Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
create images of each partition?

Does anybody know what the best solution is for backing up a hard drive that is shared on a dual boot system? I have it formatted Exfat to share video files and such between Windows 8 and OSX.

Just FYI I had a hard drive formatted to ExFat as well for my Windows 7 side and Mountain Lion side, and I constantly ran into problems. Had to recover data 3 times.
I suggest creating two partitions on the drive, one NTFS (for Windows) and the other HTFS+ (for ML) and then use Paragon NTFS on ML, and Macdrive on Windows to have full read/write access to both partitions from either OS. I've been running it like that for months without any problems. And you can still easily back up the HD to another drive using the same partition scheme.

Just my two cents

Best Buy has previous-generation 2TB Time Capsules for $220. They're extremely reliable, even if (heaven forbid) your hackintosh is not. The only difference between the new and old ones is that the new ones use 802.11ac (which has very little adoption among macs and zero adoption among hackintoshes) and the older ones have 802.11n.

The old Timecapsule gets very hot. Mine completely died after a little more than one year. I would not go this route.

Just FYI I had a hard drive formatted to ExFat as well for my Windows 7 side and Mountain Lion side, and I constantly ran into problems. Had to recover data 3 times.
I suggest creating two partitions on the drive, one NTFS (for Windows) and the other HTFS+ (for ML) and then use Paragon NTFS on ML, and Macdrive on Windows to have full read/write access to both partitions from either OS. I've been running it like that for months without any problems. And you can still easily back up the HD to another drive using the same partition scheme.

Just my two cents

ditto for me! Exfat seems very unreliable for mac
^^^^this seems like a viable option nice one HaxMan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back