCI slots.

I've taken out the original standoffs, and i've attempted to make my own tray, however that has not worked. (effin' JBWeld)

Pretty much I need to know what height of a motherboard "plate" I should use and what type of standoffs/standoff screws I should purchase from Osh/Home Depot.

I'm also gonna post my PSU guide once this is all done, so theres a little incentive to help me out heh.

Thanks.

Just reuse the G5 Standoffs for this project. No need for a mobo tray if you are going to use the G5's PCI slots.

See my build and you will see that my first attempt was re-positioned standoffs and that was it. I only went with a mobo tray later on when I needed more PCI openings.

One thing to keep in mind when using the G5 standoffs it make sure they are all then same size as there is two different sizes used.

Just to answer the question about height - overall you need about 12 or 13mm to use the original slots. I do that by having a 5mm tray with 8mm standoffs........

Eelhead - which ones are the shorter standoffs? Currently I've got the ones with the little "bulb" on the top, and the other ones which have an opening for screws. I've tried the ones with screw openings but I seem to be about a millimeter or two too high for my PCI slots :(

They are too high because they were originally recessed into the material of the case (by about a mm). However, it doesn't matter that there is a mm of height difference. You can always put a thin washer under where the card fixes to the screw hole of the PCI slots if you are worried.

Ahh, forgot about the recession. I quickly filed down the tops of the standoffs with my Dremel tool using the sander attachment, they're fitting perfectly now. Thanks guys, I should be done with the entire thing today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back