Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's Second G5 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front PCB is held on by 2 screws that are clearly visible. They sometimes have a nut head on the end, so I've seen. They thread into the front wall of the case where the USB/FW/Audio holes are. The little LED plug at the top end just pops out of its socket.

If your front switch has the 18-pin male header at the bottom, it'll work with Alohacab's cable.

The front PCB is held on by 2 screws that are clearly visible. They sometimes have a nut head on the end, so I've seen. They thread into the front wall of the case where the USB/FW/Audio holes are. The little LED plug at the top end just pops out of its socket.

If your front switch has the 18-pin male header at the bottom, it'll work with Alohacab's cable.

That sounds simple enough. What I needed to ask, then, was how to remove the aluminum housing that covers the Pcb? I noticed that the pcb in your build pictures is completely exposed.

Also, I'm at the point now where I need to remove some of the motherboard offsets. What technique did you use to do it? David Chugg suggested using a hammer. Did you manage to pluck them off somehow or did you just cut them down shorter?

Sorry I can't help you with removing the switch cover, never done it.

The standoffs can be wiggled loose with a pair of pliers. Careful to go slowly with as little force as possible so not to torque the case wall. Keep the standoffs, you may use them later, never know.

Ersterhernd, are you using the laserhive motherboard tray as well? I'm trying to build mine but the all the PCI devices don't fit in the slots perfectly since the tray obviously raise it a little higher. Any suggestion?

If your tray was like mine, it's a 5mm thick piece of Perspex and there are 8mm standoffs that thread into it for a total height of 13mm. I found this was a little tight, so placed one small washer under each motherboard hole before securing the board to the standoffs. This gave nearly the perfect fitment for squarely seated pci-e cards.

If your tray is too low, the cards won't seat all the way into the pci-e slots, if its too high, they will not fit squarely into the rear slots of the case.

Ersterhernd

Yeah this case modding is HIGHLY addictive.

Two G5's under the Desk, Two G4 Cubes on TOP of the desk...

If your tray was like mine, it's a 5mm thick piece of Perspex and there are 8mm standoffs that thread into it for a total height of 13mm. I found this was a little tight, so placed one small washer under each motherboard hole before securing the board to the standoffs. This gave nearly the perfect fitment for squarely seated pci-e cards.

If your tray is too low, the cards won't seat all the way into the pci-e slots, if its too high, they will not fit squarely into the rear slots of the case.

Ersterhernd

Which washer did you place under the motherboard? Was it a washer from The Laser Hive kit? If so, was it one of the thick acrylic blue ones?

Also, I'd like to know how to secure the motherboard. Are we supposed to stack those thick washers (3 per standoff? )on the bottom 4 motherboard standoffs and then thread the screws? The instructions I downloaded are OK, but not very specific about how to use the multitude of screws nuts and washers.

Studio,

It was on my first G5 build that I used the LH tray. That was last year so my memory is a little foggy of exactly how it was done. If I recall, there are three of the acrylic washers on four of the standoffs, and one on the others. I added one small washer to this stack, that gave me the perfect height. I had them in my nuts & bolts drawer, I don't know the exact size. Sorry. My case was an odd duck, too. Didn't have a generic standoff pattern like you speak of.

On my Second G5 I built my own tray from an old midtower ATX case I had in the closet.

Ersterhernd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back