Contribute
Register

First Powermac G5 (Late 2005) Project - Design According to Ive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Changes

Just to finish off the build log with the final things that I did:

1. Built a HDD Cover for the drive bay cut from the old shuttle case that I had. In the pictures you can see how the case is quite close in both size, and colour to the apple G5 cover. The cover is just sandwiched between the HDD bay and the outer cover itself.
IMG_1187.jpgIMG_4181.jpgIMG_1159.jpg

2. I built a Cover for the SATA ports made from the same aluminium as the HDD cover
IMG_1199.jpgIMG_1203.jpg

3. I replaced the fan distribution cover with some aluminium that I used for the HDD Cover
IMG_1214.jpgIMG_1210.jpgIMG_1159.jpg

4. WIFI, using a PCIe to mini-PCIe adapter, an Broadcom BCM94322HM8L (works out of the box), and a new antenna fitted in the existing apple WIFI cover
IMG_1271.jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1275.jpg

Future Improvements

Here are some of the things I would like to do one-day, but not anytime soon.

• Fan speed controller, to convert CPU PWM fan signal to voltage to power all of the case fans
  • Remove the CPU fan from the main CPU heat-sink, and create a cardboard shroud that directs airflow from four internal case fans through the heat-sink. The four fans should provide ample cooling. To be honest I went a bit overboard on the number fans.
  • Wire front panel Audio, USB, and Firewire ports. Currently they are inactive, not that I would use them. Consider converting the firewire port to a second USB port by filing the hole slightly.
  • Sound recorder for apple startup chime - mounted next to fan power distribution board, to provide that all important trademarked apple startup sound.
  • I don't like the cables visibly exiting the speaker housing, want to move these so they exit where cannot be seen
What would you improve ?

I really like your first two planed improvments.
1st: You should be able to do this cable by your own (I was lazy and bought a ready PWM splitter cable). Keep in mind that the mainboard can't provide enough electric power for a big number of fans. If you want to control more than 3 fans get the electric power directly from the power supply. Make sure u have PWM fans!
2nd: I would like to see that! Thats the way my old MacPro 1.1 worked…

I really like your first two planed improvments.
1st: You should be able to do this cable by your own (I was lazy and bought a ready PWM splitter cable). Keep in mind that the mainboard can't provide enough electric power for a big number of fans. If you want to control more than 3 fans get the electric power directly from the power supply. Make sure u have PWM fans!
2nd: I would like to see that! Thats the way my old MacPro 1.1 worked…
Thanks, Yes these are my favourites too.

The fans I have already installed are NOT PWM so would have to replace the four of them for your approach to work. What I was trying to do was find a circuit to convert a PWM signal to a DC voltage in range 6-12v, but haven't found anything to do this.

Thanks, Yes these are my favourites too.

The fans I have already installed are NOT PWM so would have to replace the four of them for your approach to work. What I was trying to do was find a circuit to convert a PWM signal to a DC voltage in range 6-12v, but haven't found anything to do this.

Interesting idea! That would be a nice fan controll.
Edit:
Here are some:
http://www.nanoxia-world.com/zubehor/pwmx-control-module/pwmx-control-module.html#
http://www.paqt.co.uk/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5
More info:
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projec...5/?PHPSESSID=5963a8e34766f54ea89494180bfbea10

great work, also on details..

``I then installed new Fractal Design 92 mm fans into the bracket, using new rubber mounts into the existing holes. I cut the cables to the fans and spliced both fans into s single cable and used paracord to sheath the cable back to a three pin fan connector.
When splicing a fan cable in this way, only a single yellow wire should be connected.``

what does this mean in detail, why only one single yellow wire? As I understand what you did is just paralleling the two fans into a single connection..

great work, also on details..

``I then installed new Fractal Design 92 mm fans into the bracket, using new rubber mounts into the existing holes. I cut the cables to the fans and spliced both fans into s single cable and used paracord to sheath the cable back to a three pin fan connector.
When splicing a fan cable in this way, only a single yellow wire should be connected.``

what does this mean in detail, why only one single yellow wire? As I understand what you did is just paralleling the two fans into a single connection..
The fans I used have three wires. Black and Red provide 12V and must be connected in parallel for the fans to function. The Yellow wire is a tachometer signal back to the motherboard (which I dont use at this time), but wiring these in parallel wouldn't work. A single yellow wire is all that is needed, one can be left unconnected. If you want a wiring diagram I could do one.

The fans I used have three wires. Black and Red provide 12V and must be connected in parallel for the fans to function. The Yellow wire is a tachometer signal back to the motherboard (which I dont use at this time), but wiring these in parallel wouldn't work. A single yellow wire is all that is needed, one can be left unconnected. If you want a wiring diagram I could do one.

yes, makes sense with the two new fans..and yes diagramm would be nice..also your conversion of the connector..
´´I connected the speaker to the motherboard using an adapter cable to convert the PC 4 pin connector to the 2 pin connector of the apple speaker.´´

many thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back