Contribute
Register

Friendly reminder: Back up your data any way you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 external hard drives where i backup all my music/guitar/apps files,also i have an internal 2 terabytes hd for downloads,on my main El Capitan SSD i dont keep any files.

Carbon Copy Cloner of Boot SSD on external USB 3 drive, plus Time Machine on Synology NAS (which has its own backup solution) , plus the sparse disk image on the NAS is then cloned again with Carbon Copy Cloner on an external USB 3 drive. Once per month I clone everything onto a HDD that I give to a friend of mine for safekeeping ...in case the house would caught fire...

I have a duplicate with carbon copy cloner. I just discovered Arq with the new unlimited amazon drive. Awesome. Backing up my synology nas and my computer as we speak.

if i clone hackintosh sierra system ssd1 (samsung 850 evo 250 GB) to another one ssd2 (same type samsung 850 evo 250 GB) with carbon copy cloner, will be system bootable and working on the same hackintosh, on the same SATA port from cloned ssd2 without issue? I mean what about another ssd2 identification (serial number, disk identification etc.) in system isn't problem? Must i edit some parameters in clover after cloning to physically other ssd2? Thanks for any advice.

I'm asked this because this working until Yosemite without problem but from 10.10 Yosemite i remember cloning not more working, there was an issue with disk number or something similar as i remember after cloning and booting from another disk in the same sata port as original system was booting before.

EDIT: Sorry my fault i found solution from tonymacx86 on this forum:

The easiest way to make a full backup is use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a cloned backup drive. Afterwards install Clover using MultiBeast to the cloned drive. Then mount both your system drive's EFI partition and your backup drive's EFI partition using EFI Mounter v3. Then copy your EFI folder from your system drive to backup drive. Then you'll have a full bootable clone.

Last edited:
For those dual booting with Windows:

While not cheap, the windows version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite allows you to backup AND restore your hackintosh partitions right from Windows.
  • T'is the only windows solution I found that recognizes apple HFS.
  • I find it very neat to backup the EFI partition before upgrading clover or modifying config.plist in any way.
  • Extremely convenient to reboot to windows to backup/restore everything on the Mac side
  • Backs up your windows partitions as well
The UI is TERRIBLE though, so over-complicated, but it works great.

SuperDuper clone and Timemaschine here :)

Just like voting, Backup early and often.

Just FYI I had a hard drive formatted to ExFat as well for my Windows 7 side and Mountain Lion side, and I constantly ran into problems. Had to recover data 3 times.
Just my two cents

Hmmm can you tell me more about that? I have everything formatted to exfat lol. I do disk images with apple disk utility, never had to restore one tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back