Contribute
Register

Dell XPS 12 (9Q33) OS X Mavericks Instillation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can synaptics touchpad in XPS12 9Q33 use three fingers with the help of VoodooPS2Controller.kext?

Start Windows 8.1
Go to the desktop, right click on the "Start" button, and open Disk Management
Select the C:\ partition, right click, and go to "Shrink Volume"
Enter the new size for the volume and click OK
Afterwards, right click on the empty space and select format
Format the new partition as NTFS
restart with the USB stick installed
Open Disk Utility once the installer has come up
Locate the newly created NTFS partition and select "erase"
Change the file system to HFS+ (MacOS Extended Journaled)
Exit Disk Utility

this method work for me xps12(9q23)

That's what I did but "MediaKit reports not enough free space on disk" even though it's a 30GB partition.

Remove your HDD/SSD. Put it in a safe place. Install a different HDD/SSD to experiment with OS X. That's the only way.

I do not own any other SSD and even if I did the SDD in the XPS 12 is not user removable. What I do have is a external USB HDD. I tried partitioning and installing to it. I finished the installation successfully and then booted once to complete user creation, then rebooted to install Multibeast but I got "still waiting for root device" error. I guess that's because it's an external drive?

I do not own any other SSD and even if I did the SDD in the XPS 12 is not user removable. What I do have is a external USB HDD. I tried partitioning and installing to it. I finished the installation successfully and then booted once to complete user creation, then rebooted to install Multibeast but I got "still waiting for root device" error. I guess that's because it's an external drive?

It means you have a USB issue. Check the verbose output for USB/ECH errors. Check BIOS settings for USB. Try ECHIhard=Y, USBBusFix=Y, or ECHIacquire=Y.

Or it could be you did not install USB3 drivers in Multibeast...

Also, did you install enoch on the same USB drive as the OSX installer? If you did, did you create a fat32 partition and a partition for the installer?

At first i used chimera for install. with a much to fast (20x) system clock and a rapid repeating keyboard.
after the installation epoch helped me to get a normal time back.

for chimera install:
i replaced the mach_kernel on the usb install drive. then installed osx with "-x" on the Notebook drive.
after that did a install on a usb-drive because the notebook got a original mach_kernel on the internal drive.
next replaced the mach_kernel on the usb drive and booted then my notebook via usb disk.
so i could replace the kernel in the internal disk. a bit tricky - but worked.

there are not much bios settings i can change...
intel-virtualisation - enabled
execute-disable bit - enabled
usb-ports - enabled
intel-AT Support - disabled

For the Graphics i used GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelAzulFB=11 (thank you rehabman)
Backlight is not adjustable. Testet ACPIBacklight with no success.
In DSDT i did not found any graphics card - no gfx0 igfx ?!

when started with the Framebuffer the display is brighter
Batterie works with ACPIBatterie
bluetooth is working most without changes sometimes it is broken
sound does not work - testet voodooHDA and ALC892 (DCPI Manager found 0x8086 9C20 and 0x8086 0A0C)

For the Graphics i used GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IntelAzulFB=11 (thank you rehabman)

You should try "Brightness Fix" from my DSDT repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

It will probably not work until the first display sleep. I use 'blinkscreen' from the ProBook Installer to force a display sleep/wake on login.

Your GFX0 device is in one of the SSDTs.

Same as brightness issue above.

sound does not work - testet voodooHDA and ALC892 (DCPI Manager found 0x8086 9C20 and 0x8086 0A0C)

Verify that you actually have ALC892. To use patched AppleHDA requires DSDT patches. You can use the same laptop repo, "Audio Layout 12" (change layout-id to 1), and "IRQ Fix".

At first i used chimera for install. with a much to fast (20x) system clock and a rapid repeating keyboard.
after the installation epoch helped me to get a normal time back.

for chimera install:
i replaced the mach_kernel on the usb install drive. then installed osx with "-x" on the Notebook drive.
after that did a install on a usb-drive because the notebook got a original mach_kernel on the internal drive.
next replaced the mach_kernel on the usb drive and booted then my notebook via usb disk.
so i could replace the kernel in the internal disk. a bit tricky - but worked.

there are not much bios settings i can change...
intel-virtualisation - enabled
execute-disable bit - enabled
usb-ports - enabled
intel-AT Support - disabled

Batterie works with ACPIBatterie
bluetooth is working most without changes sometimes it is broken

Did you install Epoch onto the internal drive after you copied over the new mach_kernal or were you booting from a USB drive that you installed it on? I can get it to boot into the faster version using the unibeast usb i used.

Update. Got it mostly working.

Working
Boots into OS X without using safe mode
1920x1080 resolution (there are graphic glitches but those go away when you change resolutions)

Semi Working:
Bluetooth - sometimes it is there and sometimes it isnt.
Trackpad - works with tap to click but not when i actuall click down on the lower portions of the trackpad designated as the button area. Have tried the latest VoodooPS2 drivers but no help.

Not working:
Wireless - Its an intel chipset so i know it wont work anyway. Going to try a small USB adapter
Power Management - Fans always seem on and cannot view battery info in tool bar
Audio
Touchscreen
Correct CPU not listed in about this mac.
Correct ram spec not listed in about this mac.

I will continue to mess around with it and see what i can come up with. Thank you for all of the help everyone.

Update. Got it mostly working.

Working
Boots into OS X without using safe mode
1920x1080 resolution (there are graphic glitches but those go away when you change resolutions)

Semi Working:
Bluetooth - sometimes it is there and sometimes it isnt.
Trackpad - works with tap to click but not when i actuall click down on the lower portions of the trackpad designated as the button area. Have tried the latest VoodooPS2 drivers but no help.

Not working:
Wireless - Its an intel chipset so i know it wont work anyway. Going to try a small USB adapter
Power Management - Fans always seem on and cannot view battery info in tool bar
Audio
Touchscreen
Correct CPU not listed in about this mac.
Correct ram spec not listed in about this mac.

I will continue to mess around with it and see what i can come up with. Thank you for all of the help everyone.

For power management, see here for clues: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html. PM on Haswell is a little different in that the kernel handles PM instead of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but otherwise is the same/similar.

For battery status (nothing to do with power management): http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Trackpad: What driver you should install depends on what trackpad you have.

For graphic glitches (if using Chameleon), try setting screen resolution "Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Audio requires knowing your codec id and finding/building a patched AppleHDA for it.

For power management, see here for clues: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html. PM on Haswell is a little different in that the kernel handles PM instead of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but otherwise is the same/similar.

For battery status (nothing to do with power management): http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-laptop-support/116102-how-patch-dsdt-working-battery-status.html

Trackpad: What driver you should install depends on what trackpad you have.

For graphic glitches (if using Chameleon), try setting screen resolution "Graphics Mode"=1920x1080x32:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

Audio requires knowing your codec id and finding/building a patched AppleHDA for it.

How do I find out my audio codec id? and what trackpad i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back