Contribute
Register

Chimera - Dual Boot Win7 / ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I come home today, I will try the suggestion from @Dil83. Maybe this will fix the issue. I will set the parameter to hd(1,1). The parameter hd(x,2) would boot up the NTFS partition, which don't work. -> Windows boot loader missing or something like this. Booting with the "windows reserved partition" always allowed me to boot up windows without any problem (manual).

Yes that is correct, I realized after I posted that you do have to boot Windows from the "System reserved" partition if that partition exists. So you have 3 hard drives in your system, and 2 of them are bootable OS X drives. If your parameter specifies either of the 2 OS X drives then it will be trying to make the Default Partition the EFI partition. Since the Chimera bootloader is installed on partition 2 of the OS X drives by default, the EFI partition is not bootable, so the boot parameter will be ignored.

Edit: P.S. I corrected my previous post

Try using the partition name instead:

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>"System-reserviert"</string>

This worked for me - Thanks!

Hello

First of all, I would like to say that i am new to this

After I found out that I need another hard drive (I have two now, 1 SSD (Where windows is installed) and another one is just hard drive for all my stuff) to install OS X 10.9 Mavericks, I exited the installation and wanted to just serach the web for more stuff. When it came to booting stage I get the messages like this " Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

In order to start using windows normally I have to boot it first from the USB (Unibeast) and choose windows from there.
How can i get rid from the chimera booting screen , I just want to get straigh to windows, I've never had anything like this before

Many thanks, Przebojowiec

...The left most drive shown in the selection menu should be your...Default Partition hd(0,2). The next selection to the right could either be your "Backup" drive or your Windows drive. So that drive directly to the right of your "Mountain Lion" drive in the selection menu is hd(1,X) as far as Chimera is concerned, and then the next drive to the right of that drive is hd(2,X) then hd(3,X), hd(4,X) and so on (X is the bootable partition). So from left to right the actual hard drive number starts at 0 and counts upward to as many drives as you have(disk0, disk1, disk2, etc...). So even though diskutil list shows your Windows drive as disk2, if it is the second selection on the Chimera boot screen then you would use disk1. If it's the third selection then you would use disk2.

So depending on where your Windows drive is in the Chimera boot selection menu, your parameter will look like this:
Code:
<string>hd(1,1)</string>

or

<string>hd(2,1)</string>

Let me know if this helps.

Dil83

OLD THREAD, newly read. Thanks for the post. Trying to get my head around this. Partitions between Windows, OSX, and Linux are always a bit different, and now this Chimera variant...enough to drive one crazy, though some of us might as well walk.

OK. I've got the following:

1) W7 on a separate HD
2) OSX (Mavericks) in THREE (3) separate installs on ONE (1) separate HD along with a separate HFS data partition
3) TWO separate NTFS Data HDs
4) Ubuntu install and swap partition, neither of which show up in the Chimera boot menu
5) Grub2 installed on the W7 mbr, which points and boots ALL three (3) OSes, but is not in play right now as I'm booting only from Chimera (Ubuntu and Grub2 will eventually be removed and the standard Windows boot loader will be restored to the mbr)

Right now I've set my OSX HD as my start-up drive in my BIOS, so Chimera comes up and shows, left to right:
1) OSX
2) OSX '
3) OSX''
4) System Reserved (which boots to W7) if manually

Associated and relevant diskutil info for the OS partitions is as follows:

/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X 75.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS OS X Data 655.2 GB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS OS X' 74.7 GB disk1s4
5: Apple_HFS OS X'' 76.7 GB disk1s5

/dev/disk3
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3
1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk3s1
2: Windows_NTFS W7 157.3 GB disk3s2
3: Windows_NTFS Z-Drive Backup 524.3 GB disk3s3
4: Linux_Swap 56.4 GB disk3s5
5: Linux 262.1 GB disk3s6

If I understand you, to boot to W7 by default, I would treat my Windows System Reserved (bootable) partition as if it were the 4th DISK, as that's its present location in the Chimera menu. Correct? and as it's the actual first partition on the actual drive, I'll still call it that, resulting in:

Code:
<string>hd(3,1)</string>

In MY situation, there's no discrepancy between the actual disk number and the location in the Chimera menu, but this is just coincidence, correct?

I really hate to foul up perfectly good systems, but that's exactly what we risk in making "improvements," no?

A related question, I think, is: which of the THREE (3) org.Chameleon.boot.plist files is actually read at startup on my system? I assume it HAS to be the one on the FIRST EFI partition (is THAT even where it IS?), as there are THREE (3) separate .plist files associated with the three separate OSX installs, and they can't each control the initial startup menu, and the data in them are read but only after the initial startup menu is past. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

"The naive assumption that 'it can't possible make things worse' is the cause of much harm in the world, technical and otherwise."

OLD THREAD, newly read. Thanks for the post. Trying to get my head around this. Partitions between Windows, OSX, and Linux are always a bit different, and now this Chimera variant...enough to drive one crazy, though some of us might as well walk.

OK. I've got the following:

1) W7 on a separate HD
2) OSX (Mavericks) in THREE (3) separate installs on ONE (1) separate HD along with a separate HFS data partition
3) TWO separate NTFS Data HDs
4) Ubuntu install and swap partition, neither of which show up in the Chimera boot menu
5) Grub2 installed on the W7 mbr, which points and boots ALL three (3) OSes, but is not in play right now as I'm booting only from Chimera (Ubuntu and Grub2 will eventually be removed and the standard Windows boot loader will be restored to the mbr)

Right now I've set my OSX HD as my start-up drive in my BIOS, so Chimera comes up and shows, left to right:
1) OSX
2) OSX '
3) OSX''
4) System Reserved (which boots to W7) if manually

Associated and relevant diskutil info for the OS partitions is as follows:

/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS OS X 75.0 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS OS X Data 655.2 GB disk1s3
4: Apple_HFS OS X' 74.7 GB disk1s4
5: Apple_HFS OS X'' 76.7 GB disk1s5

/dev/disk3
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk3
1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk3s1
2: Windows_NTFS W7 157.3 GB disk3s2
3: Windows_NTFS Z-Drive Backup 524.3 GB disk3s3
4: Linux_Swap 56.4 GB disk3s5
5: Linux 262.1 GB disk3s6

If I understand you, to boot to W7 by default, I would treat my Windows System Reserved (bootable) partition as if it were the 4th DISK, as that's its present location in the Chimera menu. Correct? and as it's the actual first partition on the actual drive, I'll still call it that, resulting in:

Code:
<string>hd(3,1)</string>
Correct

In MY situation, there's no discrepancy between the actual disk number and the location in the Chimera menu, but this is just coincidence, correct?

I really hate to foul up perfectly good systems, but that's exactly what we risk in making "improvements," no?

A related question, I think, is: which of the THREE (3) org.Chameleon.boot.plist files is actually read at startup on my system? I assume it HAS to be the one on the FIRST EFI partition (is THAT even where it IS?), as there are THREE (3) separate .plist files associated with the three separate OSX installs, and they can't each control the initial startup menu, and the data in them are read but only after the initial startup menu is past. Or am I missing something?

Many thanks.

"The naive assumption that 'it can't possible make things worse' is the cause of much harm in the world, technical and otherwise."

The org.chameleon.boot.plist read when you boot is the one in the /Extra file of the partition you choose to boot from. The initial startup is controlled from the Chimera/Chameleon boot loader. This gets you to the screen where you select your OS to boot.

Thanks, Going Bald. Thought I'd grasped it, but like to avoid those non-booting loops when possible. I'll give this a whirl and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back