Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. You recommend the X79S-UP5, but I've searched and nobody seems to be able to get the c606 chip to work, and therefore no one can use the SAS connectors.

Is this true?

I would like to find an up-to-date guide for buying a firewire card for my new Hackintosh.
Or do you recommend using a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter?

It seems that there are 2 different revisions of the GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. Rev. 1.1 has Ethernet issues as far as i know. Correct me if i am wrong.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide June 2013

Newegg is listing the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Discontinued.
Hopefully, the Z87 TH motherboards will be released shortly. However, we have to see if 10.8.5 supports Haswell. Oh, well...it's a fun time of the year. :D

I would greatly appreciate installation walkthroughs, tips/tricks, do's/don'ts - anything like that specific when using the exact builds from the buyers guides.

I've been searching this forum and YouTubing all week but still not totally comfortable with what I've found. I'm a software expert, but a hardware novice. I've installed RAM and Hard Drives many times, a few optical drives, but never a motherboard, processor or power supply.

I've searched for things like june 2013 customac guide, june 2013 customac install walkthrough,and then the individual pieces I'm trying to install together, but still not making much progress. Any suggestions?

I would greatly appreciate installation walkthroughs, tips/tricks, do's/don'ts - anything like that specific when using the exact builds from the buyers guides.

I've been searching this forum and YouTubing all week but still not totally comfortable with what I've found. I'm a software expert, but a hardware novice. I've installed RAM and Hard Drives many times, a few optical drives, but never a motherboard, processor or power supply.

I've searched for things like june 2013 customac guide, june 2013 customac install walkthrough,and then the individual pieces I'm trying to install together, but still not making much progress. Any suggestions?

Take a look here for starters. The Basics

Take a look here for starters. The Basics

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I should've started with that I checked the basics forum already, but since it's so brand new, there weren't any replies yet or many threads. If something like what I indicated in my last post doesn't exist yet, the Basics forum is the perfect place.

This site is a great resource and I greatly appreciate all the recommendations, updates and info available to us. Thank you again to tonymacx86 for creating this site, to all the moderators that help keep it running smoothly and all the brilliant posters that help make our lives easier.

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I should've started with that I checked the basics forum already, but since it's so brand new, there weren't any replies yet or many threads. If something like what I indicated in my last post doesn't exist yet, the Basics forum is the perfect place.

This site is a great resource and I greatly appreciate all the recommendations, updates and info available to us. Thank you again to tonymacx86 for creating this site, to all the moderators that help keep it running smoothly and all the brilliant posters that help make our lives easier.

You're welcome. The basics won't have any replies as it isn't for discussions. It is there for a helping hand. Getting famiiiar with the process is the best way to gain knowledge. There is a guide link at the top of the page for installation and forums for more help. Good Luck.

On the software side, the Basics looks like it will be very helpful. I know it's still in its infancy, but I think adding some hardware specific articles based on the buyer's guide builds would be helpful.

Maybe a hardware 101 for those that tonymacx86 & the Hackintosh community have inspired to build their first computer ever.

Side note - I have all my hardware installed into the Gigabyte motherboard and/or Corsair case, but now I have to figure out where all the wires/connectors go. I've been googling and YouTubing that, as well as searching the forums and looking at the manuals that came with them, but it's still not 100% clear. If anyone has any recommendations for a link here that would help clarify, it's using the standard CustoMac Pro build from the June buyer's guide.

Once I finally get this up and running, I will post a separate thread with the details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back