Contribute
Register

First hackintosh - GA-Z77X-UP5 TH build

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's alive!! Big thanks to everyone who helped + the guys who write this awesome software.

Assembled PC
Tucked cables in nicely
Chucked in an old 1TB drive, installed Win 7 64 bit
Updated BIOS to F4
This somehow stopped windows from booting afterwards
Reinstalled it again (took all of 15-20 mins!)
Installed SSD from my previous mac
Booted off Unibeast USB I prepped a while ago
Installed to SSD
Booted from Unibeast and told it to boot the SSD
Ran Multibeast with Alfa's settings
So far so good!
Need to reinstall all my apps and check everything (eg ethernet, audio, graphics accel etc), but hopefully they work OK
A few more weeks and the 660TI arrives :D

All up and running with the 660TI, slowed down slightly once I installed the other SATA hard drives, I guess the OS has to poll them occasionally etc. The system is still blistering fast, just need to try some games now and fix OpenCL!

Keep us updated!

I am going to be building a similar Hack soon... I just have to finalize components and pull the trigger on Amazon.

Hmm Luxmark runs without error, score is 1001, or 1153 when using CPUs too. Guess OpenCL is working? No ripples in Dashboard though.
Interesting seeing the power usage rise by around 150W when I fire up Luxmark!

Overclocked to 4.2GHz, and ran a 64 bit geekbench, now getting 15725 :) Also changed to the MacMini SMBIOS profile to enable the extra P states, was previously only getting 1.6 or 4.2GHz.

Couple of pics of the finished product :) Loving the drive sled built into the top of the case, only wish the case had a firewire port somewhere on it!

hackintoshside.jpg

hackintoshsideopen.jpg

hackintoshsideopen2.jpg

hackintoshtop.jpg

Just need to figure out why the mac seems to be limited to 4.2GHz according to hwmonitor even though the 4 cores in BIOS are set to 4.3GHz, is there a SSDT setting that needs to be adjusted?

Getting a freeze where only the mouse keeps working, clock etc stops, might try the MacPro 5,1 profile to see if this helps. Hopefully the P states stay.

15/09/12 10:05:13.000 AM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = Fifo: Watchdog Timeout Error

Getting a freeze where only the mouse keeps working, clock etc stops, might try the MacPro 5,1 profile to see if this helps. Hopefully the P states stay.

15/09/12 10:05:13.000 AM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = Fifo: Watchdog Timeout Error

Ribfeast

Good read and nice build - as to mouse - check in bios for Legacy USB support - should be on to support USB 1.1
This was one of my problems in my build.

Tote

Hi. I also want to get this motherboard too for my first build. I have a question about the thunderbolt on this motherboard, I just bought a second-hand 27 ATD. Can anyone tell me if I can use OSx ML with thunderbolt display using cpu hd4000 integrated graphics and then buy a discrete gfx card later increasing the graphic capabilities of the machine, using the ATD with the onboard thunderbolt connections. Looks good in theory but I don't now if it works on a real build like this one here but with a ATD connected to the mobo.

Shopping list:
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU: Core i5 3570K or Core i7-3770K both with HD4000
RAM: 2x 8Gb - Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11 kit
PSU: Corsair Builder CX500W V2 (CMPSU-500CXV2EU)

Already have:
USB Bluetooth | TARGUS ACB20EU-22
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD 240GB 2,5" MKNSSDCR240GB-DX
Apple wireless keyboard
Apple magic trackpad
Apple 27 thunderbolt display
ASUS Rt-N66U router
-| probably not for this build: EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video
? Can I use the graphic power of a card with OS lion and thunderbolt display connected to the motherboard's thunderbolt port ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back