Contribute
Register

EXPERIMENTAL ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fokuslee said:
notshy said:
fokuslee said:
I am confused
I got my card working with Kabyl's ati exp bootloader
I get nice resolution
the only thing missing is QE/CI
will this guide enable that?
b/c i have tried different methods of using driver from netkas without any luck at all

How are u testing if u have QE/CI enabled? Does Front Row work ?

i am following this guide to check.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 43845.html

That's only applicable to OS 10.5 Leopard and earlier. See if you get the ripple effect when you drag a widget onto the dashboard or if Front Row works. If so, QE/CI is working just fine. =)

Hi. I'm trying to set up my configuration to boot without iBoot. My system is:

GA P55A UD4
Ati Radeon HD 5770 Passive
i5 760 2,8
4gb Ram

I install 10.6.3 with DVD Retail, then combo update to 10.6.5 don't reboot. Now my steps:

Multibeast 3.0.3
DSDT (F15)
System Utilities
Audio ALC8xxHDA
Audio AppleHDA Rollback
Disk IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Disk Jmicron36x eSATA
Disk Jmicron36x SATA
Graphics ATY_Vervet
Misc. IOUSBFamily Rollback
Misc. USB 3.0 - Nec/Renesas
Network Realtek RTL8169 Kext
Bootloaders Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental
Customization 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
Syst.Def iMac 11,1
OSx86 Soft Kext Helper b7, Kext Utility, MSR Tools and ShowAllFiles

Reboot and black. Reboot with iBoot and black again.

I think is the graphics card (OK, it's my fault, I don't know to make it work properly), because the Network, Audio, SystDef and USB works.

Can be I must to install DSDT & System Util., reboot, then Audio+System Utilities, reboot,....?

This is my first Hackintosh, so sorry for any inconveniences or mistakes. And thanks in advance, I'm learning everyday in this superb forum. Any tips are welcome.

PD: Sorry for my basic english, I'm improve everyday!!!

moriarty said:
Hi. I'm trying to set up my configuration to boot without iBoot. My system is:

GA P55A UD4
Ati Radeon HD 5770 Passive
i5 760 2,8
4gb Ram

I install 10.6.3 with DVD Retail, then combo update to 10.6.5 don't reboot. Now my steps:

Multibeast 3.0.3
DSDT (F15)
System Utilities
Audio ALC8xxHDA
Audio AppleHDA Rollback
Disk IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
Disk Jmicron36x eSATA
Disk Jmicron36x SATA
Graphics ATY_Vervet
Misc. IOUSBFamily Rollback
Misc. USB 3.0 - Nec/Renesas
Network Realtek RTL8169 Kext
Bootloaders Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental
Customization 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
Syst.Def iMac 11,1
OSx86 Soft Kext Helper b7, Kext Utility, MSR Tools and ShowAllFiles

Reboot and black. Reboot with iBoot and black again.

I think is the graphics card (OK, it's my fault, I don't know to make it work properly), because the Network, Audio, SystDef and USB works.

Can be I must to install DSDT & System Util., reboot, then Audio+System Utilities, reboot,....?

This is my first Hackintosh, so sorry for any inconveniences or mistakes. And thanks in advance, I'm learning everyday in this superb forum. Any tips are welcome.

PD: Sorry for my basic english, I'm improve everyday!!!

Select 32 bit Graphics Enabler =Yes and please delete ATI_Init from S/L/E using Finder and repair permissions using Kext Utility.

Once 32 bit works then try 64 bit

After I helped someone out get their 5770 working using Kabyl's boot and 64 bit, he's written a mini-guide.

I thought I'd post the link in case there are any of you who are still using ATI_Init and hasn't moved over to Kabyl's boot.

Take a look:
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10524

Also - there's a new Kabyl boot file out - rev700 for those who want to download.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

Install using ShowAllFiles or using Terminal commands

Terminal
- Download and extract the boot file from the Kabyl thread above
- Rename the boot file something like boot_kb_r700
- copy it to directly into your Snow Leopard drive (not in any folders - i.e. where you can see Applications folder, Extra folder, Library, etc)
- Launch Terminal
- The type:
Code:
cd /
ls

After typing "ls" you should see all the files and folders in your Snow Leopard drive and quite a lot more files than you can see in Finder.

Now you back to Terminal
Code:
mv /boot /boot_kb_mb303
cp /boot_kb_r700 /boot
The first code is to move/rename the exisiting boot file installed by MultiBeast to "boot_kb_mb303". This will keep the boot file saved and stored in case you need it again in the future but it is safely renamed so Chameleon won't load it. I'm using the full path names in Terminal i.e. "/boot" rather than just "boot" to minimse the possibility of errors here.
The second command is to copy the new kabyl boot file and rename it to "boot" - this is the one that Chameleon will load. The reason I've done copy instead of rename is so that again we have a copy of the original downloaded kabyl boot file in case you need it again in the future - then you don't have to re-download!

The final bit is just some house keeping and that's to set these files as hidden. This means that you won't see them in Finder and can't accidentally move/delete/edit them. Back to Terminal
Code:
chflags hidden /boot
chflags hidden /boot_kb_r700

Now reboot and you should be all good to go !!! If you aren't comfortable with Terminal the please use the ShowAllFiles version below. And remember you can always use iBoot to get back in if you make a mistake or it won't boot.

ShowAllFiles
- Launch the App in Applications (if you installed the app in MultiBeast)
- Click SHOW
- Navigate to your Snow Leopard drive in OSX
- Crtl+Click or right click on the file called "boot" (slightly greyed out to show it's hidden in finder) and click Get Info
- under name and extension - rename the file to something else like boot_kabyl_mb303 (Kabyl boot file - MultiBeast 3.0.3 - if you installed it this way)

- Download and extract the boot file from the Kabyl thread above
- Rename the boot file something like boot_kb_r700
- copy it to directly into your Snow Leopard drive (not in any folders - i.e. where you can see Applications folder, Extra folder, Library, etc)
- Crtl+Click or right click on the file called "boot_kb_r700" and select Duplicate
- Rename the file called "boot_kb_r700 copy" to just "boot"

Now you should be good to go! Relaunch ShowAllFiles and click Hide. Now you will see that in your Snow Leopard drive that the new boot_kb_r700 file and the boot file are no longer hidden ! So I would suggest that you open Terminal and do the final bits of coding from above to hide these two files so that you don't accidentally delete them.

Launch Terminal then type:
Code:
cd /
ls
You should see your boot and boot_kb_r700 and other files. Then:
Code:
chflags hidden /boot
chflags hidden /boot_kb_r700

I hope this works out for you guys and let me know how you get on. I'm just about to reboot and test the new Kabyl boot file. I'll let you know how I get on!

EDIT
All booted fine for me !!! No change in Cinebench scores tho ...

Hi All,

I was able to successfully run in 64bit mode using Jdutch101's guide. I basically started at "gg" because I already had a stable system running. Everything seems to be working fine, as far as I can tell.

The two things that are different now is that during boot up, it goes to Chameleon automatically, giving me an option to select which OS to run. I have a dual boot OSX/Win7 system. It really isn't a big deal, in fact I actually like it this way. The other thing is the Apple logo during boot up is now different than before, showing the nicer looking Apple logo with glossy look and light gray as compared to the one color dark gray logo I use to get. Is this happening to anyone else.

I checked System Profiler and it shows the "64-bit Kernel Extension: Yes" message. What are other methods of testing whether or not my system is running in 64bit mode?

o_mega05 said:
Hi All,

I was able to successfully run in 64bit mode using Jdutch101's guide. I basically started at "gg" because I already had a stable system running. Everything seems to be working fine, as far as I can tell.

The two things that are different now is that during boot up, it goes to Chameleon automatically, giving me an option to select which OS to run. I have a dual boot OSX/Win7 system. It really isn't a big deal, in fact I actually like it this way. The other thing is the Apple logo during boot up is now different than before, showing the nicer looking Apple logo with glossy look and light gray as compared to the one color dark gray logo I use to get. Is this happening to anyone else.

I checked System Profiler and it shows the "64-bit Kernel Extension: Yes" message. What are other methods of testing whether or not my system is running in 64bit mode?

The "glossy apple" splash screen is because in the com.apple.boot.plist file, there is a line which says
<kext>Default logo</kext>
<string>No</string>

Simply change this to yes, and it will load the default gray (boring) old apple loading screen.

J

P.S. glad to hear this guide is still helping a few people out there.

o_mega05 said:
Thanks jdutch for the line, but I dig the different logo.

Any clues as to what's making my system boot up to the chameleon OS select screen?

-O

Yes. Chameleon is actually a boot loader, much in the same way that a PC bios works. Essentially what happens is that once your machine POST's, the bios looks for the OS on your hard drive and begins the start up sequence, handing off the operation of the machine to the OS. On a Mac, there is a slightly different, more flexible method of booting the machine. An EFI boot loader has more options to load a variety of programs without actually being in an OS. It is similar to the BIOS in that it's job is to hand over control of the system to an OS, but unlike a BIOS, in many cases it has a built in option for the user to select the OS of their choice. Apple actually uses it's own EFI bootloader and this is why BootCamp is able to function the way it does on a Mac. This is also what Chameleon does. OOB, Chameleon is set up to allow you to choose an OS if there are multiple OS's present on the system. If you have two, as in your case, Chameleon will give you the option. Now, in my set up, the primary hard drive contains OSX and Chameleon. My Win7 OS is actually on a seperate drive all together which may be why my system boots OSX automatically. However, even if you are on a partitioned drive, you can add this option to your boot file and make Chameleon boot OSX straight away instead. Try googling this a little, but heres a link to get you started.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

At the bottom there is a procedure to make the OSX partition active, though the latest Multibeast is actually supposed to do this for you. Perhaps what you need to do is make the Windows partition inactive. I suppose its possible that both partitions are active, because the Windows installer does this by default. If that's the case, Chameleon is probably programmed to give you the option by default, instead of booting one or the other.

Anyway, that's about it for my knowledge of partition tables, etc. Good luck!

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back