Contribute
Register

Ersterhernd's NUCiMac G4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi J,

I discovered a much easier way when I built my first iMac 20" project. It requires a couple of careful solder connections on the Molex DVI part you'll be using, but avoids having to obtain extra iMac pinned TMDS wires.

To Complete the DVI connection, I used this method of soldering the 1KOhm resistor directly to the DVI pins 14 and 16. I used an extra iMac G4 wire for pin 15, although it would have been just as effective to solder a small wire directly to the pin, so no additional pinned wire would be required. I did this work prior to connecting any of the other pins. To obtain a VEDID signal, I soldered TMDS 15 (hot pink wire) directly to 3.3V from the PicoPSU.

This turned out to be a simpler solution than rewiring the Vedid/Hot Plug Detect loop into the TMDS.

IMG_5028.JPG

Hope this helps.

Ersterhernd

Three questions about the iMac G4 neck:

1. My display is very loose, if opening up the base and tightening the screws near the vent doesn't work, would buying a replacement neck fix the issue?
2. Would buying an extra neck be worth it just in case of a failure or something? I found one for just under $50, and might keep it as a spare.
3. How easy would it be to install a new neck?

I wouldnt be spending the money on it. Is this a 20 or a 17 inch?

I'd be trying to find out where its loose first. If it is in the connection to the iMac, then a new one won't likely fix the problem. If its in the pivot points of the neck, this can be tightened up.

I always try repairing first. Much cheaper.

Hi J, the 34010 is slightly less tall than the older DC3217BY.

Be careful with this choice, as the 34010 has Intel HD4400 graphics which is only supported (I think) on mobile platforms, not officially on desktop CPU's.

Again, I may stand corrected on this, but beware you don't want to be dealing with an unsupported graphics chipset. No way.

Cheers!

Hi Ersterhernd.

Your work is amazing. What you did there is a dream come true for me.. You must be an engineer!

Speaking of engineer, what skills/knowledge do you think are needed to do this type of mod?

I had been building and overclocking PCs over 10 years now. But that's all I know. I just know what parts fits on what part and what power supply is required for systems. I've never done soldering (nor do I know how that works) and modify connections and so on.

I want to challenge myself and do more advanced mod like this. But I want to be prepared before I start tearing apart.

I am specifically worried about the display and power supply part. Those wires from iMac display seem to be very complicated to understand. Especially finding out what each strand of wire do. I can definitely follow instructions available on internet. But if I want to do something different, what kind of knowledge would I need?

I am also worried about tearing apart power supply as I'm only used to connecting nicely packaged power supply unit to components:lol:

What are some skills/knowledge that you think I should get a grasp on before I do this?

I am currently waiting for new NUC with Skylake processor and USB 3.1 Type C to come out.

Hi fyun,

The G4 is a great machine to mod, the most difficult part is finding a pristine specimen to start with. My skillset is limited compared to some others on this forum, but I never let that stop me. We only learn something by actually trying it ourselves.

There have been many of these G4 builds pop up in the last two years since I completed my original NUCiMac. The information available on the forum is immense and diverse, only you can decide how exactly you want to proceed. Just make sure you plan carefully before any cutting or other work begins.

The video connector portion of the project is definitely challenging, because the connecting pins are so small. That said, its much easier in the G4 than in G5, due to the differences in the iMac video connector that connects to the Logic board. The iMac G5 must be soldered, the G4 does not, due to the presence of the tiny pins.

Soldering tutorials are available on YouTube, I suggest watching a couple of hours worth. I have a basic soldering iron with a medium tip, but higher-end soldering stations with more versatility can be had for cheap. I recommend a 'helping hand' device that'll cost you about 10 dollars. It holds the wires while allowing you to do the soldering... VERY handy. I wish I'd bought one two years ago.

The power supply that several of the forum members have used is the included NUC power brick. The power cables have to be cut off and re-connected of course to the AC filter that comes in through the original rear cord on the iMac. Follow the tutorials carefully and make sure your lines are soldered correctly and secured to prevent any possibility of an AC short. The NUC power brick fits beautifully into the 17" iMac G4 and supplies enough DC voltage to the inverter, screen and NUC.

The Skylake versions are coming, it'll be interesting to see the compatibility (or lack thereof) to run OS X and use them in mods such as the iMac.

We use our iMac G4 every day. Its stable, quiet and still a conversation piece for all who see it when they walk into our kitchen. Its on 10.10.3 at the moment, without a single issue.

Hope this helps. Good Luck in your decision.

Ersterhernd

Thank you so much for the answer!Sorry about the late reply. I'm studying for CPA exam and this mod will be a treat for me as soon as I pass the exam!I received my 20 inch version and wow it was very difficult to find one. As soon as I received it, nostalgia went through me.. I first got to use this model when I was in middle school and fell in love. I think its still a great machine as is today, but I just can't wait to be able to use this in daily life. Power modification is a big dilemma for me right now, as it is difficult but also dangerous. But I believe in the same way as you said. I like to challenge myself to learn something new. And I really enjoy doing that.Anyways thanks for the help and I'll post some progress as soon as i get started on it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back